Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Can't make my mind up on my build!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 01:44 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

Edit, my mistake. Listed as "Special color $2910. Not metalic. says so on the configinator. Looks metallic anyway.

Last edited by Terry Adams; 08-02-2023 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2023, 01:57 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Edit, my mistake. Listed as "Special color $2910. Not metalic. says so on the configinator. Looks metallic anyway.
Yeah... I looked everywhere (in my build, configurator, etc..) and never saw any mention of it being metallic. When I saw the color I didn't remember it being metallic either.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:35 PM
nc.detail
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NickS
Is Chalk flat or metallic? I saw somewhere that Chalk was pearlescent????
chalk is flat - no flake or pearl
Old 08-03-2023, 08:47 AM
jjhasluck
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nc.detail
chalk is flat - no flake or pearl
I would describe it more as “Creamy”. It is not metallic or “flat” in the sense of those new colors (and wraps) that have no shine.

it really is a beautiful color that changes in different lights. Just wish others weren’t copying it 🤣.
Old 08-03-2023, 08:55 AM
nc.detail
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjhasluck
I would describe it more as “Creamy”. It is not metallic or “flat” in the sense of those new colors (and wraps) that have no shine.

it really is a beautiful color that changes in different lights. Just wish others weren’t copying it 🤣.
I hear you; solid paint is the correct term as compared to flat which better describes the matte or satin look. My macan is chalk and I'm a fan, it has a different hue as compared to audi nardo or the likes.
Old 08-03-2023, 08:32 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Someone(s) please help! I need to see a real picture of a standard 2023 GTS wheel in leather. NOT the sport steering wheel. I read that the configurator does not show the standard wheel correctly and that the standard wheel does NOT have the bulged thumb rest at 10 & 2. My 2017 GTS had a nice thick steering wheel. My 2023 Macan T had the sport steering wheel and I didn't like it because it was a "thin" steering wheel. I read that the standard steering wheel is thicker and because the picture in the configurator shows it looking like the sport steering wheel I selected it. I need to decide before my order is frozen.

*edit* I found this..... clearly doesn't have the thumb bulges but it does look thicker. Hope someone can still help... especially with comments about the wheel thickness.

Last edited by NickS; 08-03-2023 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2023, 11:17 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 419 Posts

2023 GTS standard wheel. Long fingers, otherwise medium large hand and I find the wheel just right.

The following users liked this post:
NickS (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 01:13 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
2023 GTS standard wheel. Long fingers, otherwise medium large hand and I find the wheel just right.
Any comments on the thickness of the wheel? Ever compared the standard wheel to the sport wheel? Sucks that my wife's Q5 2.0 has a thicker/sportier wheel than the standard GTS wheel.... lol
Old 08-04-2023, 03:46 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Any comments on the thickness of the wheel? Ever compared the standard wheel to the sport wheel? Sucks that my wife's Q5 2.0 has a thicker/sportier wheel than the standard GTS wheel.... lol
I have the sport wheel in my 992. I like the standard wheel in the Macan better. It’s Goldilocks to me, not too thin, not too thick. If you’re concerned perhaps you can test the different versions. From my track experience, I find at some point thicker wheels have less dexterity. Like a thick putter grip, it lessens small muscle involvement. Or in skiing it’s like having long radius skis. That’s my take anyways.

Last edited by Russian Mafia; 08-04-2023 at 03:48 PM.
NickS (08-04-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 08:59 AM
shoelessjmw
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My wifes 992 is in Chalk and it is the easiest color to keep clean. It doesn't show dust and swirl marks, great color.
NickS (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 09:47 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 671 Posts

I compared both and ended up choosing the standard wheel with heat. it does have thumb rests. The wheels are the same internally the GT wheel just has more padding on the upper portion. At my height the GT wheel obscured the left and right gauges when my seat was in driving position. One caveat for me is, as a racecar driver, I hold the wheel at 9 and 3, so thickness at 10 and 2 doesn't matter to me, and the thickness seemed about the same at 9/3 between the two wheels. Most drivers hold at 10/2 so if you like the big/thick feel then you need the GT wheel, just know if you are of a certain build it may obscure the gauge view (I am 5'8" with shorter legs). See if you can find a Macan with the wheel that you can sit in (doesn't need to be a GTS, our dealer had a base Macan w/ the GT wheel we were able to try).

Last edited by Nickshu; 08-05-2023 at 09:50 AM.
NickS (08-05-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 10:02 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I compared both and ended up choosing the standard wheel with heat. it does have thumb rests. The wheels are the same internally the GT wheel just has more padding on the upper portion. At my height the GT wheel obscured the left and right gauges when my seat was in driving position. One caveat for me is, as a racecar driver, I hold the wheel at 9 and 3, so thickness at 10 and 2 doesn't matter to me, and the thickness seemed about the same at 9/3 between the two wheels. Most drivers hold at 10/2 so if you like the big/thick feel then you need the GT wheel, just know if you are of a certain build it may obscure the gauge view (I am 5'8" with shorter legs). See if you can find a Macan with the wheel that you can sit in (doesn't need to be a GTS, our dealer had a base Macan w/ the GT wheel we were able to try).
After all the Google searches I've done and posts I've read in all the different forums I think that people are saying the "GT steering wheel is thicker" because of the added padding at the thumb rests. I did find a post where someone measured the 2 wheels at the 12, 8 and 5 O'Clock positions and the standard wheel was just every-so-slightly larger in diameter.

I too hold the wheel at 9 and 3 and the short time I had my 2023 Macan T with the sport wheel I wasn't a fan of the thumb rest padding OR the way the deviated stitching was rough and abrasive to the skin lower down where the wheel rests along the length of the thumbs.

I am going to stick with the standard heated wheel.
Old 08-05-2023, 12:05 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 671 Posts

After all the Google searches I've done and posts I've read in all the different forums I think that people are saying the "GT steering wheel is thicker" because of the added padding at the thumb rests. I did find a post where someone measured the 2 wheels at the 12, 8 and 5 O'Clock positions and the standard wheel was just every-so-slightly larger in diameter.

I too hold the wheel at 9 and 3 and the short time I had my 2023 Macan T with the sport wheel I wasn't a fan of the thumb rest padding OR the way the deviated stitching was rough and abrasive to the skin lower down where the wheel rests along the length of the thumbs.

I think you and I are similar and I agree 100%.
NickS (08-07-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 02:16 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Funny I just measured my GT Sport wheel in my 992 and standard in my Macan and the diameter is about the same. The difference is mostly the thumb rests. My perception has been that the GT is thicker, perhaps because of the way I turn the wheel. It feels thicker as I turn it, perhaps because of the thumb pads.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:00 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

I went to the dealer yesterday to look at a new GTS that had the interior options on mine. 18 way seats are KILLER and the standard/default wheel is definitely the way to go for me. The hand position at 9 and 3 is better for me than the sport wheel and the standard wheel doesn't block any of the gauges. So glad I took the time to go look (and feel) the options I chose. My build freeze is this Friday so I'm comfortable with everything now.
Russian Mafia (08-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Can't make my mind up on my build!