Macan 2014-Current

24 Macan T vs 24 Cayenne base

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 02:56 PM
ImolaRed
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 24 Macan T vs 24 Cayenne base

New member, lot of knowledge here so here is some background. Need your input I have a small collection of classic cars I enjoyed very much. Now I’m in the late sixties, I found myself driving less while the annual maintenances are expensive. I’m considering selling one or may be two while replacing them with a modern car. My daily is a robust 100 series Land Cruiser and my wife a Civic. On long trip I would take my e39 M5, the next modern car is a 996AE, a 911 SC, and a C2 corvette. I love silver so all same color except the BMW. I was going to replace the LC with the X5 but I couldn’t get pass the tech although I try to accept the curve dash. Just too much, at my age and my wife is worse on tech than me so seems not fair.
The Macan T fits the analog side of my brain. Beautiful GTS interior, not sure why dealers keep ordering leather interior on T? So very few choices with my desired options … no sunroof, AS, TV, CF trim. That pinstripe is gorgeous!
I never was interested in the Cayenne but there was a new 24 at the dealership. The base fits my needs and budget so comparing the two with little more than 10k difference, with 5k increase on 24 model the new Cayenne seems like a bargain with many standard feature.
I kept my cars a long time, the latest addition was the C2 over 10 years ago. It’s becoming a car art, beautiful American icon. I like the EA888 engine more the the Audi V6, but prefer the tip than the pdk.
both will fit our style but would the Macan be more reliable down the road or the Cayenne? I didn’t think it’ll be this hard to part with my cars and to decide which one to get. Appreciate your thoughts!
The following users liked this post:
chassis (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 06:19 PM
hilander444
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

"not sure why dealers keep ordering leather interior on T"

Two main reasons, it's part of the very popular premium package (which also includes cooled seats), and as beautiful as the T's pinstripe interior is. Unfortunately, it does not have lumbar support, so it may not be all that comfortable. You should drive both, the Cayenne is a larger SUV and the Macan feels more like a hot hatch.
Old 06-19-2023, 09:41 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

If reliability is your concern, I don't think you have much to worry about with either car. The bigger question is, do you want an SUV or do you want a small sporty car on stilts? The Macan is more nimble, has PDK, and it's a more fun car all around. Funny enough, my Macan Turbo reminds me a lot of my old E39 M5 but lifted and with AWD. That said, my Macan is very different from a T. The Cayenne is larger, no PDK, and more comfortable. Both great cars. It just depends on your preferences. Drive them both and decide.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 09:45 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,379 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Originally Posted by ImolaRed
New member, lot of knowledge here so here is some background. Need your input I have a small collection of classic cars I enjoyed very much. Now I’m in the late sixties, I found myself driving less while the annual maintenances are expensive. I’m considering selling one or may be two while replacing them with a modern car. My daily is a robust 100 series Land Cruiser and my wife a Civic. On long trip I would take my e39 M5, the next modern car is a 996AE, a 911 SC, and a C2 corvette. I love silver so all same color except the BMW. I was going to replace the LC with the X5 but I couldn’t get pass the tech although I try to accept the curve dash. Just too much, at my age and my wife is worse on tech than me so seems not fair.
The Macan T fits the analog side of my brain. Beautiful GTS interior, not sure why dealers keep ordering leather interior on T? So very few choices with my desired options … no sunroof, AS, TV, CF trim. That pinstripe is gorgeous!
I never was interested in the Cayenne but there was a new 24 at the dealership. The base fits my needs and budget so comparing the two with little more than 10k difference, with 5k increase on 24 model the new Cayenne seems like a bargain with many standard feature.
I kept my cars a long time, the latest addition was the C2 over 10 years ago. It’s becoming a car art, beautiful American icon. I like the EA888 engine more the the Audi V6, but prefer the tip than the pdk.
both will fit our style but would the Macan be more reliable down the road or the Cayenne? I didn’t think it’ll be this hard to part with my cars and to decide which one to get. Appreciate your thoughts!
Love the Cayenne. It's big and comfortable. If the 24 is optioned with full leather and air suspension, you will love it.
Old 06-20-2023, 12:46 PM
JChen
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Driven both the Macan Base and Cayenne Base but went with the Macan. I live in the city so a small car is fine with me and for short commutes. The Macan lacks practicality in terms of storage space since its a sloped roofline and usually can only get one golf bag in without folding down seats. If you're tall, get a Cayenne since the Macan will feel cramped. Love the new Cayenne but that price increase from the previous generation is quite a jump.

The Cayenne is a great practical car with great storage space and much more comfortable that would be a great family car. The Macan is a great daily driver if you do not have people to drive around or don't worry about storage space. It all comes down to what your needs are, good luck.

Old 06-20-2023, 12:51 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 453 Likes on 305 Posts

The Macan and Cayenne are two very different approaches to an SUV. Try taking both for a test drive to see which one best fits your needs. Then sit down and go to Porsche's configurator and "build" you perfect vehicle. Contact your dealer and order your dream car. The only drawback is the several months wait while Porsche builds your car.

BTW, my choice would be the Macan T.

Last edited by DBH; 06-20-2023 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-20-2023, 09:35 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

I have owned a '14 Cayenne Diesel and currently have a '18 Macan Sport Edition. We loved the Cayenne on long trips, truly amazing, fast, comfortable and great range. It was not fun around town and the Diesel hated short trips. The Macan is fun to drive, and we've yet to run out of room, but we don't travel with the kids any longer. Reliability on both vehicles was (are) great, but the Macon is exceptionally trouble free. Back seat is slightly small on the Macan, but isn't unreasonable. The Macan runs out of breath at really high speeds, but this is not an everyday issue, it is plenty fast. The Diesel was epic on the highway, stupid fast, it ate real estate.
I think if close in price, I would go for the new Cayenne. Just more of a perceived value issue.
Old 06-21-2023, 07:05 AM
rennlistfan
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bear in mind you are comparing a V6 to a 4 banger. The V6 is inherently smoother and more refined resulting in an overall more "upscale" feel to the car. The I4 idles rough and sounds harsh when pushed in comparison.

Quick Reply: 24 Macan T vs 24 Cayenne base