Macan 2014-Current

Looking for a DIY Thread or Video on Transfer Case Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2023, 02:05 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Looking for a DIY Thread or Video on Transfer Case Swap

I just bought a 2015 Turbo, so the extended 7-year warranty period for the transfer case is up and mine is bad (I pulled the transfer case plug to verify and it’s smooth as silk in FWD mode).

I have a Genuine Porsche reman transfer case on the way. Rather than having my indy replace it, I would like to replace it myself if I can find some guidance. I have a lift, and when I was under it last night unplugging the transfer case harness, it didn’t look that difficult to get at the bolts holding onto the transmission. Although not a professional mechanic, I do a lot of my own maintenance on my cars.

So, anybody know of a write-up or video on how to swap out the transfer case?

Thanks!

(pics attached because, well, we all like pics)

Last edited by FRUNKenstein; 08-15-2023 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2023, 11:11 AM
RandyL
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I don’t have a resource for you but encourage you to post whatever you find here for any of us who encounter the situation in the future. I also have no extended warranty and would consider attempting the replacement like you are. Would you mind relaying how mouth the reman case cost?

Good luck with the fix, and thanks!
Old 08-13-2023, 01:17 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RandyL
I don’t have a resource for you but encourage you to post whatever you find here for any of us who encounter the situation in the future. I also have no extended warranty and would consider attempting the replacement like you are. Would you mind relaying how mouth the reman case cost?

Sure, I ordered the Genuine Porsche reman transfer case, part number 95B-341-010-AX (the X signifying a rebuilt part) from eEuroparts.com. Price was $1,311.95. Also ordered a one liter bottle of Rein transfer case fluid for BMW & Porsche for $37.95. Shipping was free and they gave me a $10 credit for creating an account. With sales tax, the total was $1,461.83. They have a rewards program, so apparently I will get about $60 off anything I order from them in the future.

One other note, their compatibility system was telling me that the part would fit a 2018 Macan, but not a 2015, 16 or 17. So, I had left a voicemail the night before (Friday night) asking why they were showing it wouldn’t fit any year before 2018 when that is the exact part number the earlier cars use also. I got a call back on Saturday, and that’s when I ordered (over the phone). The customer service rep was very helpful. Although I have never heard of this company, their price for the part was about $100 cheaper than other parts houses and they showed it as in stock. He’s a link to the part: https://eeuroparts.com/product/genui...he/95B341010AX

I have seen remanufactured transfer cases as low as $1,200 on eBay, but they aren’t Genuine Porsche and are shipped directly from China, so I figured the extra $112 was probably money well spent. However, if anyone buys one of those, please post up your experience in this thread with the purchase process, shipping time and product quality because as more of these cars age out of the extended warranty period, the DIY crowd will no doubt grow.

As for creating a DIY, if I can’t find one before the part arrives, I’ll do one myself. It doesn’t look bad (famous last words), but Porsche does seem to have quirks when doing relatively simple tasks (like filling the transfer case on a Macan or changing the oil on pretty much any 911). So, I really hate to go at this blind.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 01:31 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RandyL
RandyL - I just noticed that you are in Bend, OR. My current avatar pic was taken in Bend. I bought my 914 from Pete Olson, in case you know him, tell him that I still love the car!
chassis (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 01:39 PM
RandyL
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FRUNKenstein
RandyL - I just noticed that you are in Bend, OR. My current avatar pic was taken in Bend. I bought my 914 from Pete Olson, in case you know him, tell him that I still love the car!
Small world! I belong to the local PCA Region, High Desert Region, and see that "Peter Olson" is a member. I haven't met him but will keep my eye out for him and pass your comment along.
The following 2 users liked this post by RandyL:
chassis (08-13-2023), FRUNKenstein (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 04:38 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Sure, I ordered the Genuine Porsche reman transfer case, part number 95B-341-010-AX (the X signifying a rebuilt part) from eEuroparts.com. Price was $1,311.95. Also ordered a one liter bottle of Rein transfer case fluid for BMW & Porsche for $37.95. Shipping was free and they gave me a $10 credit for creating an account. With sales tax, the total was $1,461.83. They have a rewards program, so apparently I will get about $60 off anything I order from them in the future.

