Macan 2014-Current

Random Oil Pressure spike at cruising speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 05:13 PM
JohnTSI
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Oil Pressure spike at cruising speed

Hi I'm driving a "22 Macan S, twin turbo V-6 with 4,000 +- miles on the clock. While cruising on interstate at 70-75 MPH, at 2000-2200 RPM, randomly without any throttle input, the oil pressure gauge will spike up from 20-22 PSI and climb up thru all the numbers up to 45 PSI within a few seconds ! Then back down again to 20-22 PSI. No change in RPM or speed while this is happening. Will stay at 20-22 PSI for a few minutes, and then randomly do the same all over again. Odd that I never noticed this on the gauge during the first 3,000 miles or so. Could this be an actual event, or just a faulty sending unit or similar gremlin. If it is actually happening, what could cause this and could it be harmful ?
Dealer looked at it and sees no fault or error codes indicated when look into memory. Weird. Has anyone else experienced this spike with any other Porsche or Audi? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:56 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 283 Likes on 190 Posts

This engine has an ECU controlled oil pump, which can reduce the pressure to reduce fuel consumption (lower pump pressure equals lower oil pump drive losses) when a lower oil pressure is acceptable during certain engine operating conditions. I think the pressure spikes you see are the ECU regularly "excercising" the pressure control solenoid valve. The higher oil pressure is not going to harm anything.....but one has to wonder why the engineers thought that the pressure control valve needs to be checked so often...I would think once per drive cycle would be more than enough!

Last edited by VAGfan; 09-27-2022 at 04:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by VAGfan:
dml (09-28-2022), Nickshu (09-27-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 10:31 AM
JohnTSI
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VAGfan
This engine has an ECU controlled oil pump, which can reduce the pressure to increase fuel consumption (lower pump pressure equals lower oil pump drive losses) when a lower oil pressure is acceptable during certain engine operating conditions. I think the pressure spikes you see are the ECU regularly "excercising" the pressure control solenoid valve. The higher oil pressure is not going to harm anything.....but one has to wonder why the engineers thought that the pressure control valve needs to be checked so often...I would think once per drive cycle would be more than enough!
Thanks for taking time to reply. I will forward to the dealer to look into as a cure.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:16 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 283 Likes on 190 Posts

See attached for a technical description of the ECU controlled oil pump.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
V6 Oil Pump.pdf (280.4 KB, 87 views)

Quick Reply: Random Oil Pressure spike at cruising speed