Macan 2014-Current

How to keep wife's low mileage grocery getter in shape

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 11:19 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 152 Posts
Default How to keep wife's low mileage grocery getter in shape

My wife has a 23 Macan S which is only driven few short distance trips per day. We all know that these short distance trips are not very healthy for these performance cars. I even don't know if the turbos ever kick in when she drives the car. I try to take it at least once per week for a longer ride and drive it on the freeway the way it is designed to be driven (at least within the given limits of our freeways). I also hook it up once per week on the battery charger and fully charge the battery. I intend to keep this car as long as possible. After 2 or 3 year I will get my wife another car and will take the Macan as my second car. What else can I do to keep the car in shape? I know there are many Macans like ours out there and I am wondering if other people go crazy with it the way I do. (I assume most of those other grocery getters are lease vehicles and the owners don't care much about it). Thank you in advance!
The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 10:37 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 644 Posts

I would be concerned too. I think your plan is the best you can do, reasonably. I don't think the battery charger is necessary, just lock the car when it's in the garage. They go into sleep mode when locked which drastically reduces battery demand. I think the factory battery is AGM so it should be fine.

Maybe get her a cheaper EV like a CPO Volvo XC40 to drive in town? Macan S seems like crazy overkill for that purpose alone. My buddy just leased a new Audi Q4 Etron for under $350/mo. They are literally giving them away b/c they can't sell them.

Last edited by Nickshu; 12-30-2023 at 10:39 AM.
Penstamin (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 11:20 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I would be concerned too. I think your plan is the best you can do, reasonably. I don't think the battery charger is necessary, just lock the car when it's in the garage. They go into sleep mode when locked which drastically reduces battery demand. I think the factory battery is AGM so it should be fine.

Maybe get her a cheaper EV like a CPO Volvo XC40 to drive in town? Macan S seems like crazy overkill for that purpose alone. My buddy just leased a new Audi Q4 Etron for under $350/mo. They are literally giving them away b/c they can't sell them.
Normally you are right, it is an overkill. But how many people own porsches and drive it like this? A friend of mine asked me recently if I could find a GT3 RS for his wife lol. And believe me his wife doesn't want that one for the track.
I bought the Macan initially for myself. My wife had a brand new Volvo XC60. One day I had the Volvo at the dealership to check something and gave the Porsche to my wife for that day. As I came back home, my wife told me to move all her stuff from the Volvo to the Porsche and with that being said the Porsche was hers :-) At least I am happy I could break in the engine before she took over. In 6 month we put 2700 miles on of which 1500 miles are break in miles.

I hope the way I do it will keep the car healthy enough that it does last for a while when I take it over again in 2-3 years.
TestnDoc (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 11:25 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by john981
Normally you are right, it is an overkill. But how many people own porsches and drive it like this? A friend of mine asked me recently if I could find a GT3 RS for his wife lol. And believe me his wife doesn't want that one for the track.
I bought the Macan initially for myself. My wife had a brand new Volvo XC60. One day I had the Volvo at the dealership to check something and gave the Porsche to my wife for that day. As I came back home, my wife told me to move all her stuff from the Volvo to the Porsche and with that being said the Porsche was hers :-) At least I am happy I could break in the engine before she took over. In 6 month we put 2700 miles on of which 1500 miles are break in miles.

I hope the way I do it will keep the car healthy enough that it does last for a while when I take it over again in 2-3 years.
My wife is a SAHM and daily drives a 2022 Macan GTS that we ordered high spec with basically with every option box checked. So I feel your pain.
john981 (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 12:01 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts

Change the oil more often. When the oil doesn't reach operating temp, condensation/water accumulation cannot be boiled off.
chassis (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 12:03 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
Change the oil more often. When the oil doesn't reach operating temp, condensation/water accumulation cannot be boiled off.
Do you mean time based or mileage based? I was planning to change the oil after 1 year where we will have probably 5k miles on the car.
Old 12-30-2023, 12:08 PM
GoTime
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Your wife sounds like the perfect candidate for the upcoming macan ev.
Old 12-30-2023, 01:56 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,379 Likes on 1,012 Posts

