Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan PDK annoyance compared to other 911/917 PDK

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2023, 01:36 PM
ByByBMW
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't compare my 2023 Base Macan to the others but I did have a 2013 Boxster S with PDK and my Macans PDK is just as smooth and fast as the Boxster was.
Old 07-26-2023, 07:01 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I just bought a Macan 2022 (new) GTS. Coming from a 2017 911 (991.2) Carrera S. My immediate impression on the GTS test drive was "WOW, damn close to the 911". Upon further driving I note that the Macan does not shift quite as aggressively as the 911. For example, on my back woods test road braking into corners, the Macan down shifts maybe two gears and the 911 three. The 911 does seem to be a tad bit quicker, but that may also be due to the 911 going up the rev range faster. In any case I was so impressed with the Macan I sold the 911 (sorry to see it go but could not justify the costs of owning both). Manual shifting with the paddles I think the 911 is quicker, particularly on downshifts. But from a practical level, the Macan GTS is plenty fast enough.
Old 07-28-2023, 02:31 PM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
I just bought a Macan 2022 (new) GTS. Coming from a 2017 911 (991.2) Carrera S. My immediate impression on the GTS test drive was "WOW, damn close to the 911". Upon further driving I note that the Macan does not shift quite as aggressively as the 911. For example, on my back woods test road braking into corners, the Macan down shifts maybe two gears and the 911 three. The 911 does seem to be a tad bit quicker, but that may also be due to the 911 going up the rev range faster. In any case I was so impressed with the Macan I sold the 911 (sorry to see it go but could not justify the costs of owning both). Manual shifting with the paddles I think the 911 is quicker, particularly on downshifts. But from a practical level, the Macan GTS is plenty fast enough.
Keep in mind, engine and transmission tuning will be different for a 911 vs. a Macan... it also depends somewhat on how aggressively you're driving... especially on downshifts under braking. Brake harder, those downshifts will happen faster.

My only 911 experience was years ago, but last night some joker pulled out in front of me to go 5mph under the speed limit on a 2-lane country road. I was cruising in normal mode at about 45mph in 5th gear, prior to that. As soon as it was safe to pass, I turned the dial to Sport+ and the Macan went into 2nd gear (rpm jumped from 1800 - almost 5000) . I hit the manual button on the steering wheel and passed 80mph in 3rd gear before the nose of my Macan cleared the nose of the offending vehicle. The shift from 2nd to 3rd in manual mode was instantaneous, with a confident "clunk" that could be felt in the driver's seat.

I'm sure the 911 PDK would have felt more aggressive still, in that situation, and the result would have been several mph faster as I nosed ahead, but I was very happy with the way the Macan responded.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:18 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by NickS
I will try my best to ask and explain but I may not do a good job of it... so excuse my horribly written post. lol

My 718's (have had numerous models) and 911 PDK paddles "actuated" damn near telepathically but my 2018 Macan GTS always had a lag between the time you pulled a PDK lever to the time the transmission actually shifted. I've heard people say the bus speed is slower in the Macan and/or the PDK (TCU) in the Macans is not really PDK in the same sense as the Porsche "cars". It always annoyed me in my Macan GTS and I got tired of asking tuners to make a PDK tune for our cars. I just dealt with it.

Fast Forward to 2023..... my 2018 Macan GTS was totaled and I ended up with a 2023 Macan T (long story... needless to say I don't own it anymore and have ordered a 2024 Macan GTS). The Macan T PDK paddles actuated JUST LIKE those in the Porsche cars. Instant shifting, no lag, would do what I wanted, exactly when I wanted it. LOVE-LOVED-LOVED it!!!

So... my question to those with the newer GTS's.... is the actuation of the PDK paddles instant or is there a lag like I described above? Maybe someone with an older GTS like I had that now has a newer one can chime in? My question isn't about how quickly the transmission shifts....it's about how long it takes from the time you "actuate" a paddle to the time the transmission shifts.
Food for thought. How much does your 911 weigh? Same question regarding the Macan? Two points. First the weight issue. Simply put, the drivetrain in the 911 is unique. Always has been. Agree? The entire drivetrain is tuned for it just being a 911. Now the Macan. Different drivetrain. And I’m actually talking more about the PDK here as a piece of many items that comprise said Porsche 911 entire driveline. Now the big one… It’s a Sport Ute. A ‘woman’s car’ said here on this forum and others. It’s cool. Great drivetrain. AWD, quick and peppy. Who is Porsche marketing to? Who is their audience? Mom’s and Dad’s with kids. But not too many. A wanna be. They buy the logo and reputation of being a select few that own a Porsche or Mercedes or whoever. The drivetrain in our Macans is intentionally softened. Because Mary doesn’t want whiplash when she hits the accelerator too hard. Johnny can’t afford to wake up the sleeping kid in the backseat if the suspension is too hard. Not too big an SUV. Mobile. Gets good gas mileage. It’s a sporty small SUV. The tuning, or detuning is intentional.

On a personal note, I had a single experience with a Yellow 1975 911 in Donner Summit, April 20th in the middle of a heavy snow storm. My brand new 74 Fiat Spyder died that night and stranded me. Alternator fried. A young couple offered me a ride that night to a gas station.
Old 07-28-2023, 08:24 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by boyce89976
last night some joker pulled out in front of me to go 5mph under the speed limit on a 2-lane country road. I was cruising in normal mode at about 45mph in 5th gear, prior to that. As soon as it was safe to pass, I turned the dial to Sport+ and the Macan went into 2nd gear (rpm jumped from 1800 - almost 5000) . I hit the manual button on the steering wheel and passed 80mph in 3rd gear before the nose of my Macan cleared the nose of the offending vehicle. The shift from 2nd to 3rd in manual mode was instantaneous, with a confident "clunk" that could be felt in the driver's seat.
Why go to all that trouble? Just press the little button in the center of the dial. This activates the SPORT Response mode (AKA push to pass button). It turns all systems to the MAX and away you go!!

Last edited by DBH; 07-28-2023 at 08:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
boyce89976 (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 09:00 PM
boyce89976
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
Why go to all that trouble? Just press the little button in the center of the dial. This activates the SPORT Response mode (AKA push to pass button). It turns all systems to the MAX and away you go!!
I didn’t think of that until this morning. Would have been MUCH easier!
Old 07-29-2023, 05:30 AM
Jim Wilke
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a '20 911 C4S and a '22 Macan GTS, had 2 other Macans prior. I can't tell the difference in shifting action, all work almost instantly.

Last edited by Jim Wilke; 07-29-2023 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-29-2023, 04:09 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

With all that said, since the Macan has a different PDK than the 911/981, does it mean the chances of the catastrophic PDK failure are lower too? My biggest fear with my last 981 was the catastrophic failure of the PDK. I was out of warranty and if the PDK would have failed, it would have cost me +20K. With my 23 Macan S I will have around 8 years of warranty (factory and later MBI), so I am not that worried but would be still good to know how durable the Macan PDK is.

Quick Reply: Macan PDK annoyance compared to other 911/917 PDK