Macan 2014-Current

First porsche Macan T vs S

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 12:07 AM
Basics
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default First porsche Macan T vs S

I test drove both and didn’t feel much difference, may be due to a short test drive. I know on paper S looks better and I wanted to buy S but now I am questioning myself if I should just get a T instead as it will be better value for money.
Asking for help on this as I know many of you might have went through this point and may have drove both for a longer time. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:24 AM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts

Did you accelerate over 70-80mph? That's where the 2.0 dies out in terms of "fun" acceleration but is still capable. I don't go above those speeds so it works well for me and is fun with a few aftermarket add ons.

You also need to think of the resale, a 4 cyl will not hold value as well if bought new, but makes them a more attractive value when buying used.

​​​​​​
The following 4 users liked this post by BMinSFL:
Basics (05-31-2023), chassis (05-31-2023), justabout (05-31-2023), Wilder (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 08:57 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

My experience and 2 cents.... having owned an 2015 S, 2018 GTS and now 2023 T I can say that the T handles better than any of my previous Macan's but is indeed noticeably slower, especially on the frwy with things like overtaking and quickly getting up to speed. Where I live is almost all back roads with rarely an opportunity to run WOT in something with more horsepower. I had a 2015 E63S and yes, the power and torque was addicting and effortless but I rarely got to use it. The Macan T really is a great vehicle and for me it was the best choice. I like to think of it as the GTS with the 4 cylinder. I wish it had the GTS brakes BUT the stock brakes are fine. I drive my T in individual mode (Sport+ with PASM set to soft) as that is the best for throttle response and makes the car respond better, making it feel faster. I have no real complaints. When I do get on the freeway I typically hit the Sport Response (overboost) button and again I have no complaints about the performance. On paper I think the the S is 1 second faster than the T and I would guess those numbers come from using launch control. Where you would see/feel the difference is the mid range torque of the S vs the T having to work harder and rev higher. What I hope to see sooner rather than later is software for the T to get the HP/TQ up past the 300 mark. I think that would dramatically improve the cars performance and seat of the pants enjoyment.
The following 4 users liked this post by NickS:
Basics (05-31-2023), chassis (12-03-2023), isugoo (12-03-2023), Johny0299 (06-01-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 09:38 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

+1 on what @NickS said above. If you don't do a lot of hwy driving and don't need the power, go for the T.

I have a Macan Turbo PP with the same HP as the current GTS. I absolutely love it when I get on the hwy but 90% of the time I'm stuck in traffic and feels like a waste. Love the PP but in reality my personal needs would be fulfilled by a T. The Macan overall is very agile and hides it's weight very, very well. A T with no sunroof would be the lightest and therefore best handling Macan. If it's an option, don't skip PASM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wilder:
Basics (05-31-2023), chassis (12-03-2023), gellenole (06-03-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 11:58 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 152 Posts

My only thing is the old 4 vs 6 cylinder "issue", that is the main reason I would go S, otherwise the T is a great car and also looks better than the base S. BTW, for 2023 model, Porsche has PASM (not air suspension), adaptive cruise control and keyless entry standard for all their Macans.
The following 2 users liked this post by john981:
Basics (05-31-2023), chassis (12-03-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 02:52 PM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Had a loaner 4 cylinder turbo a few times now and while its good, it doesnt offer the punch of the S. Dont get me wrong, the 2.0T is good and for a lot of people who drive in and around cities, its probably perfectly fine. I had the opportunity to drive over the Sierra's in a 2018 a few years ago and while it lacked the outright speed, it was great in the corners and does feel lighter than the S (though its not by a massive amount). The T model with the chassis bits is probably a lot of fun!

The S might seem a little dull in normal mode, but drop into Sport and let the turbo wind up and you can see and feel the difference. Its a lot quicker and when you get deep into the revs its surprisingly enjoyable. Since someone else mentioned it, I came from a C63S AMG before the Macan. Yes, the AMG is fast and an event, but it is also very unruly too. It is exaggerating a little, but I still think that the Macan S is just as fast across normal roads vs the AMG. More traction, better feel and good performance. The Macan isnt as much fun, but its not far off with a lot more practicality and comfort - especially the comfort. The ride on the C63S was terrible - just goes to show that a slower car with better suspension control and feel can be a better drive!
The following 2 users liked this post by offagain:
Basics (05-31-2023), chassis (12-03-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 02:56 PM
jobunaga
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

I drive a Macan S, but get a 4-cylinder loaner whenever I take it in for service. In some respects, the 4-cylinder engine is more fun because you can let it out more often. In the S, there's only so much acceleration that can happen before I'm breaking the law. On a daily commute, I don't notice the difference in power.
The following 3 users liked this post by jobunaga:
Basics (05-31-2023), chassis (12-03-2023), hilander444 (06-04-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 07:05 AM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My only comment, after owning many Porsches and just having a Macan GTS built - "value for the money" should probably not be used as a main deciding point.

