Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Leather Interior vs Standard Interior

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 04:00 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,355 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Yes, it' worth it. We even went to the Club Leather which is much nicer. The standard leather is a basic finished leather in a Porsche, the Club leather moves it up to Semi-Aniline and you can see and feel that difference.

Biue jeans will dye transfer, but you can pre-soak them in Vinegar when new that will mitigate that effect.

Staining on ALL leathers can be avoided if you clean and condition properly.

I've been selling leather upholstery for thirty-five years now, its my business.
The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
MrMarco (02-07-2021), Terry Adams (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 04:27 PM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Fang911
...notice the color in a I-color diamond or the lower resolution of a Bose stereo...
HA Sadly disappointed by the Bose. Sounds just like the Bose system in the Cadillac I traded in. Not a total letdown, but certainly "lower resolution." Additionally I don't care for the color of the Leather Package, however it's perfect for not showing the dirt/barf from my kids and dog, so...
Old 02-08-2021, 09:32 AM
MAPC
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Never had blue jean problems

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I have avoided wearing blue jeans as I read that denim not good for nice leather. Don't know if true.
I had a Boxster S with Agate/Pebble interior, where the seats were Pebble (also known as off-white!). I had no problems.....and it looked great with my Aqua Blue exterior.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:36 AM
MAPC
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes---to me the leather dashboard and tops of the doors are HUGE improvements. My GTS, as part of the GTS package, includes the leather dashboard (with contrast stitching). I wish it also had leather (and stitching) at top of the doors but I didn't think the upgrade was worth it since it already had the leather dashboard.

If I was going to not get leather, I'd opt for Black interior as it looks 'less cheap' than the others when not in leather.....but that is just one man's opinion.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:02 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

Ladies' jeans with metal rivets on the back pockets can ruin leather seating. Also, belts with metal designs on the backsides can do likewise. My wife knows not to wear items like these in the Porsches.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:34 PM
Bmarques
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what do you guys use to condition / clean leather and how often to avoid cracks?
Old 02-09-2021, 04:49 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 932 Likes on 563 Posts

No affiliation, except used it last 30 years or so.

http://www.leatherique.com/
Old 02-10-2021, 05:08 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sonicworld
On the macanforums.co.uk someone suggested this trick to determine exactly where leather is applied when comparing standard interior, partial leather or full leather. On the configurator select "Black/Garnet Red" under the various leather options. In each step wherever red is applied is leather. I think the only areas not illustrated in this exercise are the added leather/stitching that runs along the top of the dash when selecting "partial leather" plus each door when selecting "full leather". Can anyone here confirm if this trick is accurate?
I tried this in the configurator on a GTS. When switching between a two-tone interior with Standard w/Leather Package vs. Leather Interior/Leather Seats, the only section that changes color is the door panel segment below the handle, plus the door top loses the stitching. The armrest still retains the stitching in both selections. I assume the section below the dash (below steering wheel, glove compartment) is plastic in both cases? So it looks like the only difference might be you lose the leather door top in the Standard Interior?
Old 02-10-2021, 05:21 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,709 Likes on 4,264 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett - 1996 C4
I tried this in the configurator on a GTS. When switching between a two-tone interior with Standard w/Leather Package vs. Leather Interior/Leather Seats, the only section that changes color is the door panel segment below the handle, plus the door top loses the stitching. The armrest still retains the stitching in both selections. I assume the section below the dash (below steering wheel, glove compartment) is plastic in both cases? So it looks like the only difference might be you lose the leather door top in the Standard Interior?
Historically on other models, the front surface of the dashboard changes to leather with stitching for full leather and is vinyl or plastic without it. Not sure if that applies to the macan as well. On a 997, the side panels to the center console too.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:34 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 117 Posts

Hmmm, sounds like you tried it with the Black/Mojave Beige which will not fully illustrate the additional leather. Try it with Black/Garnet Red and you will see a lot more changes. No one confirmed if the trick is accurate but after finding this video it seems it is...

Old 02-10-2021, 08:26 PM
Victor C3
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 52 Posts

Just to throw another opinion out there...

I have the base/standard black interior. To me, it looks and feels just fine and it doesn’t look cheap at all.

I’m sure the full leather option is nice, but in my opinion it isn’t necessary. For my next Porsche purchase, I’m going to stick with the base/standard black interior.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:21 AM
smohr33
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts

On my full leather (GTS package), the whole dash is leather, including the section below the dash and glove compartment, you can see the stitching on the corner in the second photo below.

The piece around the center console buttons and the entire upper door to the armrest are leather, and the lower doors are covered in a thicker grain leather, they are not plastic. The only plastic is the cupholder surround piece and the piece below that. Everything else is covered in leather.

The following users liked this post:
Terry Adams (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 11:46 AM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks, that's very helpful.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:33 PM
segascott
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Full leather wasn't on our list of must-have options for our CPO Macan S, but the car we found that our desired options also came with the $4900-at-the-time Espresso Natural Leather option.

We love it, but it definitely requires more care. We had a Q5 before that was our workhorse, we'd throw long wood pieces or furniture bits in the cabin without much worry. But now in our Macan we do it with blankets and foam because every surface appears to be coated with easily-scratched leather. That being said, it feels much more luxurious than our old Q5, which was a Prestige model as well.

I'm in the slow process of trying to coat all leather surfaces with Gyeon Leathershield (their 'ceramic' leather coating) in the hopes of giving it a little more protection from stains/chemicals/beverages and whatnot.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:27 PM
jwagman99
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Rough options on the Macan:

standard interior: leather or alcantera/leather seat surfaces (depending seat choice), plastic dash, plastic door panels
partial leather: leather seat surfaces, leather dash with stitching
Full leather: leather seat surfaces, dash, door tops, panels, etc. you can extend this with additional leather and stitching with options

We have the partial leather in red/black 2 tone. I think the full leather is nicer, but, I didn't like all the red and preferred the red/black contrast of the partial leather. Main thing I'd have liked is leather door tops/stitching to match the dash

Anyway, Driven quite a few macan loaners with the fabric seat centers and don't like them.

I just posted my similar scenario. I just received my 2022 GTS with lack leather with chalk stitching. I forgot to choose the full leather! I agree that the door tops would look better to match the dash. h well, I saved $2600

Quick Reply: Leather Interior vs Standard Interior