Macan 2014-Current

Air Suspension vs coil

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 03:08 AM
nrob
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Suspension vs coil

I'm looking at used Macans, is the air suspension better than the coil springs? Thanks.
Old 09-17-2022, 05:20 AM
mikegally
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi,
it depends if you think you will ever need air suspension.

I have a Cayenne with air suspension but in 2+ years ive never adjusted the ride height once.
Recently bought a Macan and was definitely looking for one without air suspension.
My rational was that it is a super expensive fix if it goes wrong or needs servicing compared to regular suspension. Plus it adds unnecessary weight and it must affect handling.

Last edited by mikegally; 09-18-2022 at 01:40 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-17-2022, 10:44 AM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by nrob
I'm looking at used Macans, is the air suspension better than the coil springs? Thanks.
The standard coil spring suspension is very comfortable and see no reason to upgrade to the air suspension. The only advantage I see for the air suspension is that it allows you to lower the ride height and makes the car look better, but definitely not worth paying whatever it cost just for that 1 feature.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:28 AM
jhbs
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had air suspension in both Macan S vehicles I have owned (2017 and now 2022) so don’t have a personal point of comparison on the Macan S. However, having owned many vehicles with and withou air suspension, I have, with one exception (2020 Mercedes GLC AMG43 which, while it had a form of air suspension, had a harsh ride) found air suspension to improve the quality of ride on rough surfaces and handling in curves. Before both Macan purchases, I watched many Macan S online reviews and the professional reviewers consistently praised the ride and control from air suspension. With my new 2022 Macan S, I am amazed at how comfortable the ride is over road surface imperfections and the control in cornering. there are many expensive components on the vehicle, including the air suspension, so, I plan on buying an extended warranty if I keep the car past 4 years.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:50 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 332 Posts

The air suspension is worth it...ride quality is better and the lowered position makes it look WAY better.
Old 09-17-2022, 01:36 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 932 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbs
I have had air suspension in both Macan S vehicles I have owned (2017 and now 2022) so don’t have a personal point of comparison on the Macan S. However, having owned many vehicles with and withou air suspension, I have, with one exception (2020 Mercedes GLC AMG43 which, while it had a form of air suspension, had a harsh ride) found air suspension to improve the quality of ride on rough surfaces and handling in curves. Before both Macan purchases, I watched many Macan S online reviews and the professional reviewers consistently praised the ride and control from air suspension. With my new 2022 Macan S, I am amazed at how comfortable the ride is over road surface imperfections and the control in cornering. there are many expensive components on the vehicle, including the air suspension, so, I plan on buying an extended warranty if I keep the car past 4 years.
Expensive to repair, but well worth it as even a short test drive will confirm. My prior experience: Parent's '59 Citröen ID19, then driving a friend's 2CV about 60 miles like a 19 year old would while in college in France, my own '70 MB 300SEL 6.3.

On the other side, I regularly get loaner Macans without air. There is no comparison.
Old 09-17-2022, 04:32 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

In terms of ride comfort, I think the air suspension gets a lot of credit that more properly is due to PASM. Get that for sure.

My short test drive confirmed that I couldn't really tell the difference between PASM+AS and PASM+steel, except possibly on speed bumps in parking lots.
Old 09-17-2022, 05:48 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegally
Hi,
it depends if you think you will ever need air suspension.

I have a Cayenne with air suspension but in 2+ years ive never used it once.
Recently bought a Macan and was definitely looking for one without air suspension.
My rational was that it is a super expensive fix if it goes wrong or needs servicing compared to regular suspension. Plus it adds unnecessary weight and it must affect handling.
Ummm, The air suspension is working all the time whether you know it or not.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheBen:
jjhasluck (10-07-2022), rasetsu (10-21-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 06:41 PM
Veki
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Air suspension, no doubt
Old 09-17-2022, 07:03 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

My '15 S had PASM and coils. My '18 Turbo has PASM and Air Springs. The Air Springs are marginally more supple, but the S was plenty supple.
Handling was about equal - unless driving in the lowered setting in the Turbo, where the lowered CG is noticeable. But frankly, it could be psychological as I have another toy for handling tasks.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:03 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 999 Likes on 667 Posts

Air suspension for sure. Way better ride across the board.
Old 09-18-2022, 01:16 AM
nrob
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all the inputs. It looks like the consensus is that air suspension is better, but can cost more to maintain. In looking at the 4 cyl models, it appears that the 2018 sport edition is the most prevalent with AS. I have not found many at all in 2019 or above with AS. Thanks, again to all inputs.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:21 PM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

@nrob also don't forget that some people associate "air suspension" with "air bag" systems which are for the aesthetics of lowering. Not quite the same.
Old 09-19-2022, 10:13 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 999 Likes on 667 Posts

Thank you for all the inputs. It looks like the consensus is that air suspension is better, but can cost more to maintain. In looking at the 4 cyl models, it appears that the 2018 sport edition is the most prevalent with AS. I have not found many at all in 2019 or above with AS. Thanks, again to all inputs.
I would make a separate post asking for people who have actually had problems w/ the air suspension. Given that on this board I see very few posts about air suspension problems other than older/high mileage cars I have a feeling it's pretty rare.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:23 PM
Serialcoderer
Track Day

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Expensive to repair, but well worth it as even a short test drive will confirm. My prior experience: Parent's '59 Citröen ID19, then driving a friend's 2CV about 60 miles like a 19 year old would while in college in France, my own '70 MB 300SEL 6.3.

On the other side, I regularly get loaner Macans without air. There is no comparison.
How much to repair? Have you personally paid to have it repaired or know of someone who has? I just purchased a 2017 Macan GTS over the weekend and was curious to know what is "expensive"

Quick Reply: Air Suspension vs coil