Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Air Suspension vs coil

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 12:17 AM
s85b50
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I never use sport plus unless some idiot is trying to start something. I would say it's more of a smoke-an-idiot mode for me..
Old 10-14-2022, 03:44 PM
a.doba
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coils would be more reliable long term but air suspension is definitely a lot smoother and better ride overall.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:19 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts

IMO, the air suspension gives you a more ‘pillowy’ ride. It glides. Notice when you go over a bump and the rear will buck multiple times? I’ve owned vehicles that give you the feeling it wants to toss you over the steering wheel. With AS most of that is gone. It ‘adapts’ faster than springs and shocks. Others here have stated they prefer that setup and a better road feel. You’re gonna have to drive both and then decide. You’re gonna drive it. We aren’t. I own an ‘18 Turbo since new. Getting ready to turn 60k. No issues with my AS.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:28 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
My 2018 Turbo had its first "adventure" this week. The Air Suspension acted up when placed in its lowest position. It made a grinding noise and "hunted" for a position to settle into, and a yellow waning light/message popped up on the dashboard.

I drove it immediately to my dealer and was told it was safe to drive after the "yellow" warning message disappeared after restarting the car and putting it in the normal (middle) ride hight setting. We made an appointment to bring the car in for service (first available 6 days later). The car behaved normally for the duration and in it went. The dealer had it for a day, found no mechanical issues, but did what was called a "realignment process" that took several hours.

I have since driven it in the normal and lowered setting and it seems fine. Fortunately, when I purchased the car with 11k miles it came with a CPO extension on the warranty, so I m covered for another year.
Actually it was not a "realignment" but a "recalibration".

Quick Reply: Air Suspension vs coil