Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Which Macan to order!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021 | 06:41 PM
hammergjh
Track Day

Originally Posted by MrMarco
Wow, a quick search of AutoTrader has me feeling for those who were planning to buy ANY Macan at this point. IF you find an allocated Macan you should buy it.
Which I just did, a 2021 base model. A nicely tricked out one from a Suburban Boston dealership. It's arriving this week.
They had 2 coming in, I picked from those. 1 Macan S in the showroom. It was over 100 grand. They wren't selling any of their loaners. I tried.

They were asking 350 grand for this one.

The following users liked this post:
MrMarco (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021 | 08:00 PM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porschevroom
Hi Everyone,
Hope everyone is having an amazing day! I am reaching out to get some expert guidance from our forum members in trying to purchase a Macan and figuring out which variant to buy!

We recently rented a 2021 Macan S for a month and really liked the car. The chassis is amazing, steering is very direct and accurate. We recently took it for a trip to Banff and it was great to drive and very comfortable!

Our heart is set on ordering it, save for an annoyance. We live in an area of heavy traffic and many unprotected left turns. We found that once Macan has launched the performance is very strong. However many times when trying to launch from a stop, the car just doesn't move for 1-2 seconds! This relative unpredictability seems very unusual for an otherwise amazing car.

I spent some time going through other posts on the forum about this and it seems like some others have also experience it. I am not sure if the consensus is whether this is due to turbo lag or due to the dual clutch transmission or whether it is an issue with the S variant with a single turbo.

Do you think this is an issue with the particular car or is this an issue with all Macan S (with has a single turbo engine which has been removed from lineup for next year). Would the Base or GTS and Turbo have better performance on launch from stop! We have flexibility in our budget that we can go for any of the variants. However unfortunately there aren't many variants available for test drive in my area.

Thanks and looking forward to your feedback!
This is probably a stupid question, but did you turn off the Stop/Start feature?
Old 09-16-2021 | 09:44 PM
rajeshr
Instructor

Originally Posted by robbieracer
The GTS and Turbo have two turbochargers and the S only has one turbocharger, so there is more of a lag with the S, putting it in sport or sport+ will help from a stop. The 2.9 liter (Turbo and GTS) engine is supposed to have minimal lag.
I drove the GTS a couple weeks back and it was very responsive for a heavier car.
Doesn't the S have twin turbochargers too?
Old 09-16-2021 | 10:11 PM
TikiLou
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rajeshr
Doesn't the S have twin turbochargers too?
Not the current (outgoing) one. It's a 3L single turbo engine.

The GTS and Turbo variants are 2.9L twin turbo engines.
Old 09-16-2021 | 10:14 PM
MrMarco
Pro

Originally Posted by hammergjh
Which I just did, a 2021 base model. A nicely tricked out one from a Suburban Boston dealership. It's arriving this week.
They had 2 coming in, I picked from those. 1 Macan S in the showroom. It was over 100 grand. They wren't selling any of their loaners. I tried.

They were asking 350 grand for this one.
OMG My teenage dream car!!! But if I had $350k I'd buy a piece of land in BFE
Old 09-17-2021 | 01:21 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by porschevroom
Hi Everyone,
Hope everyone is having an amazing day! I am reaching out to get some expert guidance from our forum members in trying to purchase a Macan and figuring out which variant to buy!

We recently rented a 2021 Macan S for a month and really liked the car. The chassis is amazing, steering is very direct and accurate. We recently took it for a trip to Banff and it was great to drive and very comfortable!

Our heart is set on ordering it, save for an annoyance. We live in an area of heavy traffic and many unprotected left turns. We found that once Macan has launched the performance is very strong. However many times when trying to launch from a stop, the car just doesn't move for 1-2 seconds! This relative unpredictability seems very unusual for an otherwise amazing car.

I spent some time going through other posts on the forum about this and it seems like some others have also experience it. I am not sure if the consensus is whether this is due to turbo lag or due to the dual clutch transmission or whether it is an issue with the S variant with a single turbo.

Do you think this is an issue with the particular car or is this an issue with all Macan S (with has a single turbo engine which has been removed from lineup for next year). Would the Base or GTS and Turbo have better performance on launch from stop! We have flexibility in our budget that we can go for any of the variants. However unfortunately there aren't many variants available for test drive in my area.

Thanks and looking forward to your feedback!
here's your answer
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...-drive-review/

Quick Reply: Which Macan to order!