Notices
Macan 2014-Current

All Season Tires - Yokohama or Michelin or Pirelli

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 02:11 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 908 Likes on 546 Posts

Never bought anything but Michelin last half century.
Macan was delivered with Goodyear POS that I couldn't wait to wear out.
Finally got Michelin Latitude all season 4K miles ago, and very good.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:30 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 189 Posts

Pirelli Scorpion Zero AS+ seems like great tires. Mine came with Verde AS. I don't love it but don't complain too much since it's SUV tires. But I think I will try Zero AS+ for next set.

Old 01-04-2024, 07:35 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts

I guess the question is since you're in MO. I assume you're forced to drive in the snow sometimes? If so I'd lean for the highest rated snow capable all-season, Conti DWS-06 or Michelin AS-4 come to mind. I have brand new 20" Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seasons that came with the car, I've put 6,000 miles on them and very happy in all aspects including pushing the car in turns but have yet to drive in snow with them. From reviews their snow capabilities look very limited but I have a truck with real winter tires that I'll drive instead. If you're not worried about snow then you've got a number of options that you probably can't go wrong with.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:33 AM
Seapbmw
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Geolanders

Yokohama Geolanders came on our 2009 Cayenne S at 53k miles. We’re now at 97k miles and they need to be replaced, I’ve always loved Michelins so I’ll find what all season Tire Rack recommends for this vehicle. No complaints about the Geolanders though, great mileage and traction in deep snow.
Old 01-05-2024, 07:55 AM
AoxoMoxoA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Seapbmw
Yokohama Geolanders came on our 2009 Cayenne S at 53k miles. No complaints about the Geolanders though, great mileage and traction in deep snow.
Were they the X-CV tire, specifically?

How did they perform in spirited driving on the curves? Also, how was the road noise on the highways?

Last edited by AoxoMoxoA; 01-05-2024 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-05-2024, 08:18 AM
Seapbmw
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My comments below!

Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
Were they the X-CV tire, specifically?
No, just CV.

How did they perform in spirited driving on the curves?
Good, I would expect Michelins to corner better based on my past experiences.

Also, how was the road noise on the highways?
Good, I would expect Michelins to be quieter based on my past experiences.
The following users liked this post:
roule (01-30-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 10:03 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Don't overthink it, just stick with Michelin N-spec. By far the best of the Porsche spec tire options, either summer, all season, or winter. Slightly more expensive than other options but worth it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Vise:
gloryrd (01-30-2024), Nickshu (01-05-2024), Q 997.2 C4S (01-30-2024), roule (01-30-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 07:00 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BFT3.2
I guess the question is since you're in MO. I assume you're forced to drive in the snow sometimes? If so I'd lean for the highest rated snow capable all-season, Conti DWS-06 or Michelin AS-4 come to mind. I have brand new 20" Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seasons that came with the car, I've put 6,000 miles on them and very happy in all aspects including pushing the car in turns but have yet to drive in snow with them. From reviews their snow capabilities look very limited but I have a truck with real winter tires that I'll drive instead. If you're not worried about snow then you've got a number of options that you probably can't go wrong with.
Yeah we do drive in a little snow, but it's usually only a few inches, so it's not much. I've had the Michelin Latitude Tour HPs the past 5 winters and they did great, so I'll just stick to them instead of trying something different. I have the DWS on my BRZ and like them a lot, but I didn't see them available for my Macan. So I just ordered a set of Michelins to get installed next week and am looking forward to having new tires! If you do test your Verdes in snow, let us know how they perform. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2024, 11:00 AM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I have found the Pirelli Scorpion Zero Plus All Season to be just as good as the Michelin Summer tires that were on the vehicle when I bought it. I've pulled .9g on the Pirellis. Not bad for an all season. Excellent treadwear as well. (40k miles / set)

