Pedal Commander. Who has one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 10:46 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts

[QUOTE=DHF;18448720]
Originally Posted by wwahl
I got my Pedal Commander installed today. All the installation tips here came in handy, especially #33. I ended up stuffing all the extra wire and the unit up on the shelf above the pedals. I don't think it is going anywhere. A headlamp allowed me to use both my hands when reinstalling the accelerator pedal. I put a little bit of windshield sealant on the Torx screw to keep it attached to the driver when putting it back in. The use of the packaging box was most helpful as was the hint about the slot behind the pedal. My Macan is an '18 S.that has been Cobbed.[/QUOTE
I have a cobbed 2017 S that I installed the PC on a year ago and it transformed the vehicle performance. If I had realized that I don't know that I would have bothered with the Cobb as the PC is all I need.
I'm running City #1 which is plenty for me.
You're gonna love it
Based on your recommendation, I went back and changed the settings to 'City' #1. I ran very well with this. I'll leave it there for a while.
Old 11-10-2022, 04:24 PM
chipsterguy
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pedal commander ordered and expecting delivery this weekend. Just purchased a CPO'd 2018 Macan GTS with very low milage, one owner. As much as I love the Macan, it does need instant throttle response. will report back with impressions and results.
Regards,
Guy
Old 12-11-2022, 02:30 PM
okkin
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone considered what would happen if after install the PD somehow fails? What would happen? Anything to consider?
Old 12-11-2022, 02:52 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by okkin
Has anyone considered what would happen if after install the PD somehow fails? What would happen? Anything to consider?
Just disconnect it.
Old 12-11-2022, 02:57 PM
okkin
Instructor

Originally Posted by wwahl
Just disconnect it.

Let me clarify, if the units fails while it is installed and you are driving, would that somehow disrupt its throttle capabilities while driving?
Old 12-11-2022, 03:13 PM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

Fuel and air flow to the engine is fly by wire, i.e., all electrically and computer controlled. Good engineering design practices would say that if the Pedal Commander failed it should fail in the "open", i.e., no throttle, foot off the accelerator mode and the car would coast to a stop. Same as if the Porsche accelerator circuitry failed. The throttle body is relying on getting a signal from the accelerator telling it how far to open the throttle body. Typically an air flow sensor then tells the car's computer (ECU) to boost the amount of fuel from the injectors proportionate to the amount of air it sees. The Pedal Commander sits between the accelerator circuit and the car computer, modifying the accelerator signal and then sending it on to the throttle body. It monitors the rate of change in the accelerator position and causes the throttle body to open faster than Porsche programmed it to open if it were just being controlled by the accelerator. If the throttle body isn't getting a signal either because your foot is off the accelerator or there is a failure in the circuitry, whether it's the accelerator circuitry or the Pedal Commander circuitry, then the throttle body doesn't open, the engine gets minimal fuel and air and the car will coast to a stop.
The following users liked this post:
Wilder (12-11-2022)
Old 12-11-2022, 10:39 PM
okkin
Instructor

Originally Posted by mvmojo
Fuel and air flow to the engine is fly by wire, i.e., all electrically and computer controlled. Good engineering design practices would say that if the Pedal Commander failed it should fail in the "open", i.e., no throttle, foot off the accelerator mode and the car would coast to a stop. Same as if the Porsche accelerator circuitry failed. The throttle body is relying on getting a signal from the accelerator telling it how far to open the throttle body. Typically an air flow sensor then tells the car's computer (ECU) to boost the amount of fuel from the injectors proportionate to the amount of air it sees. The Pedal Commander sits between the accelerator circuit and the car computer, modifying the accelerator signal and then sending it on to the throttle body. It monitors the rate of change in the accelerator position and causes the throttle body to open faster than Porsche programmed it to open if it were just being controlled by the accelerator. If the throttle body isn't getting a signal either because your foot is off the accelerator or there is a failure in the circuitry, whether it's the accelerator circuitry or the Pedal Commander circuitry, then the throttle body doesn't open, the engine gets minimal fuel and air and the car will coast to a stop.
Understood, and thank you for taking the time to write this up. The thought process was in failure the Pedal commander would some how 'get stuck' in the closed position, rather than the open and therefore accelerating. I was just exploring about all the possible scenarios before purchase because I will very rarely be the one driving the Macan.

Quick Reply: Pedal Commander. Who has one?