Macan 2014-Current

Water in the tail lights.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 06:05 PM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Water in the tail lights.

2020 Macan here with water in the taillights which caused the blinker to fail. Dealership is replacing it tomorrow under warranty, so there's a plan to get it resolved. But a few questions:
1) Is this common? Are lots of Macan owners seeing this?
2) Any idea what's causing this? I live in Denver, Colorado which if you haven't been here is a desert. It's incredibly dry here, so other than the car wash I can't imagine where this water is coming from.
3) If it happens again (out of warranty), is this something that can be fixed DIY?

Thanks!
James
Denver, CO

Old 12-03-2020, 06:13 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

I'm assuming the new taillights are like the previous generation cars, the lights are vented. This is normal, especially after washing the car. the issue will resolve it's self if you leave the car in the sun or run the lights. Since the dealer is replacing the lights they maybe redesigned and no longer vented.

here's some previous threads,

This thread is a renlister with a 2019 (2nd generation) with the issue https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...taillight.html
Old 12-03-2020, 06:15 PM
JDailey
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

I understand that they're vented. The side lights (not on the tailgate) occasionally get moisture and it then evaporates. But the light bar is a different story. It's been over a month living in the desert and they're still full of moisture. Is it a design flaw? I guess I'll find out if it happens again after it's replaced...
Old 12-03-2020, 07:45 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by JDailey
I understand that they're vented. The side lights (not on the tailgate) occasionally get moisture and it then evaporates. But the light bar is a different story. It's been over a month living in the desert and they're still full of moisture. Is it a design flaw? I guess I'll find out if it happens again after it's replaced...
Yeah that doesn’t look like the typical minor fogging that can occur after a wash and disappears pretty quickly. Good move to have the dealer replace that one.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,452 Likes on 4,113 Posts

All Porsches long tailgate and decklid lights and reflectors seem to do this - happens on the AWD 911s that have a full width decklid reflector too. There are 2 solutions, but they have to be done before the new light is installed. Either take clear silicone and run a very thin seal around the edge of the complete assembly so the plastic pieces can't separate and allow the moistirr to get in. Or, take it to a vinyl shap and have them clear bra it and make sure they wrap the plastic all the way around and terminate it on the back side.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:09 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 908 Likes on 546 Posts

Perhaps a leak in the rear window washer system? OP did say lives in a dry area.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:40 AM
pop.tremuloides
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JDailey
2020 Macan here with water in the taillights which caused the blinker to fail. Dealership is replacing it tomorrow under warranty, so there's a plan to get it resolved. But a few questions:
1) Is this common? Are lots of Macan owners seeing this?
2) Any idea what's causing this? I live in Denver, Colorado which if you haven't been here is a desert. It's incredibly dry here, so other than the car wash I can't imagine where this water is coming from.
3) If it happens again (out of warranty), is this something that can be fixed DIY?

Thanks!
James
Denver, CO
We can only comment on our 2017 Macan S.

Not ONCE have we seen anything like what you are showing.

Personally I would bring this to the attention of your service/sales person.

Quick Reply: Water in the tail lights.