Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Coolant level

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2023 | 05:43 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Default Coolant level

My 2022 GTS has the coolant tank near the firewall under a vanity panel. How the freak do you check coolant levels? Remove that panel somehow? User manual implies you check levels by marks on the side of the reservior, but you cannot see this without removal of that panel. I tried looking down from the top with a mirror and the cap off, but could not tell where the upper level marking was. Earlier MY Macans had that reservior front and center just right of the motor and levels where easy to see.
Old 07-29-2023 | 11:09 PM
turbo power
Advanced

Yes same as the S…. Poor design in the 2.9L engine …there in no simple way to check coolant… will ask dealer….
Old 07-30-2023 | 12:19 PM
ram_g
Instructor

On my 23 Macan S the coolant level is visible through the plastic grille area just to the passenger side of the firewall located coolant bottle. Not ideal but possible to get a quick check. Does your 22 GTS not have this grille?

The following users liked this post:
Blu311 (07-31-2023)
Old 07-30-2023 | 12:34 PM
turbo power
Advanced

Excellent! Thanks for posting pic - that helps.
Old 07-30-2023 | 05:15 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ram_g
On my 23 Macan S the coolant level is visible through the plastic grille area just to the passenger side of the firewall located coolant bottle. Not ideal but possible to get a quick check. Does your 22 GTS not have this grille?

Thanks for posting pics. Yes, mine has this grill and I can barely make out the coolant tank as you show. Does that plastic cover panel come off easily?
Old 07-30-2023 | 05:53 PM
ram_g
Instructor

Originally Posted by DHL
Does that plastic cover panel come off easily?
I would presume it does (at least basis my experience with other Porsches) but I didn’t investigate further once I saw how easy it was to check the level. The key is a powerful flashlight. Removing the filler cap and shining the light down into the bottle makes it even easier - see this pic. Note that it was difficult to get the focus right with my iPhone and the min/max markings were way clearer to the eye. I highly doubt that removing the cover panel would be worth the hassle just to check the fluid level.

The following users liked this post:
DHL (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023 | 06:34 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

I would presume it does (at least basis my experience with other Porsches) but I didn’t investigate further once I saw how easy it was to check the level. The key is a powerful flashlight. Removing the filler cap and shining the light down into the bottle makes it even easier - see this pic. Note that it was difficult to get the focus right with my iPhone and the min/max markings were way clearer to the eye. I highly doubt that removing the cover panel would be worth the hassle just to check the fluid level.

Flashlight is a GENIUS idea. Makes things easily more visible. Removing the cover may be a hassle but it may also make the brake fluid levels easier to see as well.
Old 07-30-2023 | 06:47 PM
ram_g
Instructor

Originally Posted by DHL
Removing the cover may be a hassle but it may also make the brake fluid levels easier to see as well.
I didn’t take a pic but I did note that there is a little triangular cut out near the brake fluid reservoir that appears to be a viewing window for exactly the same purpose.
Old 07-30-2023 | 06:59 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Found a YTube video from Pelican Parts that shows removal of that vanity panel. There are 4 hidden clips that must be accessed to remove it and they can be damaged easily if you just yank up.

See
Old 07-30-2023 | 08:03 PM
ram_g
Instructor

Originally Posted by DHL
Found a YTube video from Pelican Parts that shows removal of that vanity panel. There are 4 hidden clips that must be accessed to remove it and they can be damaged easily if you just yank up.
Nice find, thanks! Note the comment in the video that their dealer-serviced Macan still had a crack in the panel - good reminder that DIY is often the best for the simple jobs!
Old 07-30-2023 | 08:16 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Nice find, thanks! Note the comment in the video that their dealer-serviced Macan still had a crack in the panel - good reminder that DIY is often the best for the simple jobs!
Easy to damage as most dealers (they should know better) think Porsche plastic panels just "pop up" for removal. Those clips are a bear to get to and unseat properly, as they are hidden by the rubber strip in front of them and the center ones are very hard to reach in the engine bay.
Old 07-31-2023 | 12:44 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

I was about to suggest this^^. Works great.

Quick Reply: Coolant level