Which Macan to order!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 01:23 AM
porschevroom
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Which Macan to order!

Hi Everyone,
Hope everyone is having an amazing day! I am reaching out to get some expert guidance from our forum members in trying to purchase a Macan and figuring out which variant to buy!

We recently rented a 2021 Macan S for a month and really liked the car. The chassis is amazing, steering is very direct and accurate. We recently took it for a trip to Banff and it was great to drive and very comfortable!

Our heart is set on ordering it, save for an annoyance. We live in an area of heavy traffic and many unprotected left turns. We found that once Macan has launched the performance is very strong. However many times when trying to launch from a stop, the car just doesn't move for 1-2 seconds! This relative unpredictability seems very unusual for an otherwise amazing car.

I spent some time going through other posts on the forum about this and it seems like some others have also experience it. I am not sure if the consensus is whether this is due to turbo lag or due to the dual clutch transmission or whether it is an issue with the S variant with a single turbo.

Do you think this is an issue with the particular car or is this an issue with all Macan S (with has a single turbo engine which has been removed from lineup for next year). Would the Base or GTS and Turbo have better performance on launch from stop! We have flexibility in our budget that we can go for any of the variants. However unfortunately there aren't many variants available for test drive in my area.

Thanks and looking forward to your feedback!
Old 09-14-2021, 02:09 PM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Turbo
Take it from me, you can make the S as quick as a GTS, but you'll never match the low numbers produced by the turbo.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:37 PM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't think there's any Turbo left on the market, the new 2022 GTS is basically the old Turbo,

I do notice the (turbo) lag in regular mode, put it in Sport it will hold gear and boost a lot better for instant power.
The following users liked this post:
MrMarco (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 03:33 PM
porschevroom
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMarco
Turbo
Take it from me, you can make the S as quick as a GTS, but you'll never match the low numbers produced by the turbo.
Thanks for your response

Does it mean that the Turbo has a better low end!
Old 09-14-2021, 03:43 PM
MrMarco
Pro

Wow, a quick search of AutoTrader has me feeling for those who were planning to buy ANY Macan at this point. IF you find an allocated Macan you should buy it.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:52 PM
robbieracer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porschevroom
Thanks for your response

Does it mean that the Turbo has a better low end!
The GTS and Turbo have two turbochargers and the S only has one turbocharger, so there is more of a lag with the S, putting it in sport or sport+ will help from a stop. The 2.9 liter (Turbo and GTS) engine is supposed to have minimal lag.
I drove the GTS a couple weeks back and it was very responsive for a heavier car.

Last edited by robbieracer; 09-14-2021 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:21 AM
Seks
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porschevroom
Hi Everyone,
We recently rented a 2021 Macan S for a month and really liked the car. The chassis is amazing, steering is very direct and accurate. We recently took it for a trip to Banff and it was great to drive and very comfortable!
I am assuming you rented the car from Calgary? Which rental place?
Old 09-15-2021, 09:28 AM
alanek
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I find if I put my S on Hold my acceleration increases dramatically.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:15 AM
USGooner
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

We have a 2017 Macan S and it has been flawless. It's my wife's daily driver and no evidence of a delay when putting your foot in it. No it doesn't compare to my 991.2 GTS and few cars do. BTW it doesn't not have any additional performance goodies like Sport Chrono, but has done its job quite well. So well, if fact, we did get an allocation for a 2022 Macan S and hope to see vehicle sometime late Spring 2022 Good luck and hope you find the car you want.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:00 PM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Faust T.
I don't think there's any Turbo left on the market, the new 2022 GTS is basically the old Turbo,

I do notice the (turbo) lag in regular mode, put it in Sport it will hold gear and boost a lot better for instant power.
6 2021 turbos currently on the market for sale. Do a search on the Porsche site.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:07 AM
spraguedawley
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwarz992C4S
6 2021 turbos currently on the market for sale. Do a search on the Porsche site.
The Porsche site is highly inaccurate for used inventory. The majority of cars I have been interested in are not actually available.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:43 AM
Faust T.
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by spraguedawley
The Porsche site is highly inaccurate for used inventory. The majority of cars I have been interested in are not actually available.
while that is true, but I think he means new vehicle, I did a search on AutoTrader and seems like there's 7 brand new 21 Turbo on the market now,

There are 10 times more new Aston Martin DBX on the market than Macan Turbo, let that sink in for a moment....
Old 09-16-2021, 01:59 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts

2020 S here. No lag off the line.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:47 PM
evil panda
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

I enjoyed your enthusiastic use of exclamation points!

You don’t mention what other cars you’re used to/are comparison shopping with, so it’s hard to tell whether the S is just slow by your standards. If that’s the issue, the Turbo is a massive acceleration upgrade from the S if you want to look at that.

Other than that, i absolutely despise the throttle response when the car is not in Sport mode. do you remember if you had it off? If so, never turn it off and you’ll be fine!
Old 09-16-2021, 05:05 PM
MrMarco
Pro

Originally Posted by evil panda
I enjoyed your enthusiastic use of exclamation points!

You don’t mention what other cars you’re used to/are comparison shopping with, so it’s hard to tell whether the S is just slow by your standards. If that’s the issue, the Turbo is a massive acceleration upgrade from the S if you want to look at that.

Other than that, i absolutely despise the throttle response when the car is not in Sport mode. do you remember if you had it off? If so, never turn it off and you’ll be fine!
Do you mean the ones where the question mark should have been used, or the sentences that could have been shorter by replacing the comma with a period!

Quick Reply: Which Macan to order!