Notices
Macan 2014-Current

My interesting ordeal changing the rear brake pads and rotors!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 04:02 PM
SaulV
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My interesting ordeal changing the rear brake pads and rotors!

Another one of my adventures with my car. We wanted to venture out and do the rear brake pads, along with the rotors and gathered all the tools needed and even purchased the iCarsoft Tool for the rear pistons (I must have done something wrong because they locked up again after opening them)

My #1 Lesson learned is that Porsche uses a lot of aluminum bolts for this car in order to save weight but if you are careful like me...you can easily snap a bolt and ended up with my ordeal.

Did learn the the rear brake sliding bolt caliper is shared with Chevrolet's so ended up picking up a Chevy Sliding Bolt to replace the one i broke.

I guess i now have a Chevy Porsche Macan!

Anyhow, hope to share my experience today in this video and hope it helps in some sort of way if you want to do this DIY yourself also.

Last edited by SaulV; 01-08-2021 at 04:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DiscoWagon (01-08-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 02:29 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,129 Likes on 1,462 Posts

For the "Actuator" you are taking apart on the rear, this is for the electric parking brake, yes? If so, that's not how you want to do it. All you need to do is get a 12v battery (spare motorcycle or lawn tractor or even a cordless drill), then run two wires off the spare battery to the plug that goes to that Emergency Brake - put some current to it and the motor / puck will run right back in about three seconds time. If it runs forward, then reverse the leads. No computer or diagnostic software needed. The plug to the Emergency Brake will look like this, stick your two wires where the yellow arrows are.

Last edited by drcollie; 01-09-2021 at 02:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (01-09-2021)

Quick Reply: My interesting ordeal changing the rear brake pads and rotors!