Last edited by ozziegt; 01-09-2024 at 11:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ozziegt:
isugoo (01-09-2024), Russian Mafia (02-04-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 09:00 PM
bluecab
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently bought a 2021 MacanS with 19,xxx miles and then put another 2,500 miles on the Pirelli Verde tires before replacing them with Geolandars. I probably had ten miles on the new tires before I very recently drove from St. Louis to St. Augustine Fl and back. Since I only had the Macan for about 4 months before I got the new Geolandars, I didn't have much history with the Pirelli tires, but I can say the Geolandars were definitely a lot quieter on interstate concrete pavement than the Pirelli tires.
Old 01-30-2024, 10:56 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Originally Posted by bluecab
I recently bought a 2021 MacanS with 19,xxx miles and then put another 2,500 miles on the Pirelli Verde tires before replacing them with Geolandars. I probably had ten miles on the new tires before I very recently drove from St. Louis to St. Augustine Fl and back. Since I only had the Macan for about 4 months before I got the new Geolandars, I didn't have much history with the Pirelli tires, but I can say the Geolandars were definitely a lot quieter on interstate concrete pavement than the Pirelli tires.
Hello to a fellow St. Louisian & congrats on your new Macan! And thanks for the feedback comparison on the Geolandar and Verde. The only Pirelli tires I've ever owned were the set of P-Zero Rosso that were on my 997 when I bought it. They were REALLY loud/noisy tires, so I've steered clear of Pirelli since then.
Old 02-02-2024, 03:15 PM
Dubbed743
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Just picked up a new-to me 2016 Macan S with Pirelli Scorpion Zero All-Season Plus, and I can confidently report that these tires are downright scary in the wet, bordering on unsafe. I have had the rear end break loose three times now during average five tenths driving on a local mountain highway. I'm not a pro driver, but I have had track education and I do understand vehicle dynamics and driving for the conditions, and these tires just let go with little notice. For the record, I've driven a relative's Macan Turbo quite extensively with both Michelin 5P and (later) Pilot Sport All Season 5s and never had any issues on the same road in the same conditions. This corroborates user doctj's comments earlier in the thread.

*Do not buy the Pirelli Scorpion Zero All-Season Plus*

I would also skip the Pirelli Scorpion Verde: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=176

"The Scorpion Verde All Season's weak performance in the wet comes as somewhat of a surprise, as this tire led wet traction results the last time we tested it. It also came as a surprise to Pirelli, who is investigating what may have caused the loss of wet traction. We noted a change in the plant where these tires were produced versus the ones we tested a year ago and wonder what influence this change may have brought to the equation. We'll update our report with any findings."

Edit: Pirelli has a dumb naming system

Last edited by Dubbed743; 02-02-2024 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:50 AM
doctj
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubbed743
Just picked up a new-to me 2016 Macan S with Pirelli Scorpion Zero All-Season Plus, and I can confidently report that these tires are downright scary in the wet, bordering on unsafe. I have had the rear end break loose three times now during average five tenths driving on a local mountain highway. I'm not a pro driver, but I have had track education and I do understand vehicle dynamics and driving for the conditions, and these tires just let go with little notice.
Thank you! I was white knuckled whole time I drove in the rain with the pirelli.

night and day difference between the garbage pirelli and the Michelin latitude hp I put on. The Michelin honestly did surprisingly well even in the snow we had here a few weeks ago. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again.

Last edited by doctj; 02-03-2024 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:41 AM
WillinEvergreen
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I live in the Colorado mountains and good snow capability is essential. My CPO 2020 base came with the Latitudes and I was not happy with their performance in even a few inches of snow. As I did on my prior two Q5s, I switched to Vredestein Quattrac Pros, which are very good in snow. They are snowflake rated and deserve the rating. I actually researched tires available for a '21 S, and the Quattracs are not available, which makes me reluctant to move up to the S.
Old 02-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Q 997.2 C4S
Racer

Originally Posted by Dubbed743
Just picked up a new-to me 2016 Macan S with Pirelli Scorpion Zero All-Season Plus, and I can confidently report that these tires are downright scary in the wet, bordering on unsafe.
Thanks for the additional data point. I'm seeing a pattern here on avoiding Pirelli.

Originally Posted by doctj
The Michelin honestly did surprisingly well even in the snow we had here a few weeks ago. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy them again.
My Latitude has worked well in light snow as well over these past 5 winters.

Originally Posted by WillinEvergreen
I live in the Colorado mountains and good snow capability is essential. My CPO 2020 base came with the Latitudes and I was not happy with their performance in even a few inches of snow. As I did on my prior two Q5s, I switched to Vredestein Quattrac Pros, which are very good in snow. They are snowflake rated and deserve the rating.
Thanks for the feedback on Latitude as well as the Vredestein in snow. Although the Latitude works well for my use case (mostly just cold weather), I'll add Vredestein to my mental notes for a potential future choice, in case I find myself moving somewhere with more snow.
The following users liked this post:
WillinEvergreen (02-03-2024)

Quick Reply: All Season Tires - Yokohama or Michelin or Pirelli