Macan 2014-Current

Buying a Macan S

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 06:41 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Buying a Macan S

Thinking of buying a Macan S. First considered buying used but the high prices and concern about transfer case issues put a damper on that route. Found a dealer who did not mark up the MSRP and placed a deposit on a new one, but posts on this forum have me concerned I will get a build slot. Dealer says I am second in line for a slot but cannot give me a date certain that I will get one.

If I do reconsider used, what years should I avoid? I want something with at least a few months of original warranty left, so that means 2018 and later. I have seen some 2021 and 2022 listings that are more expensive than the new MSRP.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:52 PM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Honest Macan prices can vary drastically in relation to the vehicles options. If you really want one now I would buy the first low miles example you find and be happy that you did. I don't know where you are located but the 2017 (S) I found for sale this time last year, six blocks from my home was a one off. I wanted a Turbo and tried to buy a GTS but they were GONE by the time I got my $#!+ together and that was March 2021.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:16 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Thinking of buying a Macan S. First considered buying used but the high prices and concern about transfer case issues put a damper on that route. Found a dealer who did not mark up the MSRP and placed a deposit on a new one, but posts on this forum have me concerned I will get a build slot. Dealer says I am second in line for a slot but cannot give me a date certain that I will get one.

If I do reconsider used, what years should I avoid? I want something with at least a few months of original warranty left, so that means 2018 and later. I have seen some 2021 and 2022 listings that are more expensive than the new MSRP.
Macans are not like a 911 Turbo S or GT3 so you should be able to walk into a dealer and order one. Production and delivery times will likely be longer but there should be plenty of allocations, so the fact the dealer put you "in line" and did not even give you a date for a Macan is a red flag to me.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:20 PM
Bigdogbob
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CapitalAL
Macans are not like a 911 Turbo S or GT3 so you should be able to walk into a dealer and order one. Production and delivery times will likely be longer but there should be plenty of allocations, so the fact the dealer put you "in line" and did not even give you a date for a Macan is a red flag to me.
unfortunately the war in Ukraine is causing significant delays in porsche production as most of their wiring bundles are produced their. So, if your car isn’t already in production the timeline to get it is going to be uncertain. At least that’s what I have read in a couple of articles.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:29 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 420 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL

Something to consider in your search, for a Manufactures Extension by Freedom Warranty, comparable to Fidelity Platinum, you're looking at $4,295 for 5 years / up to 100k miles, repairs accepted at all Porsche dealers in North America, covered for up to $275 an hour in labor, only $100 deductible, 0% financing is available. Contact me at (855) 924-1333 or tgibson@highline-autos.com if you have any questions or would like to see an example contract.

Here is the vehicle I used as an example: https://www.primemotorz.com/used-veh...an-awd-c-1038/

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 02 https://bit.ly/49A6n4M

The following users liked this post:
MrMarco (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 08:15 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Why is this a red flag? The dealer has a number of base models in black in stock, it's the S model that is on wait. The fact they do not charge over MSRP for new means they probably sell everything they get fast. I have dealt with this dealer before and they are trustworthy. The real question in my mind is Porsche production.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:29 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrMarco
Honest Macan prices can vary drastically in relation to the vehicles options. If you really want one now I would buy the first low miles example you find and be happy that you did. I don't know where you are located but the 2017 (S) I found for sale this time last year, six blocks from my home was a one off. I wanted a Turbo and tried to buy a GTS but they were GONE by the time I got my $#!+ together and that was March 2021.
Understand, but a Macan S built to my specs MSRP is 79-80K. Lower optioned 2021 and 2022 used cars with 5-10K mi are asking 80-85K. Sorry, but I am not that desperate to buy a Porsche. There are a lot of other products out there.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:05 PM
Bigdogbob
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Understand, but a Macan S built to my specs MSRP is 79-80K. Lower optioned 2021 and 2022 used cars with 5-10K mi are asking 80-85K. Sorry, but I am not that desperate to buy a Porsche. There are a lot of other products out there.
2022 model is superior to 2021 model as well. That’s why I passed on the 2021’s at the dealership back in November and ordered a 2022. But I am frustrated that I ordered it on November 30 and it still hasn’t gotten here.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:54 PM
CapitalAL
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Why is this a red flag? The dealer has a number of base models in black in stock, it's the S model that is on wait. The fact they do not charge over MSRP for new means they probably sell everything they get fast. I have dealt with this dealer before and they are trustworthy. The real question in my mind is Porsche production.
I would be very hesitant on putting a deposit down on a vehicle where they can't even tell you an approximate date, but since you said you have dealt with the dealer before, hopefully it will work out for you.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:17 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

I would be very hesitant on putting a deposit down on a vehicle where they can't even tell you an approximate date, but since you said you have dealt with the dealer before, hopefully it will work out for you.
Well, the deposit is fully refundable and I don't see going to another dealer would change much. If they cannot confirm a build slot within a few weeks to a month I may go elsewhere to another brand. After reading the timing chain cover leak post a used 2018 and earlier is now out of the question.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:22 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bigdogbob
2022 model is superior to 2021 model as well. That’s why I passed on the 2021’s at the dealership back in November and ordered a 2022. But I am frustrated that I ordered it on November 30 and it still hasn’t gotten here.
I might take a used 2021, but not at a cost equivalent to a custom spec'd 2022. If I cannot get a build slot, then I'll have to pass on Porsche for the time being.
Old 03-18-2022, 06:55 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 142 Likes on 116 Posts

I think that you should consult the larger Porsche dealerships, they have more allocations....Try Champion Porsche in Pompano Beach FL,
Old 03-18-2022, 08:09 PM
MrMarco
Pro

Originally Posted by DHL
Yep, Agreed. My S is lacking a couple options I would have chosen but plenty fast (with tune) and fits my current needs perfectly. I can overlook leaks and squeaks and the warranty fixes the rest. If I was looking to buy now it would certainly not be a Porsche, BMW lease.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:40 PM
rkw723
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree and know about long wait (getting longer) for new S or GTS with some dealers charging ADM.
You might consider a 22 base model, quite a few are already at dealers at MSRP, and if you need more hp, there are good tunes for the 2.0
What's ur 22 S configurator build code? I can give u some feedback on the various options since the configurator is weak to show differences/comparisons.

I was lucky to start early, got a Sept 2021 allocation for a 22 S (never got the GTS allocation I really wanted) and it arrived mid Jan. Most dealers here in So Calif started charging ADM and no pre-orders last Oct.
Old 03-20-2022, 10:25 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Originally Posted by rkw723
Agree and know about long wait (getting longer) for new S or GTS with some dealers charging ADM...
You might consider a 22 base model..
Or an RDX:
https://www.porschesantaclarita.com/...2022-acura-rdx
Then add 911 to the fleet in 2025, lol

Quick Reply: Buying a Macan S