Macan steering rack repeated failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 10:50 PM
mivanov_86
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Macan steering rack repeated failure

Dear All

Have a 2018 Macan Turbo with ~30K miles on it. Recently, the steering feel on a car became weird (steeringl became numb and not precise - steering wheel feels almost loose when going on a straight line, especially at high speed). Took it to the dealer who found that steering rack has failed. Problem is that the car already had steering rack replaced 18 months ago.
The dealer initially wanted to do some analysis as to why the steering rack keeps failing, but then per Porsche advice/request simply decided to replace the steering rack again and "see what happens".
Seems quite concerning that the same part keeps failing again and again and Porsche simply offers to replace it instead of trying to find the underlying problem cause.
(I would actually say that even after the steering rack was replaced the first time smth did not feel quite right - but it was a vague feeling + covid etc so I did not pursue that 18 months ago, but now I am seriously concerned that Smth might be wrong with the car)
Some tech info: Porsche 2018 Macan, 21" Pirelli P zero tires

So, first question: I am wondering - how many people have experienced steering rack failures on their Macans? Am I doing Smth wrong - I pretty much babied it after the steering rack was replaced the first time.
Yet, this problem popped up again 18 months later. I do have a tight parking spot in a building garage - so there is a lot of dry steering involved getting there. But are Macans not suitable for driving in tight garages? That's the first question.

Second one I would like to solicit advice on how to deal with Porsche customer service in this regard.
The dealer has ordered the part, but (due to COVID, supply chain disruption) there is no ETA for the part (even one month since it was ordered).
In the mean time Porsche is refusing a loaner since the car is supposedly "safe to drive". I am not sure how a car with a broken steering rack could be considered "safe",
So, any advice on how to approach this issue with Porsche/dealer would be greatly appreciated as well. If it were couple of weeks downtime (like originally promised it is kinda OK, but now since no ETA for the spare part could be provided who knows how long I am stuck with a car that I am afraid to drive).

Thank you for your time and input!
The following users liked this post:
Alec459 (04-19-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 09:46 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Wow, that's frightening and most likely very expensive. Let's hope your experience was a one off.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:47 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by mivanov_86
Dear All

Have a 2018 Macan Turbo with ~30K miles on it. Recently, the steering feel on a car became weird (steeringl became numb and not precise - steering wheel feels almost loose when going on a straight line, especially at high speed). Took it to the dealer who found that steering rack has failed. Problem is that the car already had steering rack replaced 18 months ago.
The dealer initially wanted to do some analysis as to why the steering rack keeps failing, but then per Porsche advice/request simply decided to replace the steering rack again and "see what happens".
Seems quite concerning that the same part keeps failing again and again and Porsche simply offers to replace it instead of trying to find the underlying problem cause.
(I would actually say that even after the steering rack was replaced the first time smth did not feel quite right - but it was a vague feeling + covid etc so I did not pursue that 18 months ago, but now I am seriously concerned that Smth might be wrong with the car)
Some tech info: Porsche 2018 Macan, 21" Pirelli P zero tires

So, first question: I am wondering - how many people have experienced steering rack failures on their Macans? Am I doing Smth wrong - I pretty much babied it after the steering rack was replaced the first time.
Yet, this problem popped up again 18 months later. I do have a tight parking spot in a building garage - so there is a lot of dry steering involved getting there. But are Macans not suitable for driving in tight garages? That's the first question.

Second one I would like to solicit advice on how to deal with Porsche customer service in this regard.
The dealer has ordered the part, but (due to COVID, supply chain disruption) there is no ETA for the part (even one month since it was ordered).
In the mean time Porsche is refusing a loaner since the car is supposedly "safe to drive". I am not sure how a car with a broken steering rack could be considered "safe",
So, any advice on how to approach this issue with Porsche/dealer would be greatly appreciated as well. If it were couple of weeks downtime (like originally promised it is kinda OK, but now since no ETA for the spare part could be provided who knows how long I am stuck with a car that I am afraid to drive).

Thank you for your time and input!
I have an '18 Macan Turbo and have never had anything like that with my car, nor have I seen any reports of it being a generic issue.
Your dealer has sort of admitted the part may be defective. Assuming that may become a real liability, keep complaining, compile records of your complaint and escalate to Porsche North America.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:30 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

Well that sucks BUT if it was me... I'd get in writing from the dealers service manager that you are being instructed to drive it and that it's okay to drive it. Then anything else that happens is all on them. Not really much else you can do other than contact PCS and tell them you want to escalate a problem and to get them involved.
The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 06:35 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Does this car have warranty? Does it have CPO warranty?
I believe a Porsche replaced part carry a 2 year, 50k mile warranty. https://www.porsche.com/canada/en/ac...arranty%20work.
If this a warrantied part, They will take it back. If you are paying for it, which you shouldn't be, then this is your part. Keep it.
Second replacement rack? Bad fluid? Wrong fluid? Ask for a fluid sample. Electric pump, isn't it? Over pressured?
No reason to trust a franchise owner. Have you asked Porsche to get involved.

When my X5 was in the shop for 59 strait days while under warranty, with no loaner. I picked it up rinsed, but not clean, full of sand and dust.
I politely commented that they could have at leased detailed the car before giving it back to me.
The service manager took issue to my comment, and said "right now I just want to punch you in the face".
When I brought my experience up with BMW HO. They said it was a franchise issue, and to deal with the owner group.

