Notices
Macan 2014-Current

5 minute mod-Airconditioner Condenser Protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 12:57 PM
Grey Coupe
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

The mesh design and size of holes directly impacts this. The one I have chosen reduces it by less than 20%.
Old 04-20-2022, 01:22 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by subaru335i
I get you want to protect the intercoolers but this also reduces airflow somewhat significantly so it is a trade off.
This has been discussed in other Porsche model/variant forums. I studied Aerospace Engineering in college but practiced very little of it in real life and I'm willing to bet that these grills do not restrict airflow "significantly" to make a difference. I've had them on a highly modded 991.2 GTS and never had airflow cooling issues. The GT3 comes from the factory with bumper mesh and you don't see them overheating or see any performance degradation due to the mesh.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 04-20-2022 at 01:24 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by luv2sleep:
DSC48 (04-21-2022), Grey Coupe (04-20-2022), jbx2 (09-27-2022)
Old 08-21-2022, 03:09 PM
sam84
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I'm really interested in the front upper and lower bumper grill for the same car which include the front camera
Old 08-21-2022, 04:14 PM
sam84
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for all front kit for the same car

Hi, I'm looking for the whole front kit for the same car with that front sensor.
Thanks
Old 09-27-2022, 04:26 PM
subaru335i
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
This has been discussed in other Porsche model/variant forums. I studied Aerospace Engineering in college but practiced very little of it in real life and I'm willing to bet that these grills do not restrict airflow "significantly" to make a difference. I've had them on a highly modded 991.2 GTS and never had airflow cooling issues. The GT3 comes from the factory with bumper mesh and you don't see them overheating or see any performance degradation due to the mesh.
I'm an ME but I have a lot of practical real world experience with turbos and airflow and putting similar "turbo guard" mesh in front of the turbo inlet does in fact impact air flow "significantly".

I guess "significantly" is the wiggle word there because it is a fact that it disrupts airflow but I guess it is a small enough amount that you don't mind. Doesn't change the fact that you are reducing cooling airflow to the intercoolers.

The GT3 comes with mesh in the bumper but its not turbocharged and the radiator is designed and size appropriately with the mesh in front of it.

I was pointing out that is it disrupting airflow and especially people who have tuned or modified cars should think about that before doing this mod.
Old 09-27-2022, 04:48 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by subaru335i
I'm an ME but I have a lot of practical real world experience with turbos and airflow and putting similar "turbo guard" mesh in front of the turbo inlet does in fact impact air flow "significantly".

I guess "significantly" is the wiggle word there because it is a fact that it disrupts airflow but I guess it is a small enough amount that you don't mind. Doesn't change the fact that you are reducing cooling airflow to the intercoolers.

The GT3 comes with mesh in the bumper but its not turbocharged and the radiator is designed and size appropriately with the mesh in front of it.

I was pointing out that is it disrupting airflow and especially people who have tuned or modified cars should think about that before doing this mod.
Fair enough. I guess the best way to settle this debate would be to use data from a wind tunnel test.😆 I had a stage 2 tuned 991.2 GTS with these same grills and never had any cooling issues and I don’t even drive my Macan GTS half as hard as I drove the 911GTS.

Quick Reply: 5 minute mod-Airconditioner Condenser Protection