Macan 2014-Current

Things what don't work well on 23 Macan S

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 12:13 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Things what don't work well on 23 Macan S

While the Macan S is a fantastic car, there are few things which don't work properly or work whenever they want. That is pretty strange for such a luxury car and I was wondering if I am the only one experiencing these things. So far I have "only" a list with 3 things but I also have only 1000 miles on my car:

- Auto hold function: This is the worst auto hold function I have ever experienced on any car. To make it work, you have to push super hard on the brake and even when you do so, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't? What is that supposed to be Porsche???
- When I lock the trunk with the lock button on the trunk it makes always the beep beep of locking everything noise but sometimes it fold the side mirrors and most of the times it doesn't. So I really don't know if the doors are all locked or not and always go and push the button on one of the passenger doors to fold the mirrors and also make sure everything is closed. Here again, what the hell? Why is it some times working and most of the time not??
- Blind side monitor and lane change assist are terrible. There is too much going on in the side mirror. With the blinking of the blinker (which you can see on the side mirror) and blinking of the lane change assist yellow light and yellow light of the blind side monitor turning on and off (which is the same light as for lane change assist) I am more confused than anything else.

Am I the only one with these issues?

Last edited by john981; 08-17-2023 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-17-2023, 05:07 AM
BMinSFL
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
While the Macan S is a fantastic car, there are few things which don't work properly or work whenever they want. That is pretty strange for such a luxury car and I was wondering if I am the only one experiencing these things. So far I have "only" a list with 3 things but I also have only 1000 miles on my car:

- Auto hold function: This is the worst auto hold function I have ever experienced on any car. To make it work, you have to push super hard on the brake and even when you do so, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't? What is that supposed to be Porsche???
- When I lock the trunk with the lock button on the trunk it makes always the beep beep of locking everything noise but sometimes it fold the side mirrors and most of the times it doesn't. So I really don't know if the doors are all locked or not and always go and push the button on one of the passenger doors to fold the mirrors and also make sure everything is closed. Here again, what the hell? Why is it some times working and most of the time not??
- Blind side monitor and lane change assist are terrible. There is too much going on in the side mirror. With the blinking of the blinker (which you can see on the side mirror) and blinking of the lane change assist yellow light and yellow light of the blind side monitor turning on and off (which is the same light as for lane change assist) I am more confused than anything else.

Sounds normal. Coming from a Lexus as my daily driver, the first thing I noticed was that the electronics are not as dead-on consistent in the Porsche. You learn to live with it since the rest of the car is so good.

For the brake hold, I double pump the pedal and it seems to engage it predictably but I do miss the auto-hold function on the Lexus.

I haven't figured out the trunk lock thing but I agree it seems to behave differently at times however there may be an explanation but I don't use it enough to notice.

Is the issue with Lane Keep Assist? I don't think I have that feature on mine so its not an issue with only Lane Change Assist lighting.
Old 08-17-2023, 10:49 AM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 156 Posts

Ehh, not sure any of these are a quality issue with the vehicle..

For the auto hold your vehicle needs to be on a grade of 5% or more. It is intended for hills. You don’t need to mash it super hard like you are doing, just firmly and sharply.

For the mirrors, are you always using the same key? Is the other key inside the vehicle? If one key is set to fold the mirrors and the other is not you could expect this behavior.

Regarding the blind spot detection, I like having both the external visual confirmation that the turn signal is operating in combination with the blind spot indicator. I’m not personally confused by the two. The brightness of the LCA light in the mirror can be adjusted via the instrument cluster if you think that might help you differentiate between the two.

Having had blind spot detection on BMW and Mercedes, I like this method on the Macan the best.
The following users liked this post:
boyce89976 (08-18-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 11:07 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 967 Likes on 456 Posts

Another other oddity is when I wash mine it constantly locks and unlocks whether I'm carrying the key or not. Eventually it folds in the side mirrors even though it's set not to. Does it every time.
Old 08-17-2023, 11:16 AM
BMinSFL
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Another other oddity is when I wash mine it constantly locks and unlocks whether I'm carrying the key or not. Eventually it folds in the side mirrors even though it's set not to. Does it every time.
How close is the key when you wash it?
Old 08-17-2023, 12:20 PM
rdubu
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The auto hold and trunk lock with side mirror folding are quirky. The way LCA functions doesn’t bother me, but I disable the separate lane departure warning except for long highway drives. I’ve never had these features in a car, so I have nothing to compare. I would have preferred the car instead come with something like cross-traffic alerts which is more useful than any of the above imo.

