Notices
Macan 2014-Current

info on macan, which one to get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 10:57 PM
yuval
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

some points. the base macan and the Audi Q5 prestige are the same cost when new. in the longer run the macan will hold its value.
best selling car in Audi , its the Q5. best selling Porsche , its the macan.
its the same AUDI engine in the 2 cars, but the macan has the PDK . ( I love Audi , my current car is the A8L , I also have a 1995 993 )
the base model is for my wife. its more then enough. she is moving from MB GLK 350 which is V6 and 302 hp
you can not even compere the 2. the macan is so much better drive and power. its a different league. there is good money in the
midsize SUV , and Porsche wants that market. and for those who need the power , you have the S , GTS , TURBO.
( the macan GTS and TURBO are a bargain compare to the 911 )

The following 2 users liked this post by yuval:
Fiat88 (01-19-2021), T3X4S (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 11:32 PM
#thatsmytoy
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 2017 base last June. Traded in my 2015 Macan S (with Burmeister stereo), 100k miles & no warranty. I love this car. The white with black trim is beautiful. It's fun to drive. Do I miss the S...yep...but now I have 1 year left on the original warranty plus 2 years CPO.. Peace of mind. I'm 65 years old and 6'6" and I love driving the backroads of San Diego, but I dont drive 100 mph, although last week my wife was driving on the I-15 and doing 95mph...told her...said she didnt realize it...the Macan is so smooth on the freeway*** ....but if i win the lottery...i will get a new turbo***
The following users liked this post:
Fiat88 (01-19-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 06:19 PM
sexfiend
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Why do you think air suspension is BETTER or NOT? It's an OPTION. Each has it's purpose. That's the beauty of it:

Steel springs: Free. Stiff, and most natural feel.
PASM only: Adjustable. In between steel and PASM + Air. Slightly less floaty than PASM + Air.
PASM + Air: Adjustable. Leans on the softer side, slightly less stiff. Choice for those who value comfort above all but it's really not easy to notice for most people.

Porsche does it so good that the differences are way subtle.
You really have to drive it a bit to get to know them. Perhaps that's genius marketing.

Last edited by sexfiend; 01-20-2021 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:47 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,717 Likes on 4,271 Posts

Originally Posted by sexfiend
Why do you think air suspension is BETTER or NOT? It's an OPTION. Each has it's purpose. That's the beauty of it:

PASM only: Adjustable. In between steel and PASM + Air. Slightly less floaty than PASM + Air.
PASM + Air: Adjustable. Leans on the softer side, slightly less stiff. Choice for those who value comfort above all but it's really not easy to notice for most people.

You really have to drive it a bit to get to know them. Perhaps that's genius marketing.
Isn't PDCC available on the Macan as well, and maybe only with the Air suspension & PASM? If so, that changes the dynamics of the third choice or adds a 4th one, as PDCC eliminates any lean or softness of the air suspension, making that combo the most comfortable, most adjustable, and probably the best performing.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:53 PM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex K.
Always get as much power as you can afford.
This is spot on. If you can afford it without issue, go for the S. As for me I have zero shame in having bought a well optioned 2020 base model. In the real world some of us have budget constraints.
But if money is no option, by all means the S! It will be a little heavier, have worse gas mileage, but the acceleration above 70 will be noticeably better.
RobC4sX51 (07-29-2024)
Old 02-01-2021, 01:12 PM
Kats
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought the base, would rather have the S, but the deal was too good to pass up (fully loaded, like fully, too expensive for a base and sat on the lot waaay too long). But I will say this (after plenty of experience with the S), The base is quite fun to drive in the city and I'm in sport mode all the time - quite nimble for it's size, lighter in the front end I guess. The S model I found myself in normal mode (which is just as lame as normal mode on the base) because sport mode in medium traffic was mostly a waste and bad on gas mileage. Which brings me to another point. The notion that the fuel consumption between the two models are similar is quite misleading. Yes in normal mode they are similar, but in sport mode - uh uh. I run the base in sport mode (always) and get between 9 - 10 l/100 (the odd day 11 l/100). On the S I was getting 14 l/100 for sure in sport mode. You will miss the power sometimes, the S feels a little more like a muscle car and for those times you want to step on it - you feel like your driving something pretty cool. The base does have it's merits and I quite enjoy it too - just love the package. Sometimes I jones for a bigger engine, but whatever. I decided to go for a 992 this year (my wife will get the macan) because I really fell in love with the brand after buying the Macan (pdk, the handling, fit and finish). Anyhow, my first post here (hello!), so I thought I'd pass on my personal experience on something I actually know about. Off to the 992 forum to learn a few things...
The following 3 users liked this post by Kats:
ducktails (02-03-2021), T3X4S (02-01-2021), tk-porsche (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 02:59 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Kats
I bought the base, would rather have the S, but the deal was too good to pass up (fully loaded, like fully, too expensive for a base and sat on the lot waaay too long). But I will say this (after plenty of experience with the S), The base is quite fun to drive in the city and I'm in sport mode all the time - quite nimble for it's size, lighter in the front end I guess. The S model I found myself in normal mode (which is just as lame as normal mode on the base) because sport mode in medium traffic was mostly a waste and bad on gas mileage. Which brings me to another point. The notion that the fuel consumption between the two models are similar is quite misleading. Yes in normal mode they are similar, but in sport mode - uh uh. I run the base in sport mode (always) and get between 9 - 10 l/100 (the odd day 11 l/100). On the S I was getting 14 l/100 for sure in sport mode. You will miss the power sometimes, the S feels a little more like a muscle car and for those times you want to step on it - you feel like your driving something pretty cool. The base does have it's merits and I quite enjoy it too - just love the package. Sometimes I jones for a bigger engine, but whatever. I decided to go for a 992 this year (my wife will get the macan) because I really fell in love with the brand after buying the Macan (pdk, the handling, fit and finish). Anyhow, my first post here (hello!), so I thought I'd pass on my personal experience on something I actually know about. Off to the 992 forum to learn a few things...
I have been quite content with the base and noraally drive in the "standard" mode which provides plenty of power when needed, even when passing at high speeds. On the highway I can get up to 30 - 31 mpg which is great and allows for a very desirable 500+ miles highway range. Sure, you don't get the nice sound of the 6-banger, but the CPO I got was also very loaded and good deal with the extended warranty (it was a loaner vehicle, which made it possible to extend the warranty 6 months through some Porsche magic having to do with how it was registered). I have no regrets with the base model; it fulfills its purpose just fine.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:49 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Holy cow, the more I read the more I wonder if I should just drop the cash/trades on a Cayenne coupe instead of the Macan. -OR- Panamera Sport Turismo GTS
Certainly the 2.0 would not satisfy my need for speed.

