Macan 2014-Current

How I added door puddle lights to my Macan S

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 12:48 PM
mikewire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How I added door puddle lights to my Macan S

Howdy all - so...I replaced the standard door reflector with a set of door puddle lights and thought I would share how I did it.

These are the lights installed on the bottom of the door, that shine down on the ground at night to help illuminate the ground area. My 2015 Macan S has every other package (even Sport Chrono) EXCEPT for the lighting comfort package (Light Comfort Package explained) that would include these lights, plus footwell lights, and other various small other interior lights, etc. that provide some "ambiance".

Anyway...I like the door puddle lights, have them on my other cars so I figured it was pretty easy to add. Don't really care too much about the rest of the lights, but I suppose after figuring out this process it could be easy enough to add.

On a difficulty scale of 1-10, I'd give this a 3/10. It wasn't hard but it did take a few very specific things, and PIWIS is required for changing the programming.

Note, if you don't have PIWIS, I'd rate this a 7/10...it is required to have this for the task.

I will give the typical disclaimer...this is what I did - it's not a tutorial or a DIY but simply a guide on how I accomplished doing this activity.

Parts required:
  1. Door puddle lights - I went with a non-OEM custom version: https://www.addcarlights.com/product...go-door-lights (I chose Style B but any style will work)
  2. OEM harness/wiring and connectors - Find these on eBay: DOOR LIGHT CABLE HARNESS PLUG FITS VW GOLF JETTA PASSAT | link: DOOR LIGHT CABLE HARNESS PLUG FITS VW GOLF JETTA PASSAT SHARAN NEW LOT OF 2 NEW 33991004986 | eBay
  3. PIWIS
  4. Tesa tape - https://a.co/d/0Ox9x6q
  5. 16-18 gauge wiring (red & black or brown)

Note: this is a package of two lights, only one is showing here.

First I removed the door panel and set is aside where it was possible to work on it in an upright position

I found the connector for the main door harness, it's the blue connector here in this picture:

I removed the shell of the connector by first cutting the zip tie, then finding the tab on the end of the connector and and bent it outward slightly, and the white connector slides out of the blue shell.

From there, I found the numbers on the connector - #16 is the pin for the door puddle lights. I added the red wired and connector with the red wire into the connector until it clicked and locked into place.

Then I tied the ground wire for the light harness into main ground for the the door harness. I simply cut the ground and used a butt connector to add in the ground wire for the light harness, then used some heat shrink to make it weatherproof

Once both wires were in the connector, I reinstalled the blue shell and used a new zip tie to secure the wiring, plus I used some cloth Tesa harness tape to wrap and secure the new wiring harness along the existing harness, installing the wires into the now-used wiring clips along the inner armrest area, and then routed it down to the area where the light will be installed.

Oh, I also had to extend the wiring harness by adding 18 inches of wire to both the power and ground.

I wrapped the wires in Tesa tape, and then routed the wiring along the door and down to the location of the door puddle light, plugging in the connector and letting the light hang free.

I didn't get a picture of it, but it ended up being nice and clean/tidy install, similar to what the factory routing would have been.

Then I reinstalled the door padding into the panel, then reinstalled the door panel in the car.

Now it was time to change the programming so the Macan would apply power to the pins/wiring I just installed.

For that I fired up mt PIWIS (If you don't have it, find a friend or buy/procure your own) and made the change for each door.

Easy enough, I simply went into the module of the door I wanted to change - in this case it was the passengers door, selected coding/programming, and found the interior lighting option. Changing it from '9MA - INTERIOR LIGHTING BASIC' to '9MB - COMFORT + DIMMABLE INTERIOR LIGHTING' activated the lighting and the puddle light lit up

Final result:

Last edited by mikewire; 04-12-2023 at 12:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikewire:
clutchplate (08-06-2023), JohnnyC8 (04-13-2023)
Old 04-30-2023, 12:48 PM
Spectro28
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I already have down-pointing lights at the bottom of the door, is this a simple swap of the light?

Thanks!
Marc
2018 Macan GTS
Old 04-30-2023, 09:14 PM
mikewire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spectro28
If I already have down-pointing lights at the bottom of the door, is this a simple swap of the light?

Thanks!
Marc
2018 Macan GTS
Yep!
Old 04-30-2023, 09:26 PM
Spectro28
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Well, that sounds like the swap is a 1/10 difficulty, then…

Originally Posted by mikewire
Yep!
Thanks!
Old 08-04-2023, 08:33 PM
elveez
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly what I was looking for! I might try to do this.

One thing I am not clear about is the part when you plug in the ground wire. I just know enough to be dangerous - which one is the ground wire here, the red one?

'Then I tied the ground wire for the light harness into main ground for the the door harness. I simply cut the ground and used a butt connector to add in the ground wire for the light harness, then used some heat shrink to make it weatherproof'

Awesome job man!
Old 08-06-2023, 11:49 AM
mikewire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elveez
Exactly what I was looking for! I might try to do this.

One thing I am not clear about is the part when you plug in the ground wire. I just know enough to be dangerous - which one is the ground wire here, the red one?

'Then I tied the ground wire for the light harness into main ground for the the door harness. I simply cut the ground and used a butt connector to add in the ground wire for the light harness, then used some heat shrink to make it weatherproof'

Awesome job man!
Ground is BROWN.
Old 08-06-2023, 12:49 PM
elveez
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mikewire
Ground is BROWN.
Thanks so much!
Old 08-16-2023, 02:49 PM
elveez
3rd Gear

OK, this is probably a stupid question - but can I change this PIWIS setting on any Macan? I have Macan S 2015.

Had my oil change yesterday and the shop I am using have PIWIS.

Asked the guy to change the setting for me but HE SAID HE COULD NOT FIND THE SETTING?!

It is quite possible they don't know what they are talking about, they are a pretty small shop and I am using them only for oil changes and brake changes and small things like that.

Thoughts? Thank you all.
Old 05-28-2024, 03:57 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

As Spectro28 said, I too already have down lights on my 4 doors And mikewire said then it's just plug and play.
Oh happy day, because no way am I doing that procedure that mikewire did. I'm allergic to electrical circuitry. More power to you Mike.
I don't know why my Macan S had downlights and not just reflectors, because my vehicle does not have the puddle light option. Maybe the 2023's have them?
Anyway, here's hoping it truly is just a simple replacement. We shall see.
Also, what is the best light I can get, that won't fade, etc.? Thanks.
Old 05-30-2024, 03:40 AM
Penstamin
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueJay73
As Spectro28 said, I too already have down lights on my 4 doors And mikewire said then it's just plug and play.
Oh happy day, because no way am I doing that procedure that mikewire did. I'm allergic to electrical circuitry. More power to you Mike.
I don't know why my Macan S had downlights and not just reflectors, because my vehicle does not have the puddle light option. Maybe the 2023's have them?
Anyway, here's hoping it truly is just a simple replacement. We shall see.
Also, what is the best light I can get, that won't fade, etc.? Thanks.
I've had good luck with the lights from https://www.addcarlights.com/product...o-door-lights/ these are the same lights used by the OP. I had one break after a couple of months and they replaced it quickly at no cost to me. If you already have door lights it should take you no longer than 5 mins per door even if you work very slowly, like me.

Quick Reply: How I added door puddle lights to my Macan S