From what I've learned. Everything in writing. No commencement of work, until price is agreed upon, or confirmation of warranty coverage ... in writing.
Trust no one. It's just business.
If your getting a power steering fluid samples. Watch it getting taken. 3 samples. yours, theirs, control.
I'm sure you will be fine. I'm just bitter.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 02-08-2022 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:42 PM
mivanov_86
Track Day

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Does this car have warranty? Does it have CPO warranty?
I believe a Porsche replaced part carry a 2 year, 50k mile warranty. https://www.porsche.com/canada/en/ac...arranty%20work.
If this a warrantied part, They will take it back. If you are paying for it, which you shouldn't be, then this is your part. Keep it.
Second replacement rack? Bad fluid? Wrong fluid? Ask for a fluid sample. Electric pump, isn't it? Over pressured?
No reason to trust a franchise owner. Have you asked Porsche to get involved.

When my X5 was in the shop for 59 strait days while under warranty, with no loaner. I picked it up rinsed, but not clean, full of sand and dust.
I politely commented that they could have at leased detailed the car before giving it back to me.
The service manager took issue to my comment, and said "right now I just want to punch you in the face".
When I brought my experience up with BMW HO. They said it was a franchise issue, and to deal with the owner group.

From what I've learned. Everything in writing. No commencement of work, until price is agreed upon, or confirmation of warranty coverage ... in writing.
Trust no one. It's just business.
If your getting a power steering fluid samples. Watch it getting taken. 3 samples. yours, theirs, control.
I'm sure you will be fine. I'm just bitter.
Thank you BIG Smoke - sorry about your BMW experience - do you mind telling which dealership that was - cause my wife drives a BMW.

On a more substantive note. The car IS under original warranty - it has warranty until early 2023. The steering system is purely electric.
I will be pursuing it with PCNA and will get things in writing. (See my response to Nick S below)

Last edited by mivanov_86; 02-08-2022 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:43 PM
mivanov_86
Track Day

Originally Posted by NickS
Well that sucks BUT if it was me... I'd get in writing from the dealers service manager that you are being instructed to drive it and that it's okay to drive it. Then anything else that happens is all on them. Not really much else you can do other than contact PCS and tell them you want to escalate a problem and to get them involved.
That's exactly what I am pursuing at the moment. Thank you NickS.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:56 PM
mivanov_86
Track Day

UPDATE: Original Poster here

Thank you all for responding and valuable input!
I actually just took a car for a longer drive on a highway. And I can attest that the steering issues I mention are NOT present when driving on a highway.
So, it seems that it only affects city-like driving. Which makes me wonder whether the dealer's assessment that it is faulty steering rack is correct.
Could the culprit behind problematic in-city driving be, in fact, Porsche Steering plus module - which, if I understand correctly, turns OFF at highway speeds?
So, maybe I had proper steering rack all along and it is the steering column module that requires attention?

To give a more background on this - I actually myself might have brought the dealer to the conclusion that steering rack might be bad - cause when I brought car in for repair, I said "This one HAD steering rack failure in the past - please check it ASAP". I wonder whether that affected dealer's judgement of the issue?

Any input on my guess about Porsche Steering Plus module being faulty? Is it indeed true that it is ON only at city-driving and OFF at highway. Or am I mixing things up?
Also any advice on how to get the ball rolling with PCNA corporate office would be appreciated - should I get in touch with Porsche regional service manager office - what is the proper route here?

Last edited by mivanov_86; 02-09-2022 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 01:38 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

There's no such thing as a "Porsche Steering Plus module." PSP (Power Steering Plus) is a software option. It will have nothing to do with this issue.
Old 02-19-2022, 10:13 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mivanov_86
UPDATE: Original Poster here

Thank you all for responding and valuable input!
I actually just took a car for a longer drive on a highway. And I can attest that the steering issues I mention are NOT present when driving on a highway.
So, it seems that it only affects city-like driving. Which makes me wonder whether the dealer's assessment that it is faulty steering rack is correct.
Could the culprit behind problematic in-city driving be, in fact, Porsche Steering plus module - which, if I understand correctly, turns OFF at highway speeds?
So, maybe I had proper steering rack all along and it is the steering column module that requires attention?
If it's not the steering rack this time, you will find out pretty quickly after they replace it. As long as it's under warranty it's inconvenient but it's not costing you much.
Old 12-28-2022, 05:55 PM
Mark K.
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Macan S Steering rack replacement at 50K miles

So I just found out my steering rack needs replaced and it will be over $4000.
Last month it was a leaking valve cover gasket. Wow this is ridiculous. Will sell once repairs are done.

Old 12-28-2022, 11:12 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 304 Likes on 199 Posts

These electric steering racks, used across many VW and Audis, have some issue where water gets into the rack and causes problems.....
Old 12-29-2022, 10:06 AM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

Check the Lemon Laws of your state. Many say that if you have the same problem more than 3 times the dealer may be obligated to replace the car. While that would be an extreme solution, threatening to file a lemon law claim will certainly get the dealer's attention to dig a little deeper into the root cause of the problem...
Old 12-29-2022, 10:40 AM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 119 Posts

To the OP, what tires are you using? What tire pressure are you using? When was the last full alignment? I’m curious…
Old 12-29-2022, 10:49 AM
16PanaHybrid
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
To the OP, what tires are you using? What tire pressure are you using? When was the last full alignment? I’m curious…
This was the last post OP ever made here on the forums (last March): https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post18046921

Quick Reply: Macan steering rack repeated failure