Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Timed annual maintenance a must?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2021 | 01:33 PM
cthreefive
4th Gear

Default Timed annual maintenance a must?

Hey! New(ish) Porsche owner here..

Background: Pre-owned 2019 Macan S purchased with 5000 miles w/ CPO. It had undergone a maintenance 'package' when I had bought it in Dec 2020. Current Mileage is 11000 miles. Most of the miles were driven earlier in the year driving to where I am now (cars mostly been sitting in the garage).

I'm currently posted outside of the USA (in Canada) and wondering how absolutely necessary it is to complete the Annual Maintenance (oil+filter, brake fluid). I understand the oil has "time life", but its still about 4k miles away from "mileage" based change. Additionally, do I risk anything with the CPO if I don't get it serviced "on time"? Most likelyI'll hit the 15000 miles next summer. I'm pretty mechanically savvy so I can do the small stuff like cabin filter etc. but still don't feel those things are needed because the life of the product.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 10-28-2021 | 05:28 PM
offagain
Instructor

Personally, I wouldnt skip any annual maintenance. Just because you dont hit it on the mileage side, shorter trips, heat / cold cycles etc will impact the life of the oil, brake fluid etc. So it might seem unnecessary, I wouldnt skip it. If you are happy to do some of the aspects on the schedule, that should be fine. Just make sure you communicate it and tell them to not do that part and confirm with them that its done - that way you can keep to the schedule.
The following 2 users liked this post by offagain:
cthreefive (11-01-2021), MrMarco (10-29-2021)
Old 10-28-2021 | 10:48 PM
wwahl
Pro

Originally Posted by cthreefive
Hey! New(ish) Porsche owner here..

Background: Pre-owned 2019 Macan S purchased with 5000 miles w/ CPO. It had undergone a maintenance 'package' when I had bought it in Dec 2020. Current Mileage is 11000 miles. Most of the miles were driven earlier in the year driving to where I am now (cars mostly been sitting in the garage).

I'm currently posted outside of the USA (in Canada) and wondering how absolutely necessary it is to complete the Annual Maintenance (oil+filter, brake fluid). I understand the oil has "time life", but its still about 4k miles away from "mileage" based change. Additionally, do I risk anything with the CPO if I don't get it serviced "on time"? Most likelyI'll hit the 15000 miles next summer. I'm pretty mechanically savvy so I can do the small stuff like cabin filter etc. but still don't feel those things are needed because the life of the product.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
The 'book' says every year minimum. You are still under the OEM warranty. This should mean you have to do the third year service despite the fact you haven't gone anywhere.
The following 3 users liked this post by wwahl:
cthreefive (11-01-2021), MarkinMD (10-29-2021), MrMarco (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021 | 09:22 AM
MrMarco
Pro

I think Project Farm (SeaFoam Guy) did a VID on whether the oil really does break down after a year. I looked but couldn't find it among all the Penzoil VS AMsoil BS

https://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectFarm/videos

But I agree with wwahl, you should follow the manufactures recommendations.
The following users liked this post:
cthreefive (11-01-2021)
Old 10-29-2021 | 09:23 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Old 10-29-2021 | 06:42 PM
PSEE
Pro

As noted above - the warranty states maintenance intervals, time and/or miles, for compliance.

You need to ask yourself whether you want to toss the warranty coverage in order to save a few $.

Old 10-30-2021 | 02:46 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

The biggest thing is the oil change--every year or 10k miles, whichever comes first. Cabin & engine air filters should be able to go by miles but that's just my opinion. Brake flush every 2 years is debatable. I measure the water content of the fluid and go by that on my cars unless I track and/or drive them like I stole 'em.In regards to warranty issues, I wouldn't worry too much. The manufacturer cannot simply void a warranty on unrelated stuff (ie. engine failure because you didn't change the cabin airfilter).
Stealerships and automobile manufacturers do what's best for them. Remember when Mercedes used to have free maintenance for 4 years, kind of like BMW does now? It included brakes but not the rotor replacement since they claimed that rotors are good for up to 60k miles. When they did away with the complimentary service, they were adamant about replacing the rotors on every brake job. It's always about the Benjamins.
The following users liked this post:
cthreefive (11-01-2021)
Old 10-30-2021 | 02:58 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Do it based on time. Both for health of car and warranty coverage. If you want to save some cash, take it to an independent shop.
Old 11-01-2021 | 02:07 PM
cthreefive
4th Gear

Excellent advice, thank you all!

Looks like the major consensus is to do the stuff that I can't do (ex. cabin filter).

Old 11-02-2021 | 09:06 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

What is required to maintain warranty is clearly written in the owners manual.
Wallet flush is posted at the dealership spa walls, or at the bottom of your four page statement.
Cabin filter, engine filter, are easy to change. I pull them twice a year to inspect.
Knock them out to clean, or replace if needed. I have taken to dating the cabin filter with a sharpy.
I never remember when I replaced it last.
My CPO cabin filter was filthy. No way was it changed before delivery.

Quick Reply: Timed annual maintenance a must?