Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Can't make my mind up on my build!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 01:43 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Can't make my mind up on my build!

Black GTS - LOVE the GTS packages and the interior options. The GTS package offers me the wheels I really want. Don't really like black paint but HATE that the exterior GTS package makes you have the black mirrors and side blades so the black paint make the mirrors and side blades body color.
https://configurator.porsche.com/en-...dFrom=PRELMIU1

Chalk GTS - LOVE Chalk! Love the body colored blades and mirrors. Not a fan of the default wheels ONLY because I feel like those wheels would be hard to clean and cleaning the brake calipers difficult. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to cleaning my car. I like being able to have cooled seats by not having the GTS interior package. I prefer the chalk deviated stitching over the red deviated stitching for this build.
https://configurator.porsche.com/en-...dFrom=PRZQ9GY2

Would love comments and opinions. I get it's all personal taste.... just like to hear others comments. Does Chalk get boring or old? When it's clean does it shine or is it kind of dull? Are the default GTS wheels hard to keep clean?
Old 07-30-2023, 02:25 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

Chalk does not get boring, especially if you get it ceramic'd.

I thought the GTS came standard with PSCB. If so, no worries about clean wheels. If not, worth paying for PSCB if you have to.
The following users liked this post:
NickS (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 02:32 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Chalk does not get boring, especially if you get it ceramic'd.

I thought the GTS came standard with PSCB. If so, no worries about clean wheels. If not, worth paying for PSCB if you have to.
I ceramic coat my own cars so it would be coated. PSCB are standard on the GTS.... good point!
Old 07-30-2023, 05:39 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 671 Posts

I had those same "cloverleaf" wheels on my GT4. They are very easy to keep clean. Our 2022 Macan GTS has the RS Spyder wheels (These were the GTS wheels in 2022), they are a huge PITA to clean, but once clean they look amazing. I have developed a system using angled wheel brushes of different sizes and boars hair brushes that makes it pretty easy to clean the wheels, but it is time consuming!!

I optioned black calipers b/c with every Porsche I have owned w/ red or yellow calipers it's difficult to keep them looking good. Very happy w/ them. With PSCB there is virtually no brake dust.

Last edited by Nickshu; 07-30-2023 at 05:41 PM.
NickS (07-31-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 06:20 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 419 Posts

I just had a conversation with my ceramic/PPF guy about black cars. If you’re OCD don’t get it. Chalk is beautiful, but I agree that it doesn’t look it’s best with black side blades. Good on the surround view and LCA, visibility is one of the few areas I can think of where this GTS doesn’t excel (Only?). I’ve gotten carbon trim in other recent Porsches and it’s pretty non-descript. The standard trim is extremely well done and really lifts the feel of the cabin. I like the stock interior more than any P car I’ve had and they were more custom. Nod to my SA for keeping it more stock. As for the 18 way seats, these are as good as any P seat I’ve had. Hope you love them as much as I do. The vented seats work really well. Loud but effective. As for roof material, I just didn’t notice a difference in priors as between that and stock. I went with stock in my GTS and it’s even less noticeable given how it transition sfrom pillar to roof.

As for the wheels, I got that wheel with Polar Silver and PS side blades. It works but there’s A LOT of contrast between the wheels and paint. I’m fine with it after a few days of adjustment. With PS and black wheels it’s almost Range Roverish and chalk might give it the same effect. Nothing at all wrong with that but try to get a sense whether you’ll like it and the configurator won’t do that.
NickS (07-31-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 06:48 PM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

Black is so tough to keep clean. So if it's Black v. Chalk, then Chalk. That said, Papaya over Beige leather is how I'll do my next one! Especially in GTS trim, going Papaya is awesome. No need for a conservative color, when you've got the performance to back it up.

-James
Denver, CO
Old 07-30-2023, 07:22 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 115 Posts

Did you consider Gentian blue? I have a GTS in that color and its dark enough (without being black) for the dark plastic trim bits to stealth in with the paint. I think chalk is closer to white and I do not like the black grill bits and black side blades in contrast with the lighter paint. I have a black leather interior (not my first choice but I bought the car already equipped from a dealer) with the blue deviated stitching and CF trim. I am replacing the black OEM alloys with P101 HREs in stone dark clear (close to anthracite) which looked great when I had them on my cobalt blue 911. Ther HREs are very easy to clean.
NickS (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 07:23 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I had those same "cloverleaf" wheels on my GT4. They are very easy to keep clean. Our 2022 Macan GTS has the RS Spyder wheels (These were the GTS wheels in 2022), they are a huge PITA to clean, but once clean they look amazing. I have developed a system using angled wheel brushes of different sizes and boars hair brushes that makes it pretty easy to clean the wheels, but it is time consuming!!

