Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Potenially purchasing a '18 GTS - advisable to purchase without a warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 04:01 PM
Jespinal
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Potenially purchasing a '18 GTS - advisable to purchase without a warranty?

The looks to be in fantastic condition and I'm getting a good deal on it. Clean carfax, 2 owner. It's being sold from what looks to be like a pretty reputable dinner in California. 46k miles on the clock.

Should I be concerned about reliability/warranty on these cars with mileage /age?

Anything I should be looking out for?
Old 01-07-2024, 05:07 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 644 Posts

Make sure PDK service has been done. Due at 40K miles I believe.

Overall they are reliable but when they do break it's generally expensive (other than minor stuff). If you are concerned about unexpected repair costs, consider an extended warranty. Fidelity Platinum is a popular one with good reviews from Porsche owners here on Rennlist. @Highline-Autos.com here on Rennlist is a broker for them and could get you a quote (no association w/ them other than having been a customer).
The following users liked this post:
Highline-Autos.com (01-08-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 09:28 PM
mtalinm
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got a 17 S without warranty, but I want it for a project car. already tuned it and replaced the sound system. will probably lower it and some other stuff.
I had a Fidelity warranty on a VW Touareg and it was ... okay. paid for itself, but they wiggled out of a bunch of stuff I thought should be covered.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:11 PM
doctj
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Definitely get a PPI done if you can.
definitely a third party warranty.
higher mileage will definitely have issues and wear and tear and will be costly to repair (control arms, belts/tensioners, brakes, tires) so just know what you’re getting into
Old 01-08-2024, 09:49 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts
Default My adivce from a recent 2018 GTS purchase...

Last summer I had a fellow PCA member check it out a 2018 GTS, 38K miles, at a BMW dealership and purchased it, no Porsche PPI, and was surprised by 1. poor, soft, aftermarket brakes, 2. oil leaks from the cam cover gasket, 3. warped leather dash, 4. PDK sifter chrome cracked, 5. Air suspension sensory gone and 6. the windshieldneed replaced from irrepairable hazing ( hard water?). I suspect the whole bill was $16K? Fortunalty it had the remainder of an extended warranty on it that covered everything expect the brakes and the windshield, so I dodged a bit of a bullet there.

So my advice, fresh from a recent sale and bullet dodged:
1. Take it to a Porsche dealership and a get a good, complete, PPI done so you "know before you go"...
2. Get an extended warrantty on it - these are expensive to repair. I hear good things about Fidelity...

Last edited by Zeus993; 01-08-2024 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:42 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 355 Posts

Hey @Jespinal reach out for coverage information and pricing from our two extended warranty providers Fidelity and Freedom Warranty, repairs accepted at all Porsche dealerships and licensed independents in the US/Canada. I'd be happy to look at your options and discuss different values. You can reach me at tgibson@highline-autos.com or (855) 924-1333.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 01-09-2024, 12:13 AM
Jespinal
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 20 Posts

ugh man this is terrifying haha
There's a porsche dealership with a '17 GTS that they just got in and might be CPO'd - if it ends up with a CPO, i'd just might do that to avoid any potential headaches.

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Last summer I had a fellow PCA member check it out a 2018 GTS, 38K miles, at a BMW dealership and purchased it, no Porsche PPI, and was surprised by 1. poor, soft, aftermarket brakes, 2. oil leaks from the cam cover gasket, 3. warped leather dash, 4. PDK sifter chrome cracked, 5. Air suspension sensory gone and 6. the windshieldneed replaced from irrepairable hazing ( hard water?). I suspect the whole bill was $16K? Fortunalty it had the remainder of an extended warranty on it that covered everything expect the brakes and the windshield, so I dodged a bit of a bullet there.

So my advice, fresh from a recent sale and bullet dodged:
1. Take it to a Porsche dealership and a get a good, complete, PPI done so you "know before you go"...
2. Get an extended warrantty on it - these are expensive to repair. I hear good things about Fidelity...
Old 01-09-2024, 08:55 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by Jespinal
ugh man this is terrifying haha
There's a porsche dealership with a '17 GTS that they just got in and might be CPO'd - if it ends up with a CPO, i'd just might do that to avoid any potential headaches.
Yep.

Otherwise we're loving the car!

Good luck on your hunt, they're a great car, just know before you go, and keep us posted.

Last edited by Zeus993; 01-09-2024 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Potenially purchasing a '18 GTS - advisable to purchase without a warranty?