Macan 2014-Current

PSCB costs

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 10:10 AM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts
Default PSCB costs

As I rack up the miles on my GTS I started to research costs for PSCB rotors and pads... $4300 for the front rotors on pelican (slightly less on suncoast)!! Really quite a jaw dropper

So a few questions-

-Benefit of PSCB is reduced brake dust correct? Is durability the same as steel?

- what is the equivalent steel rotor sizes and can they be swapped?

I've mentioned before that aside from the ridiculously small gas tank, this is a fantastic daily driver but the cost of this wearable item is outrageous
Old 03-10-2023, 11:02 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 671 Posts

Reportedly the durability is much better than standard steel brakes. I have read expected lifespan of PSCB pads and rotors is 90-100K miles with normal use. Of course that could vary depending on how you use the vehicle.
Some have reported they are more grabby, some have reported they are less grabby (who knows). Personally on our 2022 GTS I find them pretty grabby at low speeds, maybe a little more than desireable but you can adapt your braking style.

Brake dust is TERRIBLE w/ the stock steel brakes across all Porsches. That can be mitigated about 80% by changing to aftermarket ceramic pads like Hawk or similar. So that's an alternative that would address brake dust but not have the replacement costs when the time comes (more frequently, but if you are racking up big miles then maybe the way to go). Some worry-wort types would not be able to get over worrying about "voiding the warranty" with aftermarket pads. I am not in that camp of people so I am unable to comment on that.

Last edited by Nickshu; 03-10-2023 at 11:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chong0 (03-10-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 10:46 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Originally Posted by chong0
As I rack up the miles on my GTS I started to research costs for PSCB rotors and pads... $4300 for the front rotors on pelican (slightly less on suncoast)!! Really quite a jaw dropper

So a few questions-

-Benefit of PSCB is reduced brake dust correct? Is durability the same as steel?

- what is the equivalent steel rotor sizes and can they be swapped?

I've mentioned before that aside from the ridiculously small gas tank, this is a fantastic daily driver but the cost of this wearable item is outrageous
And if you do swap them for steel rotors, can the original calipers still be used? If so, with what brake pads? Anyone have the facts on this?

Old 11-05-2023, 01:24 AM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 480 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Personally on our 2022 GTS I find them pretty grabby at low speeds
(Not so) pro tip: keep them clean, either by washing or dragging them slightly as you drive every so often. That helps immensely with the grabby behavior in mine.
Old 11-05-2023, 01:31 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 665 Posts

Our experience with our 2021 Macan GTS with PSCB is that they were VERY grabby the first 10K miles. They’ve improved somewhat since then (now around 23k miles) but still grabbier than steel or PCCB. But they also release essentially zero brake dust. In that way they are quite similar to PCCB. Love the zero dust but the grabby nature takes quite a bit of getting-used-to. We both adapted our braking style but even so, it can be difficult to be smooth with these brakes, especially at low speeds. But the zero dust makes up for it.

FLACHT6_pilot (11-09-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 01:56 AM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 480 Likes on 281 Posts

Keep 'em clean. Seriously. I was this close to paying to have them removed from the car before I realized how important that was.
Old 11-06-2023, 01:18 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 115 Posts

Besides the lower brake dust, I appreciate the fact they do not show rust after being wetted. Cosmetically, I like this better than a little brake dust, esp with open wheel spoke designs like my HREs. Nothing worse than the view of brown rusty rotors. I only have about 1000 mi on my GTS, and agree the brakes feel aggressive at low speeds. But they also feel really strong and pull down hard from high speeds. I have not been able to compare the performance of these vs standard steel rotors in another Macan, but compared to "upgraded" brakes" in a 2023 BMW X3 M40i I just traded, there is no comparison. These PSCB tungsten carbide coated are far superior.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:53 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Regarding the performance differential with the PSCB's - an additional factor is the size of the calipers with those brakes. The amount of surface area being contacted by the pads in those calipers is significantly greater than the standard Macan brakes.