I optioned black calipers b/c with every Porsche I have owned w/ red or yellow calipers it's difficult to keep them looking good. Very happy w/ them. With PSCB there is virtually no brake dust.
I'm good at cleaning wheels but I've tried my very best over the years to stay away from really intricately designed wheels because they are a PITA to clean. It's just that in the case with the CHALK I think the RS wheels look better and I don't have to pay anything more to get a good looking wheel. I am curious how much cleaner the entire wheel and brake package will be with the PSCB's.
Nickshu (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 07:25 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DHL
Did you consider Gentian blue? I have a GTS in that color and its dark enough (without being black) for the dark plastic trim bits to stealth in with the paint. I think chalk is closer to white and I do not like the black grill bits and black side blades in contrast with the lighter paint. I have a black leather interior (not my first choice but I bought the car already equipped from a dealer) with the blue deviated stitching and CF trim. I am replacing the black OEM alloys with P101 HREs in stone dark clear (close to anthracite) which looked great when I had them on my cobalt blue 911. Ther HREs are very easy to clean.
I did in fact. I built a GB with the GB deviated interior in black and it looked stunning. I'm just not a blue car person. I spent probably 20-30 minutes looking at pics and videos online of GB Macans (and 911's) to really see what it might look like in different light. It's beautiful but again, just not me.
Old 07-31-2023, 09:04 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by NickS
I'm good at cleaning wheels but I've tried my very best over the years to stay away from really intricately designed wheels because they are a PITA to clean. It's just that in the case with the CHALK I think the RS wheels look better and I don't have to pay anything more to get a good looking wheel. I am curious how much cleaner the entire wheel and brake package will be with the PSCB's.
Tons cleaner. Having owned a few Porsches w/ stock brakes their stock brake pads make tons of dust. I usually change them out for ceramic pads which helps, but PSCB is even better than that as far as minimal brake dust.
NickS (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 11:47 AM
jjhasluck
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NickS
Black GTS - LOVE the GTS packages and the interior options. The GTS package offers me the wheels I really want. Don't really like black paint but HATE that the exterior GTS package makes you have the black mirrors and side blades so the black paint make the mirrors and side blades body color.
https://configurator.porsche.com/en-...dFrom=PRELMIU1

Chalk GTS - LOVE Chalk! Love the body colored blades and mirrors. Not a fan of the default wheels ONLY because I feel like those wheels would be hard to clean and cleaning the brake calipers difficult. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to cleaning my car. I like being able to have cooled seats by not having the GTS interior package. I prefer the chalk deviated stitching over the red deviated stitching for this build.
https://configurator.porsche.com/en-...dFrom=PRZQ9GY2

Would love comments and opinions. I get it's all personal taste.... just like to hear others comments. Does Chalk get boring or old? When it's clean does it shine or is it kind of dull? Are the default GTS wheels hard to keep clean?
I’ve got a 2021 GTS in Chalk over Black leather 14-ways with ventilated seats. i have body colored blades, mirrors so it is a uniform look. Much better than the black accent pieces IMHO. Black spider wheels too. That are a PIA to clean, but I have a guy . . .

I love the Chalk BUT I have to say that a lot of car companies are using/copying that look these days. It does burn me a little to see copycats in everything from Audis to Kias. Kind of annoying.

If you go black interior I recommend the carbon fiber interior trim. It lightens things up a bit.
NickS (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 02:26 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Another vote for Chalk here. Seen a couple of cars in Chalk and it looks great in the metal. Both times it was away from a dealer, so they werent perfectly clean. Seemed to disguise the dirt really well and the 911 that I saw looked great right up to standing next to it!
NickS (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 12:57 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Tons cleaner. Having owned a few Porsches w/ stock brakes their stock brake pads make tons of dust. I usually change them out for ceramic pads which helps, but PSCB is even better than that as far as minimal brake dust.
Awesome to hear. The wheels on my previous Macan GTS would get dirty so fast... I hated it. But I had the 5 spokes on it so they were easy to clean at least.

2017 GTS
Old 08-02-2023, 12:00 AM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Another vote for Chalk. I almost grabbed a Chalk GTS late last year. Amazing vehicle, but I decided I didn't need all the extra stuff the GTS had.
NickS (08-02-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 01:32 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Is Chalk flat or metallic? I saw somewhere that Chalk was pearlescent????

Quick Reply: Can't make my mind up on my build!