Macan 2014-Current

Macan steering rack repeated failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 12:17 PM
mivanov_86
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
To the OP, what tires are you using? What tire pressure are you using? When was the last full alignment? I’m curious…
I just had my four tires replaced couple of months ago. It is Pirelli P zero with 36 front and 38 rear pressure. The steering rack seems fine (ie there is NO play as it used to be). Though I would say steering is still a bit on a lighter side. I wonder whether this is related to caster angle being too small?
Old 12-29-2022, 12:20 PM
mivanov_86
Track Day

Originally Posted by Mark K.
So I just found out my steering rack needs replaced and it will be over $4000.
Last month it was a leaking valve cover gasket. Wow this is ridiculous. Will sell once repairs are done.

sorry that you experience this issue. Though I must say I never had this warning coming up. The dealer DID say that smth was leaking (without being able to provide details) but steering never required extra effort and no warning appeared.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:27 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 304 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by mivanov_86
I just had my four tires replaced couple of months ago. It is Pirelli P zero with 36 front and 38 rear pressure. The steering rack seems fine (ie there is NO play as it used to be). Though I would say steering is still a bit on a lighter side. I wonder whether this is related to caster angle being too small?
Caster and camber are not adjustable on the front of the Macan, only Toe is.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:31 PM
mivanov_86
Track Day

Default Update from OP

OP here. After long back and forth between me Porsche and dealer I got a call from Porsche regional service manager who authorized for my car to be moved to another dealer and miraculously the spare part(steering rack) was sourced and installed pretty quickly - I got my car back in less than a week after the call. The dealer who did the repair (ie not the original crappy dealer) was amazing quick and responsive. Therefore I plan to take my car there from now on. (Actually I did: I had major service and all four tire replacement there since) Porsche of Jacksonville people are terrific!!!

I would not name the original (bad!)dealer I went to. Send me a PM in case you are wondering.

sorry for not updating you guys. And thanks for all the concerns!!!
Old 12-29-2022, 12:58 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 119 Posts

The reason I asked these questions is because I went through a new set of Conti6’s in less than 9k miles. Turned out the alignment was WAY out. I took possession with 24 miles on it new. So for me I always get a full alignment with Porsche when I mount new tires. Btw, your pressure seems a little high. I run 33/36 on 20” wheels with Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics. Fourth set now.
Old 12-29-2022, 03:11 PM
mivanov_86
Track Day

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
The reason I asked these questions is because I went through a new set of Conti6’s in less than 9k miles. Turned out the alignment was WAY out. I took possession with 24 miles on it new. So for me I always get a full alignment with Porsche when I mount new tires. Btw, your pressure seems a little high. I run 33/36 on 20” wheels with Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics. Fourth set now.
thanks for the heads up on tire pressure. I always wondered. The manual states indeed 33/36 or smth like that. But the car (with what I think properly selected tire type) shows that this pressure is too low. So I kinda split the difference. But will try 33/36.
Old 12-29-2022, 07:04 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 119 Posts

thanks for the heads up on tire pressure. I always wondered. The manual states indeed 33/36 or smth like that. But the car (with what I think properly selected tire type) shows that this pressure is too low. So I kinda split the difference. But will try 33/36.
You’re probably aware of the chicken or the egg question about do you go by what’s recommended on the driver door jam or inside the gas cap door. I usually go by the gas cap door. And sometimes I’ll fine tune it from there. A large impact on my tire pressure is, to me, based on the tire itself. I’ve found I always had to add air for Michelin tires.

Quick Reply: Macan steering rack repeated failure