Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Is Macan S the best value performance vehicle on the market?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 04:50 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by texass4
Wish that were the case where I am. There's not a dealer within 500 miles of here that would give you a free ham sandwich with a new Macan purchase, let alone 7-9% off. Guess I may have to travel.

Back to the topic: the Macan is the best and the worst all at once. It is among the most expensive in its segment (there goes the value proposition), it's among the smallest (there goes the utility), and several others are faster (on paper). But, it's far more elegant (no iPad stuck to the top of the dash), rides and feels like a small luxury crossover should (looking at you, X3M) and doesn't rely on gimmicks (fake engine noise, etc) to overcome any deficiencies.

I used to own a Cayman S with a pickup for my DD. Sold both and got an '18 Macan Turbo. Loved it for what it was but hated myself for thinking it could replace both cars and scratch both itches. Sold it, bought a 997 and another truck. Still love the small car for weekends, still hate the truck every day. Now trying to find a 2022+ Macan S with juuuuust the right options spec so my wife doesn't have to hear me complain anymore.
Why don't you order one here and have it shipped to your place? You can get a lightly used 2023 CPO, nicely loaded with just below 70K. Here is an example: https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...er=mileage_asc

It is saying 74k but I am sure you can get it for 70k (I know you can negotiate with them) and it has only 2880 miles on and you have 6 years unlimited warranty.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 09:15 PM
texass4
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
Why don't you order one here and have it shipped to your place? You can get a lightly used 2023 CPO, nicely loaded with just below 70K. Here is an example: https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...er=mileage_asc

It is saying 74k but I am sure you can get it for 70k (I know you can negotiate with them) and it has only 2880 miles on and you have 6 years unlimited warranty.
I saw that one and I hound that site several times a week. I’m going to be a little picky on options though so that one’s out. I unfortunately had a nice long test drive in one with the thermally insulated windows and now I don’t think i could do without that one. I know some think it’s little to no gain, but I really liked the isolation. Plus, I’ll take any advantage I can at all to fight off the blast furnace Texas summer heat.

Air ride would be nice, ACC and Bose are a must, lane keep is awful (hated it on my ‘18 Turbo) and either black or red interior.

I plan on giving it a few more months then might just order one from a good dealer.
john981 (01-16-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 10:25 AM
jjl
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by texass4

Back to the topic: the Macan is the best and the worst all at once. It is among the most expensive in its segment (there goes the value proposition), it's among the smallest (there goes the utility), and several others are faster (on paper). But, it's far more elegant (no iPad stuck to the top of the dash), rides and feels like a small luxury crossover should (looking at you, X3M) and doesn't rely on gimmicks (fake engine noise, etc) to overcome any deficiencies.
This was precisely my thinking and experience when I test drove the Macan S, coming from a X3M40i - the M40i felt a touch faster (didn't really gun the tester Macan), more raw (take it or leave it), has more interior and cargo space, better gas mileage, and cheaper by a fair margin. Yet still, the Macan's interior felt higher quality and less gimmicky, doors felt more solid, happy to see some actual buttons and old school gauges on the dash, no fake exhaust sounds, the steering was sublime, and the whole thing was just solid (that word kept coming to mind). I'm going to be an empty nester soon so don't need the huge cargo/backseat anymore, and the Macan is a Porsche - the X3 never feels special getting into it, but I'll have a smile on my face every time I get into the Macan - order placed. Hearing that the ICE Macan won't be available in the EU soon makes me even happier about the purchase.

Last edited by jjl; 01-17-2024 at 10:41 AM.
chassis (01-17-2024)

Quick Reply: Is Macan S the best value performance vehicle on the market?