Notices
Macan 2014-Current
View Poll Results: How do you rate your WIRED (not wireless) CarPlay in the Macan?
5 - Excellent
15.52%
4 - Very Good
32.76%
3 - Good
29.31%
2 - Not Very Good
8.62%
1 - Pretty Bad
10.34%
0 - Almost Unusable
3.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Rate your satisfaction for WIRED (not wireless) CarPlay in the Macan

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 12:17 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 764 Likes on 462 Posts
Default Poll: Rate your satisfaction for WIRED (not wireless) CarPlay in the Macan

Please vote to rate your satisfaction level with WIRED (only) CarPlay in the Macan. We can do a separate poll for wireless, this poll is for WIRED only. I won't vote or comment initially so I don't bias the poll, but please vote with your satisfaction level (and post rationale for your rating if you care to).

Old 09-18-2020, 07:54 PM
peterp
Drifting

My main issue with it is the disconnects. If the phone is moved and the lightning cable has any interruption for even a nanosecond, CarPlay disconnects, then it often won't reconnect until I shut off the car and restart.

The following users liked this post:
Mark in Baltimore (02-02-2021)
Old 09-18-2020, 11:43 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
My main issue with it is the disconnects. If the phone is moved and the lightning cable has any interruption for even a nanosecond, CarPlay disconnects, then it often won't reconnect until I shut off the car and restart.
Should not disconnect when you move the phone. I would try another cable and clean out the lighting connector on the phone.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:53 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by Todd B
Should not disconnect when you move the phone. I would try another cable and clean out the lighting connector on the phone.
I know the shouldn't disconnect, and I've experienced it working fine when I put in a brand new cable and had the iPhone port cleaned during service. But now, a few months later, I Lightning port is at least a little bit dirty again and it isn't unusual for it to disconnect when somebody bumps the phone. The cable is very new. I've tried cleaning the Lightning port myself without luck -- it took the guy at the Apple store a good 10 minutes to pull out all the junk, but I've not been able to duplicate that process.

It wouldn't be bad if CarPlay just suspended during a brief disconnect, but it just aborts literally the nanosecond it disconnects, then I unplug the phone -- wait several seconds, then plug it in again, and about half the time CarPlay will start back up, the other half the phone does start charging (meaning Lighning connected), but CarPlay will not start back up (unless I shut off the car and turn it back on again). This makes it unusable for me.

Even when it's working, it seems like every day or two I need to click "Do not ask me again" when it asks if CarPlay should start up. It's the same phone, it should remember it, but it frequently forgets the phone and asks me again.

Last edited by peterp; 09-19-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:59 PM
peterp
Drifting

Besides the connection issue, I hate that the interface (unless I'm missing something) makes it impossible to search for an artist on Spotify for example. I think they do that so the driver isn't typing while driving, but I have a passenger type all the time and inability to search makes spotify useless to me. Usually my son will grab the phone and type in the search on the phone, but that takes it out of CarPlay.

I thought CarPlay would be a dream to use, but I actually hate it and I detest that I have to plug it in to use it. Waze is nice on the screen -- I LOVE THAT (once they started allowing Waze to work) -- but that's about it. I had a basic Bluetooth interface on our Q5 that the Macan replaced, and I honestly miss the simplicity of that "leave your phone in your pocket" simplicity.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:28 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

I know the shouldn't disconnect, and I've experienced it working fine when I put in a brand new cable and had the iPhone port cleaned during service. But now, a few months later, I Lightning port is at least a little bit dirty again and it isn't unusual for it to disconnect when somebody bumps the phone. The cable is very new. I've tried cleaning the Lightning port myself without luck -- it took the guy at the Apple store a good 10 minutes to pull out all the junk, but I've not been able to duplicate that process.

It wouldn't be bad if CarPlay just suspended during a brief disconnect, but it just aborts literally the nanosecond it disconnects, then I unplug the phone -- wait several seconds, then plug it in again, and about half the time CarPlay will start back up, the other half the phone does start charging (meaning Lighning connected), but CarPlay will not start back up (unless I shut off the car and turn it back on again). This makes it unusable for me.

Even when it's working, it seems like every day or two I need to click "Do not ask me again" when it asks if CarPlay should start up. It's the same phone, it should remember it, but it frequently forgets the phone and asks me again.
So what phone model do you have? I would have to go back and dig, but I think the iPhone 8 (maybe) had an issue where the lighting connector would break internally at the connection, sounded like the solder joint would go bad. Something like that would cause an issue. Since IOS 13 you can use the phone and CarPlay at the same time and CarPlay does not kick out.