If I have the fob in my pocket while washing the car it will lock and unlock, so I place it maybe 6-8 feet away or in the house.
Old 08-17-2023, 01:21 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 319 Posts

Happens to me too. If you are washing near the door handles, your movement may activate the lock function.
Old 08-17-2023, 02:02 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 480 Likes on 281 Posts

The auto-hold works pretty well on my '20 S. Takes some pressure to trigger it but not an excessive amount, and I don't have to double-pump it if the car is already at a standstill. It is also consistent. I wonder if it can be adjusted?
Old 08-17-2023, 02:06 PM
ram_g
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 70 Posts

Haven't been bothered by any of these in our '23 S.
- As stated previously, auto-hold is activated by a short sharp jab, not by pressing super hard. Works fine on ours.
- Have not noticed this, but that said, the locking sequence of one beep or two beeps seems to be a bit random on my 991.2 TTS, so maybe it's a Porsche thing.
- Working as designed, and does not bother me. Blind spot monitor and lane change assist are exactly the same system. It turns on when it detects an obstruction in your blind spot and it blinks only if you attempt to change lanes when it is on, i.e. it starts to flash to draw your attention in case you didn't notice it was on to start with. The position is very different from the signal indicator and hard to mix up, IMHO. For info, the system is identical to that in our previous Audi Q5, so probably shared across the VAG line - which is not a criticism, as it works well.
Old 08-17-2023, 02:08 PM
ram_g
Instructor

Only happens to me if the key is close by. Does not occur when the key is in the house and the car is outside or in the garage.
Old 08-17-2023, 02:17 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 319 Posts

I learned to drive with a manual transmission without hill hold function. So, I find the hold function particularly annoying and useless especially with its apparent random/irregular application.
Old 08-17-2023, 02:25 PM
ram_g
Instructor

Originally Posted by DBH
I learned to drive with a manual transmission without hill hold function. So, I find the hold function particularly annoying and useless especially with its apparent random/irregular application.
Well, yes, me too on the first part. I def. don't need any hill hold to drive properly. And it is fully pointless with an automatic transmission / PDK.

But the point is that it isn't random or irregular if activated as designed.

Last edited by ram_g; 08-17-2023 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Agree that it is pointless!
Old 08-17-2023, 06:59 PM
Spyder Bite
Pro

Received 732 Likes on 255 Posts

put the key in the vehicle while washing. It will not lock.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spyder Bite:
boyce89976 (08-18-2023), steveo17 (08-17-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 09:49 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by BMinSFL
How close is the key when you wash it?
Originally Posted by DBH
Happens to me too. If you are washing near the door handles, your movement may activate the lock function.
Just put the key in the center console while you are washing it.
Old 08-18-2023, 12:24 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Mmm, weird.

Auto-hold - as pointed out, should auto-hold when you come to a hill / gradient and stop. It will then apply the brakes and hold you. Its a little aggressive, but it does work. There is a manual option, where you press down on the brake a little harder so that you dont have to have your foot on the brake for a 'faster' get away I guess. I find this works well. My old C63S had this as I believe its a Mercedes thing. Works exactly the same - I guess its shared technology?

Locking via the trunk button - works perfectly for me. Could this be different behavior based on the key you are using? I might be wrong here, but I think it might be an option tired to the key. I think you can change the behavior of the folding mirrors based on the key so that might be worth looking at.

Blind spot and lane change - yeah, the Porsche lane change stuff isnt great. Turn it off and go from there. I hate that "burrrp, burrrp" thing. Other manufacturers do a better job here. Blind spot? Yeah, that works well for me and I like it. To be honest, I prefer the warning tone, but the light in the mirror works well. Had a couple of other cars with this and in comparison the Porsche system is pretty good (though I believe its an Audi feature first and then passed down to Porsche).

Quick Reply: Things what don't work well on 23 Macan S