One other note, their compatibility system was telling me that the part would fit a 2018 Macan, but not a 2015, 16 or 17. So, I had left a voicemail the night before (Friday night) asking why they were showing it wouldn’t fit any year before 2018 when that is the exact part number the earlier cars use also. I got a call back on Saturday, and that’s when I ordered (over the phone). The customer service rep was very helpful. Although I have never heard of this company, their price for the part was about $100 cheaper than other parts houses and they showed it as in stock. He’s a link to the part: https://eeuroparts.com/product/genui...he/95B341010AX

I have seen remanufactured transfer cases as low as $1,200 on eBay, but they aren’t Genuine Porsche and are shipped directly from China, so I figured the extra $112 was probably money well spent. However, if anyone buys one of those, please post up your experience in this thread with the purchase process, shipping time and product quality because as more of these cars age out of the extended warranty period, the DIY crowd will no doubt grow.

As for creating a DIY, if I can’t find one before the part arrives, I’ll do one myself. It doesn’t look bad (famous last words), but Porsche does seem to have quirks when doing relatively simple tasks (like filling the transfer case on a Macan or changing the oil on pretty much any 911). So, I really hate to go at this blind.
Following. If it were mine, I would replace fasteners. In the KC metro hopefully you can piece together a full set of in-stock fasteners among the dealers in the area, in the scenario one dealer doesn't have sufficient numbers of fasteners in stock.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:48 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chassis
Following. If it were mine, I would replace fasteners. In the KC metro hopefully you can piece together a full set of in-stock fasteners among the dealers in the area, in the scenario one dealer doesn't have sufficient numbers of fasteners in stock.
That’s good advice - thanks, chassis!
chassis (11-01-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 07:51 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 186 Posts

Porsche does seem to have quirks when doing relatively simple tasks (like filling the transfer case on a Macan or changing the oil on pretty much any 911). So, I really hate to go at this blind.
I find performing an oil change on a 911 to be straight forward and there are a lot more 911 DIY’s than for the Macan. It seems Macon owners are less likely to adventure into DIY. In the past I have typically done all my own maintenance and some pretty hairy stuff on my 911 and Mercedes. These days I’d rather give it to the dealer.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:12 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
I find performing an oil change on a 911 to be straight forward and there are a lot more 911 DIY’s than for the Macan. It seems Macon owners are less likely to adventure into DIY. In the past I have typically done all my own maintenance and some pretty hairy stuff on my 911 and Mercedes. These days I’d rather give it to the dealer.
The trick with oil changes on a 911 is that they have multiple drain plugs (my 996tt has 4) and you can’t just fill them with the amount of oil they’re supposed to have for fear of overfilling. I had a friend who was a certified BMW and Mercedes tech (worked for the local dealerships) who changed the oil on my 964 and inadvertently overfilled it.

But, yes, you’re correct that it’s really nice to not have to mess with it!

Last edited by FRUNKenstein; 08-13-2023 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:17 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

OK, I found this transfer case rebuild thread on MacanForum.com with some very good info. I will still do a DIY on just the swap with more detail for the removal and replacement portion for those of us buying a reman unit rather than rebuilding it ourselves.

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/2...ebuild.189491/

Would still love to find another thread or two on the topic.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:56 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey @FRUNKenstein , I am in the same boat as you. 2015 Macan with 101k miles and I am getting symptoms of the transfer case issue. I'm wondering why you didn't try to change the fluid first? I remember reading a couple years ago that some owners had good luck with just replacing the fluid. Did you ever put together the DIY for the swap?

I can't find the transfer case on eEuroparts, can you provide a link?

Last edited by ozziegt; 10-28-2023 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2023, 11:46 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ozziegt
Hey @FRUNKenstein , I am in the same boat as you. 2015 Macan with 101k miles and I am getting symptoms of the transfer case issue. I'm wondering why you didn't try to change the fluid first? I remember reading a couple years ago that some owners had good luck with just replacing the fluid. Did you ever put together the DIY for the swap?

