Macan 2014-Current

Identifying necessary lug nut sockets

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 01:59 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikesarge
I already love this forum if this is how it's going to be. A guy comes in to the replies, willingly ignores the first half of a helpful post and uses it as an opportunity to act like he's a Porsche factory trained master tech because he's changed his wheels a couple times.
I mean you posted a blatantly wrong fact about the size of the lug, knowing full well that you didn't really have the answer. It just makes more stuff for someone to sift through when they are trying to find the information they are looking for. I appreciate the effort be helpful, and PSEE can definitely be a bit harsh, but ignoring people who correct you like @MrMarco is suggesting is kind of sticking your head in the sand. PSEE might be a bit grumpy but he had the correct information and you did not.
Old 02-21-2022, 03:11 PM
Mikesarge
6th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ozziegt
I mean you posted a blatantly wrong fact about the size of the lug, knowing full well that you didn't really have the answer. It just makes more stuff for someone to sift through when they are trying to find the information they are looking for. I appreciate the effort be helpful, and PSEE can definitely be a bit harsh, but ignoring people who correct you like @MrMarco is suggesting is kind of sticking your head in the sand. PSEE might be a bit grumpy but he had the correct information and you did not.
The irony here, is one of us helped OP get the answer they were after (which was about the locking nut, not the standard lug size); and one of us is being sanctimonious about "blatantly wrong facts" while complaining about "mak[ing] more stuff for someone to sift through" while actually making more stuff for someone to sift through via non-substantive, completely superfluous, self-important follow-up posts. I'm not going to argue about this, it's boring!

OP found the locking lug tool, and already reported that they got the help they needed. This thread should be closed.

In more than two decades contributing regularly on technical forums, this is by far the worst group of sanctimonious procedure policing I've encountered. I've heard horror stories about water-cooled porsche guys but man, some of y'all need to get a grip! We're talking about lug nuts here. This is not complicated, and if you require in-depth archive searches to get to the bottom of how to remove a lug, I firmly believe you should not be touching the car. If you put a 17 on the lug, and it's a 19, and you can't figure out what the issue is when you get there. you really should not be touching the car.

If I could edit the post, I'd change the equivocal suggestion of a 17mm lug to a firm, mea-culpa'd 19.

Last edited by Mikesarge; 02-21-2022 at 03:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MrMarco (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 03:24 PM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

The irony here, is one of us helped OP get the answer they were after (which was about the locking nut, not the standard lug size); and one of us is being sanctimonious about "blatantly wrong facts" while complaining about "mak[ing] more stuff for someone to sift through" while actually making more stuff for someone to sift through via non-substantive, completely superfluous, self-important follow-up posts. I'm not going to argue about this, it's boring!

OP found the locking lug tool, and already reported that they got the help they needed. This thread should be closed.

In more than two decades contributing regularly on technical forums, this is by far the worst group of sanctimonious procedure policing I've encountered. I've heard horror stories about water-cooled porsche guys but man, some of y'all need to get a grip! We're talking about lug nuts here. This is not complicated, and if you require in-depth archive searches to get to the bottom of how to remove a lug, I firmly believe you should not be touching the car. If you put a 17 on the lug, and it's a 19, and you can't figure out what the issue is when you get there. you really should not be touching the car.

If I could edit the post, I'd change the equivocal suggestion of a 17mm lug to a firm, mea-culpa'd 19.
🏆
The following users liked this post:
Mikesarge (02-21-2022)
Old 02-21-2022, 07:16 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Dude, the question was very clear: "Can somebody please help identify the necessary sockets to take this wheel off". You said 17mm which is wrong. He posted 19mm which is correct. End of story. I don't understand why you feel the need to write an essay about it. If you had owned up to your mistake it would have been fine, but instead you are choosing to attack anyone who is pointing it out for you, and you are deciding to make generalizations and insult the entire community on top of that! That's the issue here, not the lug nuts.

Last edited by ozziegt; 02-21-2022 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:15 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by dbf73
Do most people keep the anti theft lug or swap it for a regular one? I’ve swapped on our other cars
I always order 4 replacement standard lugs on new cars to get rid of the security socket ASAP. Agree w/ above comments on the topic, it won't prevent theft and is just a PITA.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nickshu:
golovorub (02-23-2022), MrMarco (02-22-2022)

Quick Reply: Identifying necessary lug nut sockets