"value" is very different in cars like these when the price rises quickly to add basic features. Get the one that is most exciting to drive, and can afford, but assume it will depreciate a lot when you sell so just enjoy. Or buy a Honda
The following users liked this post:
Russian Mafia (06-01-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 08:28 PM
gellenole
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Remember this -> it's more fun to drive a slower car fast, than a faster car slow.
Keep that in mind when you buy a car, but above all use -- it has to be enjoyable.
If you're stuck with lag and unable to use the power -- it's worthless during your time with it, no matter what the resale value is.
The following 2 users liked this post by gellenole:
Basics (06-04-2023), Mspeedster (06-04-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 10:09 PM
JChen
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are just driving commutes or city driving, the Macan T is more than enough. The base/T trim handles as great as the S trim other than the power. Once you put the base/T trim in sport mode, you'll still get that thrill.
The following users liked this post:
Basics (06-06-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 01:04 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 189 Posts

I'm close to pulling trigger on T to replace my Mini Cooper S as a daily duty and power is noticeably slower than S but I did test drive sport+ and PASM soft like @NickS said and it was acceptable. And I'm sure I'll need to use boost button to overtake in CA highway which I never use on my 991.2 GTS.
For the price, T looked so good and has a lot of similar options that I find it in 911 but what are the exact changes other than cosmetic?
Did I miss anything from below:
1. GT Steering Wheel
2. 8 way sport seat with stripes (great to see they added memory function on the base 8 way seat in 2024)
3. Sport Chrono
4. PASM
5. More rear biased driving setup
Q.Some say stiff rear sway but I'm not sure if it's only for air suspensions or not. And any re-mapping on throttle to be more fun?

My biggest fear is not having the effortless power and get bored quickly (hope S+ and PASM soft fixes the issue). My wife drives 330E (0-60: 5.5-5.6 sec) and she even complained on loaner base model not having any pick up in street driving. Hope to hear more T owners real life feedback (the straight pipes and smoking tires praise the T which is comforting but some reputable reviewers recommend base S for lacking power on T even though drives amazingly).
Old 12-03-2023, 01:13 PM
JChen
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by isugoo
I'm close to pulling trigger on T to replace my Mini Cooper S as a daily duty and power is noticeably slower than S but I did test drive sport+ and PASM soft like @NickS said and it was acceptable. And I'm sure I'll need to use boost button to overtake in CA highway which I never use on my 991.2 GTS.
For the price, T looked so good and has a lot of similar options that I find it in 911 but what are the exact changes other than cosmetic?
Did I miss anything from below:
1. GT Steering Wheel
2. 8 way sport seat with stripes (great to see they added memory function on the base 8 way seat in 2024)
3. Sport Chrono
4. PASM
5. More rear biased driving setup
Q.Some say stiff rear sway but I'm not sure if it's only for air suspensions or not. And any re-mapping on throttle to be more fun?

My biggest fear is not having the effortless power and get bored quickly (hope S+ and PASM soft fixes the issue). My wife drives 330E (0-60: 5.5-5.6 sec) and she even complained on loaner base model not having any pick up in street driving. Hope to hear more T owners real life feedback (the straight pipes and smoking tires praise the T which is comforting but some reputable reviewers recommend base S for lacking power on T even though drives amazingly).
Macan T is better value than if you were to option a base model individually. Mostly just cosmetic features but handling is amazing - especially once you put it in sport mode. I found daily driving to be fine, at least here in PA, and usually put on sport mode to overtake on highways with no problem. Driven the S before and yes, there is a massive gap in power but I personally don't need it for daily use. 0-60 on Macan Base/T still pretty impressive for an SUV.
Old 12-03-2023, 02:37 PM
hilander444
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The T is the better deal if most of your driving is on city streets. If you do a lot of driving on the highway, I would consider the V6. Best advice is to drive both in the setting where you will do your actual driving.
Old 12-03-2023, 05:04 PM
BMinSFL
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by isugoo
Try it out and you can always add a JB4 piggyback tuner very easily. Its a great luxury SUV stock but it needs some extra power to better fit the performance heritage of the nameplate. Just remove it before any dealer visits and you will be ok. It removes any shortcomings with the base engine.

I measured the tuned 30-70mph acceleration about in line with the S models and it's plenty quick for a fun commuter. I recently reverted back to stock temporarily with a quick on-the-fly setting change from my phone and it's a massive difference after having it on for a year.

Sport+ is also a great option for the 2.0 engine since it lets you stay in the powerband more easily

Last edited by BMinSFL; 12-03-2023 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2023, 06:21 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by JChen
Macan T is better value than if you were to option a base model individually. Mostly just cosmetic features but handling is amazing - especially once you put it in sport mode. I found daily driving to be fine, at least here in PA, and usually put on sport mode to overtake on highways with no problem. Driven the S before and yes, there is a massive gap in power but I personally don't need it for daily use. 0-60 on Macan Base/T still pretty impressive for an SUV.
Yeah. I actually used Porsche builder to see how much it will cost if I add them individually and it was quote a lot of saving for sure. Planning to do S+ with PASM soft for daily use. Mostly city but CA highway, we drives 90 mph commonly here so pick up is needed and hoping S+ will do the job. Effortless V6 power is good but dont want to add all that and making $90k Macan S as daily drive to replace 2015 Mini Cooper S. currently 7% off on minimal optioned (But all good options) one that's incoming.

Quick Reply: First porsche Macan T vs S