My wife has a 23 Macan S which is only driven few short distance trips per day. We all know that these short distance trips are not very healthy for these performance cars. I even don't know if the turbos ever kick in when she drives the car. I try to take it at least once per week for a longer ride and drive it on the freeway the way it is designed to be driven (at least within the given limits of our freeways). I also hook it up once per week on the battery charger and fully charge the battery. I intend to keep this car as long as possible. After 2 or 3 year I will get my wife another car and will take the Macan as my second car. What else can I do to keep the car in shape? I know there are many Macans like ours out there and I am wondering if other people go crazy with it the way I do. (I assume most of those other grocery getters are lease vehicles and the owners don't care much about it). Thank you in advance!
1. Italian tuneup now and then, using WOT and achieving redline a time or two.
2. Frequent oil changes - every 5k miles or not less than 12 months regardless of miles driven.
3. Maintenance on time or ahead of schedule: engine and cabin air filters, transfer case and transmission oil change, brake fluid replacement, etc.
4. Keep it washed.
5. Enjoy it!
George911 (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 03:05 PM
Penstamin
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

@Nickshu Great tip abut sleep mode, I don't lock my Macan in the garage, but will now
Nickshu (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 06:51 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 106 Posts

I would like to comment on charging the battery. Once a week is the maximum I would go if the car is used for short trips, esp if you wife drives in normal mode. I have found my 22 GTS barely charges the battery in normal mode, even at highway speeds, whereas in SPORT mode the battery immediately comes up to 14.7 V and stays there, no matter what speed or RPM you are driving. Even so, you can run a charge defficit if you go 5 or ten miles and start the car a few times as well. Bigger issue if your wife uses the Auto Start Stop function.
My charger has a current measurement function so I know how much current the car draws with the charger connected. When I drive short trips (under 10 mi) and I connect the charger after each trip, it reads 20+ amps (at 13.6V) for 20 or 30 seconds and then ramps down to under 5 amps a few minutes later. This means that the battery has had a charge defficit (even if I drive in sport mode) for that trip, otherwise a fully charged battery would not draw current. If I leave the car for a week of short trips, its drawing 20 amps for quite a while.
Ironically, my charger does not show any difference in current draw whether the car is locked or just sitting there unlocked, contrary to common understanding.
Old 12-30-2023, 07:51 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Penstamin
@Nickshu Great tip abut sleep mode, I don't lock my Macan in the garage, but will now
True for all modern VAG cars.
Old 12-31-2023, 01:41 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chassis
1. Italian tuneup now and then, using WOT and achieving redline a time or two.
2. Frequent oil changes - every 5k miles or not less than 12 months regardless of miles driven.
3. Maintenance on time or ahead of schedule: engine and cabin air filters, transfer case and transmission oil change, brake fluid replacement, etc.
4. Keep it washed.
5. Enjoy it!
I would love to do the Italian tuneup here and there but it is nearly impossible here in the US. The only way to do it is to find a track and do it over there. In germany I would do it all the time without any issues. The other thing of your list which is difficult is to keep it washed. Mine has ceramic coating on it and looks pretty decent without being washed for longer periods but the wheels look always dirty. I am just thinking to have one of the mobile detailers to come over and take care of it once per month.
Old 12-31-2023, 09:45 AM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,379 Likes on 1,012 Posts

I would love to do the Italian tuneup here and there but it is nearly impossible here in the US. The only way to do it is to find a track and do it over there. In germany I would do it all the time without any issues. The other thing of your list which is difficult is to keep it washed. Mine has ceramic coating on it and looks pretty decent without being washed for longer periods but the wheels look always dirty. I am just thinking to have one of the mobile detailers to come over and take care of it once per month.
Do you live near an interstate freeway? Do you live near a U.S.-designated Federal Highway? Easy WOT/redline opportunity. This can be done without exceeding the speed limit.

Wheels-only can be manually cleaned if you are averse to washing the car.

Last edited by chassis; 12-31-2023 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-31-2023, 06:02 PM
Penstamin
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Try a waterless wash on the wheels.
Old 12-31-2023, 08:10 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Penstamin
Try a waterless wash on the wheels.
That's what I was thinking and what I switched to exclusively for my cars. I use the below with a handheld foam sprayer. It's been an amazing time saver plus I can do it anytime in the garage. No swirl marks if used correctly.

DIY Detail Rinseless Wash
https://diydetail.com/products/rinseless-wash

iK Foam PRO 2 Pump Sprayer
https://www.autogeek.net/ik-foam-pro-2.html

​​​

Last edited by BMinSFL; 01-01-2024 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply: How to keep wife's low mileage grocery getter in shape