Notices
Macan 2014-Current
View Poll Results: How do you rate your WIRED (not wireless) CarPlay in the Macan?
5 - Excellent
15.52%
4 - Very Good
32.76%
3 - Good
29.31%
2 - Not Very Good
8.62%
1 - Pretty Bad
10.34%
0 - Almost Unusable
3.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Rate your satisfaction for WIRED (not wireless) CarPlay in the Macan

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 04:21 AM
rainer
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
I THINK (don’t have it yet, but that’s what I gather from reading) that Car2Play has a USB that you can plug into for charging, so it is inserted between the phone and the Porsche USB port.

Hopefully somebody who has one will confirm or correct the above.
It does have an outlet where you can plug in a USB cable for charging. However, the moment you plug init switches over from wireless to wired CarPlay (which actually does not matter since it switches over seamless).

I had the issue initially that wireless did not connect when a USB cable was plugged in, but that can be fixed with the latest FW update.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:38 PM
figure1a
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

I would vote for wireless CarPlay with this for power:

https://nine-volt.com/collections/al...41997096878249
Old 09-18-2022, 06:04 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,263 Likes on 1,865 Posts

For a 2017 that originally cost $120k, it's ridiculous that I have to plug my phone in every time and half the time I have to do it twice because it doesn't connect properly. Embarrassing for Porsche.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:42 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 780 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
For a 2017 that originally cost $120k, it's ridiculous that I have to plug my phone in every time and half the time I have to do it twice because it doesn't connect properly. Embarrassing for Porsche.
Agreed regarding wired -- it's really a joke/inconvenience when you are running errands and need to take the phone out, plug it in, wait for it connect, each time. It's made far worse by the fact that wired is implemented in the Porsche so that if the iPhone disconnects for even a nano-second over a bump, CarPlay stops working and is very difficult to reconnect to (not sure if that's Porsche's or Apple's design issue). With my older iPhone, bumps would have it disconnect often over bumps no matter what cable I used.

It's definitely worth it to get a Cplay2Air device (https://cplay2air.com/products/cplay...SABEgLohvD_BwE) mentioned earlier in the thread. It looks like there are some lookalike products on Amazon for $89 (vs $119) if you search for Cplay2Air -- they may work well also , but I have no experience with the lookalikes. If you are frustrated with wired, the Cplay2Air is life-changing in my experience.
The following users liked this post:
Wilder (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 07:08 PM
figure1a
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Agreed regarding wired -- it's really a joke/inconvenience when you are running errands and need to take the phone out, plug it in, wait for it connect, each time. It's made far worse by the fact that wired is implemented in the Porsche so that if the iPhone disconnects for even a nano-second over a bump, CarPlay stops working and is very difficult to reconnect to (not sure if that's Porsche's or Apple's design issue). With my older iPhone, bumps would have it disconnect often over bumps no matter what cable I used.
In Porsche's defense. back in 2017 wireless CarPlay was not offered by Apple (only wired). I don't think it came out until 2018 or 2019.
The following 2 users liked this post by figure1a:
peterp (09-18-2022), Wilder (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 07:28 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by figure1a
In Porsche's defense. back in 2017 wireless CarPlay was not offered by Apple (only wired). I don't think it came out until 2018 or 2019.
Good to know that. I could have lived with wired if it had tolerance for nanosecond disconnections, but it drove me nuts on my older iPhone -- and not sure if that zero tolerance is Apple or Porsche's fault.

It doesn't seem like the wireless part is hard to implement -- so it seems crazy that Apple removed the wired headphone option from their phones, but (initially)( required wired for CarPlay -- but it is what it is.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:07 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

It's definitely worth it to get a Cplay2Air device (https://cplay2air.com/products/cplay...SABEgLohvD_BwE) mentioned earlier in the thread. It looks like there are some lookalike products on Amazon for $89 (vs $119) if you search for Cplay2Air -- they may work well also , but I have no experience with the lookalikes. If you are frustrated with wired, the Cplay2Air is life-changing in my experience.
I got one right after buying the Macan. Worked terrible for me. Now it sits collecting dust.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:07 PM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

Let's face it, Porsche at great at automotive engineering and really sucks at automotive technology! I bought this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 last May for my 2018 Macan GTS. It's worked great with my iPhone 12 Pro for CarPlay (and the price has come down since I bought it). I get in the car (with the phone in my pocket) and it connects automatically. Couldn't be better.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:39 PM
peterp
Drifting

I got one right after buying the Macan. Worked terrible for me. Now it sits collecting dust.
Which adapter and iPhone/IOS version do you have? I'm pretty sure we have a 100% success rate in this thread with the Cplay2Air. When I first got Cplay2Air I still had a iPhone 6 limited to a very old version of IOS (I really needed the headphone jack) and it sometimes would not connect -- even then it worked most of the time. When I got a new iPhone that would run the current IOS 14/15, there were no issues.

Life is so much better wireless, you might want to give it another try. You're probably running a much different version of IOS on your phone now, so it might just work. Also, Cplay2Air will email you a firmware update if open a trouble ticket with them.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:10 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Which adapter and iPhone/IOS version do you have? I'm pretty sure we have a 100% success rate in this thread with the Cplay2Air. When I first got Cplay2Air I still had a iPhone 6 limited to a very old version of IOS (I really needed the headphone jack) and it sometimes would not connect -- even then it worked most of the time. When I got a new iPhone that would run the current IOS 14/15, there were no issues.

Life is so much better wireless, you might want to give it another try. You're probably running a much different version of IOS on your phone now, so it might just work. Also, Cplay2Air will email you a firmware update if open a trouble ticket with them.
Mine is a Carlikit. I recall some people were using it with great success but not me. However, when I bought it I was on an XS and now I'm on a 13 so maybe I'll give it another go. Thank you for reminding me. It would be so much better to be wireless. And if it doesn't work, I may give Cplay2Air a go. Cheers.
The following users liked this post:
peterp (09-19-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Snow000
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a Carlikit. I recall some people were using it with great success but not me. However, when I bought it I was on an XS and now I'm on a 13 so maybe I'll give it another go. Thank you for reminding me. It would be so much better to be wireless. And if it doesn't work, I may give Cplay2Air a go. Cheers.
To anyone interested a CarPlay retrofit, I spent a lot of time researching the different models, and I would highly recommend the carlinkit version. There is very little information about the differences between the models, so I wanted to share my experiences.

The carlinkit version offers wireless CarPlay and a self contained control unit. It is sold on several different platforms, but I purchased mine from Carlinkit 4.0. The seller was very responsive, responding within 24hrs to all of my questions. It’s important to know that for most models you need the full kit, not the cheaper usb dongle.
Anyway, sorry for the long post, but hopefully this helps Macan owners looking for a CarPlay retrofit.

Quick Reply: Poll: Rate your satisfaction for WIRED (not wireless) CarPlay in the Macan