The interface limiting, but each new IOS release, Apple is at least making tweaks. I like the fact it's the same interface regardless of what vehicle I'm in, Ford or Porsche (in our house).

peterp (09-19-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 08:30 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

I thought CarPlay would be a dream to use, but I actually hate it and I detest that I have to plug it in to use it. Waze is nice on the screen -- I LOVE THAT (once they started allowing Waze to work) -- but that's about it. I had a basic Bluetooth interface on our Q5 that the Macan replaced, and I honestly miss the simplicity of that "leave your phone in your pocket" simplicity.

Yea, I use Waze all the time. But like you I do wish my vehicles had the WiFi CarPlay. The ideal setup would be WiFi CarPlay along with a charging pad/location for the phone (which some manufactures are now doing in newer vehicles).
peterp (09-19-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 11:18 PM
lefizzet
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Never use carplay. I think the interface and usability especially while driving is terrible. I much prefer bluetooth with my phone in a holder.
peterp (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 02:32 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Love Car Play. Get in the car, plug phone (11Pro) in, start car and works great for me. Communicating with text messages is so easy.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:41 PM
peterp
Drifting

So what phone model do you have? I would have to go back and dig, but I think the iPhone 8 (maybe) had an issue where the lighting connector would break internally at the connection, sounded like the solder joint would go bad. Something like that would cause an issue.
I still have my iPhone 6. I actually use the headphone jack enough that I don't want a newer iPhone. I did get two iPhone 8+'s when they first came out, but the phone was so heavy I hated it and got rid of mine. My wife still has the 8+, and her connection isn't perfect either.

Since IOS 13 you can use the phone and CarPlay at the same time and CarPlay does not kick out.
That's good to know -- I'm limited to the last version of 12 on my phone, but good to know that is fixed.

The interface limiting, but each new IOS release, Apple is at least making tweaks. I like the fact it's the same interface regardless of what vehicle I'm in, Ford or Porsche (in our house).
If it was wireless, I'd be happier -- as is, I liked my old stupid Bluetooth on the Q5 better. When I'm hopping in and out of the car running errands, plugging and unplugging just to keep listening to Spotify or Pandora is a major hassle and feels like I'm back in 2005. I don't know why apple forced wireless for headphones (for no valid reason at all) and then made CarPlay wired. I'm not an Apple hater, -- our whole house is Apple (computers/phones/ipads) -- but, post Jobs, it's practically the dumbest company I know.

Last edited by peterp; 09-20-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Noah Fect (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 07:00 PM
peterp
Drifting

Resurrecting my old thread on wired CarPlay because I think I found a solution. After having a loaner with wireless CarPlay, I'm very happy with that, so I decided to look for a wireless CarPlay adapter. There seem to be a few different options, but from a brief search, the "cplay2air" seems to be the best (or at least one of the better options) -> https://cplay2air.com/?gclid=EAIaIQo...SAAEgId5PD_BwE

I will be ordering this and try it on my 2018 Macan wired CarPlay when it gets back from service. If anybody else hates the "wired" aspect of CarPlay as much as I do, this might be a good option. If anybody has used this adapter, or any other wireless CarPlay adapter, would be great to hear your feedback.

Last edited by peterp; 01-31-2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:41 PM
simaservis1108
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

It will work perfectly,that adapter I always recommend after I finish activation of Carplay.
peterp (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 09:46 PM
runbuh
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

Besides the connection issue, I hate that the interface (unless I'm missing something) makes it impossible to search for an artist on Spotify for example. I think they do that so the driver isn't typing while driving, but I have a passenger type all the time and inability to search makes spotify useless to me. Usually my son will grab the phone and type in the search on the phone, but that takes it out of CarPlay.

Can you just use Bluetooth in your Macan to return to that simplicity?
Old 02-01-2021, 10:04 AM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

How do you use CPlay2Air and also charge your phone at the same time? Will a USB hub work in the console USB port?
Old 02-01-2021, 10:12 AM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by mvmojo
How do you use CPlay2Air and also charge your phone at the same time? Will a USB hub work in the console USB port?
I THINK (don’t have it yet, but that’s what I gather from reading) that Car2Play has a USB that you can plug into for charging, so it is inserted between the phone and the Porsche USB port.

Hopefully somebody who has one will confirm or correct the above.

Quick Reply: Poll: Rate your satisfaction for WIRED (not wireless) CarPlay in the Macan