Notices
Macan 2014-Current

2016 Macan Backup Camera installed backward?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2020 | 11:39 PM
Nctuan03
4th Gear

Default 2016 Macan Backup Camera installed backward?

One of the tech from Porches told me that the backup camera is somehow installed backward. Does anyone have any experience with this issue in the past? Is it just simple as taking out the camera and reinstall to the correct position? Or it will need to be recalibrated as well? Please see the pictures I have below. Thanks for taking the time and read this post and I apologize if this issue has been addressed before. Can someone please send a picture of their backup camera when possible? I'm just curious to see what the differences are. As you can see in the pictures, I can't even see the car behind which is only 4 ft approx. away. I have a surround view option by the way.

Old 09-02-2020 | 12:06 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Looks like the zoom option in the PCM is enabled.
Old 09-02-2020 | 11:40 AM
PSEE
Pro

backward woulds mean that the lens faces the front of the vehicle - the images shown indicate the lens faces
rearward.

Did you mean to state upside down? If so, then reversing its current installation would point the camera skyward!

It looks to be simply slightly misadjusted. You can expect to see the license plate and your first photo looks pretty close
to a normal view - where are the guide lines though...?

Old 09-02-2020 | 01:37 PM
smohr33
Racer

Looks like it should be flipped 180 degrees.

Wouldn't be surprised if the car was hit in the rear and the body shop put the camera in upside down.
Old 09-02-2020 | 04:10 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Hard to tell how it’s mounted. Is it secured from the inside of the hatch, or is it simply a matter of popping off the face, flipping it around, and plugging it back in?
Old 09-02-2020 | 05:01 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OliverK68
Hard to tell how it’s mounted. Is it secured from the inside of the hatch, or is it simply a matter of popping off the face, flipping it around, and plugging it back in?
Camera is mounted tp the bumper and not the hatch. Might be able to reach up behind he bumper Nd unbolt but most likely would be easier to remove the bumper.
Old 09-02-2020 | 10:36 PM
Nctuan03
4th Gear

I'm sorry... I meant to say upside down. I can adjust the setting in the menu to show the guide lines, but the camera is still showing the same as the picture previously. I guess it should look like the picture below if the camera is in the correct position. I'm going to try to flip it and hopefully it will fix the issue I'm having. The vehicle was involved in a minor accident showing in the FRONT only based on the carfax. I wasn't awared that the car was hit in the rear prior to taking ownership of the vehicle. It would be nice if I can flip it without removing the bumper... we'll see. Thanks for all your help and I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 09-03-2020 | 11:29 AM
PSEE
Pro

Only the bumper cover would need to be removed to access the camera. It's kind of an involved task... First the rear fender liners
must be partially unbolted to access bumper cover Torx bolts... You'll need painter's tape to apply to the bumper cover where it abuts
the rear fenders... etc.

The view in the photo above is more correct. Only part of the license plate is visible.

Your camera seems to be out of adjustment rather than upside down. As I noted above, if you reverse the sharp downward angle (180 deg.)
you'll end up with a sharp upward angle pointing skyward...

whatever...
Old 09-03-2020 | 02:01 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This is a SOFTWARE issue not a hardware one. You should have an option to flip the picture in your set-up.

siberian

Quick Reply: 2016 Macan Backup Camera installed backward?