Last edited by MrMarco; 02-03-2021 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:55 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mvmojo
Well, drive a base Macan and compare it to a Ford Escape. Handling in the Ford isn't even close!
My GF drives the escape on 20's. It's cute but no track star. I would rather have a KIA
Old 02-11-2021, 10:29 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by sexfiend

I had a '17 Macan S with the steel suspension and later an '18 Macan Turbo with PASM/AS. I wouldn't call the PASM/AS combo floaty, but in "comfort" mode it isn't exceptionally firm. With the chassis in sport+, however, PASM/AS is firmer and better controlled, especially under hard braking (the Macan S would really dive under hard braking). The reason we bought the second Macan was that after a long road trip during which my wife spent a couple thousand miles behind the wheel of our 911, she drove the Macan (her DD) and complained about how "squishy" it felt. (Yeah, driving a 911 with SPASM will make most other cars feel that way, but she did have a point.) We both test drove the Macan Turbo and immediately decided to swap. +1 for the PASM/AS suspension on the Macan. No offense to the Macan owners who are happy without PASM/AS (we were quite happy with the Macan S and it's still a great car) but PASM/AS is next level.
Liste-Renn (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 10:53 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,391 Likes on 641 Posts

sexfiend's "Floaty" analysis is seriously flawed.

I have driven all three versions on the first generation Macan, and the steel version on a 2021 loaner base model.
With A/S, in comfort mode, road imperfections and bumps are smoothed out.
Floaty? Never felt that in PASM comfort mode.
In PASM SPORT or SPORT PLUS shock settings, further customization is possible according to road condition.

The A/S allows for ride height adjustment, and replaces steel springs with air filled dampers- and is not available independent of PASM.
PASM is active dynamic shock adjustment with the two settings of firmness mentioned above.
No way a static passive system outperforms a reactive, electrically adjustable suspension system, all else being equal.
The following 3 users liked this post by Liste-Renn:
2021Macan (02-12-2021), mdkappy (02-11-2021), Terry Adams (02-12-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 10:12 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Isn't PDCC available on the Macan as well, and maybe only with the Air suspension & PASM? If so, that changes the dynamics of the third choice or adds a 4th one, as PDCC eliminates any lean or softness of the air suspension, making that combo the most comfortable, most adjustable, and probably the best performing.
Alas, there’s no PDCC option for any Macan model.
Old 02-18-2024, 01:18 AM
krivosikrene
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
As I mentioned previously, avoid the 4 cylinder 2.0 Turbo motor. It has major carbon build up issues, timing chain issues, and intake manifold issues - https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/au...-problems.html
But.... Macan havent engine gen 1 and 2, but Macan have gen 3 EA888.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:53 AM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

260 German horses reined to a 7 speed dual clutch gearbox with all wheel drive. If you need more than that, buy a 911.

Seriously the Macan is a daily driver, long road trip, grocery getter with typical Porsche reliability. It will probably never go off road. Consider your needs.

I did, and bought the 4.
The following 2 users liked this post by ehanauer:
Marv (03-02-2024), WillinEvergreen (02-19-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 01:04 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 213 Posts

‘22 Macan GTS came with AS. Our X7 had AS as well as the different variants of Mercedes G/GL 3 row full size SUVs that we’ve owned. I’m in the camp of “I can’t really notice the difference” and fail to feel/see the significance of having it vs. not. Roads here are pretty nice, I guess. I like it in our GTS since the height can be lowered without going “aftermarket”. If I had the option of not paying for it, I wouldn’t. Besides, it’s one more thing that can break. Airmatics on MBs and the Magnetic ride on Audis were notorious for failing. In regards to the engine, the 2.0 is not my cup of tea; it’s too lethargic for my taste but plenty of people are perfectly fine with it. To each his own.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 02-26-2024 at 01:19 AM.

Quick Reply: info on macan, which one to get?