Macan 2014-Current

H&R Sport Springs questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 02:20 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Default H&R Sport Springs questions

hi folks - i got a set of these for our macan. i am in the sf bay area. 3 questions:

1) should i get these instead?
2) any recommended shops in the sf bay area (preferably peninsula/south bay) that can install whatever springs i go with?
3) how much should the installation cost, roughly? i got a pretty hefty quote (8-10 hours of labor) from one particular shop - doesn't seem right; input appreciated.

thx.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:42 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

I can't comment on your Question #1 since we have the same H&R springs that you purchased and really like them. If you really feel the need for the adjustables, then by all means, "spring for them" (pun intended). While the installation is somewhat involved, 8 to 10 hours is on the high side. Just be sure to have the shop torque all fasteners only after the full weight of the vehicle is on the springs. I'd try to find a shop that's already done a few. Why have them learn on your dime, right? Since labor rates vary by geography, I can't answer that one either.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:30 AM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
I can't comment on your Question #1 since we have the same H&R springs that you purchased and really like them. If you really feel the need for the adjustables, then by all means, "spring for them" (pun intended). While the installation is somewhat involved, 8 to 10 hours is on the high side. Just be sure to have the shop torque all fasteners only after the full weight of the vehicle is on the springs. I'd try to find a shop that's already done a few. Why have them learn on your dime, right? Since labor rates vary by geography, I can't answer that one either.
thx @NC TRACKRAT

do you have pictures of your car with these springs? i have 21" wheels - i assume the 1.5" lowering these springs achieve will make for a nice look (i couldn't tell from the pics posted at flat 6 motorsports).

thx for your other input as well! thx.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:50 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Just realized that I have no pics of the Macan since the springs were installed so I went down to the garage and took this one. Not the best but shows the subtle effect that the vehicle is not at "nose-bleed" height.

Old 01-03-2021, 02:29 AM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Just realized that I have no pics of the Macan since the springs were installed so I went down to the garage and took this one. Not the best but shows the subtle effect that the vehicle is not at "nose-bleed" height.
got 21" wheels and h&r springs installed on our 2015 macan turbo. pictures attached. an improvement (in looks) compared to the stock setup (20" wheels + factory springs) with no impact on ride as far as we can tell. the person that installed the spring told me he expects the springs to "settle a bit" over the course of a couple of weeks so that the final look is likely to be lower than what's shown in the pictures.

The following users liked this post:
NC TRACKRAT (01-03-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 01:21 PM
gkellys
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

My INDY charged me $600 to install them. Said one or two of them took some extra effort so I was glad I didn’t get my knuckles in it.
BTW, I am VERY happy with the ride and the looks.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:25 PM
Arun Rao
Instructor

Originally Posted by gkellys
My INDY charged me $600 to install them. Said one or two of them took some extra effort so I was glad I didn’t get my knuckles in it.
BTW, I am VERY happy with the ride and the looks.
yes, very happy with the ride and looks as well!

i paid $300 to get these installed (i got quotes ranging from $1000 to $1600 - so happy i was able to get them installed for such a reasonable price). PM me if you would like to get my installer's contact info.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:31 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,129 Likes on 1,462 Posts

You can generally get away with stock alignments on spring drops of 1" or less. If you are going more than an inch in lowering, you should get a 4 wheel alignment. Your vehicle will handle better and you won't chew up the inside of your tires.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:08 PM
wnelms

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a set from Flat6. Did you (or anyone else listening) have to perform extensive camber adjustments to compensate for the lower ride height? The product description stays the drop is approximately 1.5"

Many many years ago I lowered my Acura Legend GS while in college and my tires paid the price.

Cannot wait to install and post a few photos!
Old 01-09-2021, 08:31 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I had our alignment checked after the spring installation and the well-respected shop I used said that there was no need for adjustment. There's been no adverse tire wear.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:57 PM
wnelms

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear... Thanks!

Quick Reply: H&R Sport Springs questions