I can't find the transfer case on eEuroparts, can you provide a link?

Hi Ozzie: I probably should have tried changing the fluid first, and that's probably a good preliminary step in troubleshooting before swapping out the transfer case. So, hopefully someone reading this will give it a shot. Let us know if that works for you if you try the fluid swap. I had a 2015 MBZ GLA 250 with a noisy rear differential last spring, and a fluid swap eliminated about 90% of the noise (at least for now). So, it makes sense.
As for eEuroparts, they canceled my order about 4 days after I placed my order, stating that the part was no longer available. Then, I noticed they removed the listing from their website. When I went to order from another vender (like Gaudin Parts), they required a pretty significant core charge (I think it was around $400), plus the part was a bit more expensive. And, everyone else charged shipping of around $150 (plus you'd have to pay to ship the core back). In the end, I ordered a reman unit from eBay. The reman unit came with the same 2-year warranty as the Porsche Genuine unit. Plus, it came with a vibration damper installed. The cost was $1,250 with free shipping and no core charge.
I would rather have bought the Porsche Genuine reman, but for the price differential, I thought it was worth trying the eBay reman (even though it shipped from China). The list price on the eBay unit is $1,400, but they accepted an offer of $1,250 for it. I posted a bunch of pics on MacanForum.com of the reman transfer case (it is a Porsche unit, just remanufactured in China). Also posted pics and notes for the process of swapping. Here's a link:

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/2...3#post-2769200

The nice thing was was that the part I swapped in did not require recalibration. Also, I believe the Porsche Genuine reman units may require purchasing the updated transfer case control unit. I just swapped the old control unit over to the reman unit, and it worked perfectly.

Last edited by FRUNKenstein; 10-30-2023 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-31-2023, 08:50 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 115 Posts

Hi Ozzie: I probably should have tried changing the fluid first, and that's probably a good preliminary step in troubleshooting before swapping out the transfer case. So, hopefully someone reading this will give it a shot. Let us know if that works for you if you try the fluid swap. I had a 2015 MBZ GLA 250 with a noisy rear differential last spring, and a fluid swap eliminated about 90% of the noise (at least for now). So, it makes sense.
As for eEuroparts, they canceled my order about 4 days after I placed my order, stating that the part was no longer available. Then, I noticed they removed the listing from their website. When I went to order from another vender (like Gaudin Parts), they required a pretty significant core charge (I think it was around $400), plus the part was a bit more expensive. And, everyone else charged shipping of around $150 (plus you'd have to pay to ship the core back). In the end, I ordered a reman unit from eBay. The reman unit came with the same 2-year warranty as the Porsche Genuine unit. Plus, it came with a vibration damper installed. The cost was $1,250 with free shipping and no core charge.
I would rather have bought the Porsche Genuine reman, but for the price differential, I thought it was worth trying the eBay reman (even though it shipped from China). The list price on the eBay unit is $1,400, but they accepted an offer of $1,250 for it. I posted a bunch of pics on MacanForum.com of the reman transfer case (it is a Porsche unit, just remanufactured in China). Also posted pics and notes for the process of swapping. Here's a link:

https://www.macanforum.com/threads/2...3#post-2769200

The nice thing was was that the part I swapped in did not require recalibration. Also, I believe the Porsche Genuine reman units may require purchasing the updated transfer case control unit. I just swapped the old control unit over to the reman unit, and it worked perfectly.
You are not concerned about service life or longevity of Chinese parts? There is just something about Chinese replacement parts in a Porsche...
Old 11-01-2023, 10:54 AM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 304 Likes on 199 Posts

Yea...the German Transfer Case parts were so good.......
Old 11-02-2023, 05:33 AM
ahhprods
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure if it applies, but there’s a transfer case recall that applied to my 2016 macan s. Dealer replaced it no charge last year.

Quick Reply: Looking for a DIY Thread or Video on Transfer Case Swap