That may account also for the "grabbiness" of them relative to what one might normally expect.
Terry Adams (11-06-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Pukicabuki
5th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Would I be correct in assuming these would work on the earlier Turbos as well?
Old 11-08-2023, 11:42 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Regarding the performance differential with the PSCB's - an additional factor is the size of the calipers with those brakes. The amount of surface area being contacted by the pads in those calipers is significantly greater than the standard Macan brakes.

That may account also for the "grabbiness" of them relative to what one might normally expect.
The PCCB brakes on my 718 GT4 are quite a bit bigger than the PSCB on the Macan. We also had an RS with PCCB, and we’ve had Brembo CCB on other cars. We have NEVER experienced the “grabby” behavior until the PSCB. After our initial feelings about it (disappointed) we discussed with our service manager who had heard from others that they were grabby. Some people said they improve with more miles.

If the grabby aspect was due to size of calipers to rotors, then PCCB should be even grabbier. I assume it it related to the compound of the coating, and the combination of that coating plus the pad. But I’m not a material scientist so it’s a guess.

In any case, for me….the lack of dust is worth the “grabby” nature. And I feel they’ve definitely improved with miles and maybe I’ve gotten better at adapting my driving style. My husband HATES the PSCB and on mutliple occasions has suggested he’d gladly pay to swap them to steel brakes. But that would not make sense and we’ll just keep driving it as-is. But we probably wouldn’t spec them again (or at least my husband would not). I might be willing to tolerate it on another car if PCCB isn’t available, especially since I now understand how to adapt to it.
Old 11-09-2023, 10:53 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
The PCCB brakes on my 718 GT4 are quite a bit bigger than the PSCB on the Macan. We also had an RS with PCCB, and we’ve had Brembo CCB on other cars. We have NEVER experienced the “grabby” behavior until the PSCB. After our initial feelings about it (disappointed) we discussed with our service manager who had heard from others that they were grabby. Some people said they improve with more miles.

If the grabby aspect was due to size of calipers to rotors, then PCCB should be even grabbier. I assume it it related to the compound of the coating, and the combination of that coating plus the pad. But I’m not a material scientist so it’s a guess.

In any case, for me….the lack of dust is worth the “grabby” nature. And I feel they’ve definitely improved with miles and maybe I’ve gotten better at adapting my driving style. My husband HATES the PSCB and on mutliple occasions has suggested he’d gladly pay to swap them to steel brakes. But that would not make sense and we’ll just keep driving it as-is. But we probably wouldn’t spec them again (or at least my husband would not). I might be willing to tolerate it on another car if PCCB isn’t available, especially since I now understand how to adapt to it.
I suspect that you may be right. The combination of factors - pad material, rotor material finish and finish texture, and larger swept area.

Historically with the Germans, form has followed function - but I think the Porsche marketers made the final decision on these - "Let's go with the shiny ones..."

needmoregarage (11-10-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 12:24 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I took delivery of my 2024 GTS over the weekend and I can tell you that mine are not grabby at all. In fact I feel like the pads don't bite enough and I have to put more pressure on the brake pedal than my previous GTS.
Larry Cable (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 03:28 PM
rob944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by NickS
I took delivery of my 2024 GTS over the weekend and I can tell you that mine are not grabby at all. In fact I feel like the pads don't bite enough and I have to put more pressure on the brake pedal than my previous GTS.
This is normal, it gets better. You need to give the brakes a few hundred miles to break in and allow the pads to fully seat with the rotors.
The following 3 users liked this post by rob944s2:
Larry Cable (11-13-2023), needmoregarage (11-13-2023), NickS (11-13-2023)
Old 11-13-2023, 03:38 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by rob944s2
This is normal, it gets better. You need to give the brakes a few hundred miles to break in and allow the pads to fully seat with the rotors.
Hoped that might be the case... thanks!

Quick Reply: PSCB costs