Macan 2014-Current

Tires, Battery and Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 06:46 PM
missmy993
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tires, Battery and Brakes

I just hit 60K miles on '16 S. I thought I would post my observations/experience with the 3 maintenance items in title.
1) Tires- had Pirelli Scorpion Verde (N rated) all around at 30K miles. At 60K the tires had 5/32 tread depth but the road noise was awful. For a bit I thought I had a bad front wheel bearing. I replaced all 4 tires with Pirelli Scorpion A/S Plus (not N rated). Way, way better on the road noise and they seem fine otherwise. My car has 20" tires and there is not a ton of choices. I did not save any money going this route but hopefully based on the reviews I will be happy with this A/S choice.
2) Battery- I noticed the charge on the battery at startup was 11.7 and while driving 14.2 for long periods. Using a load tester I got a readout saying "bad battery". I went to O Riley auto parts and found an almost exact match AGM battery. 95 vs 92 amp hours. The battery case looks like it came from the same mold and looks identical (or damn close). The battery is part # 49PLTJ. It fit in the battery compartment with no problem. Cost was around $200. I used a MaxiDiag MD808 Pro to do the battery registration. There are 4 fields the tool asks for: type of battery (AGM), amp hours (95), battery serial number which can be anything and Porsche part # which again can be anything. The last 2 items demand a certain number of characters but as long a the field is filled anything is OK, even spaces.
3) Brakes (silver calipers) - At 60K I still had 2-3 mm left before the wear sensor would have kicked in, perhaps 10-20K miles. I used the kit from FCP. The pad/rotor change is not hard. The only unusual part is that the rear emergency brake needs to be put in the service position to be able to push the pistons in. In my case I used the MD808 tool to set to service position. There are other ways to do it but the scan tool makes it easy. On the rear brakes the rotors can be removed without removing the pad carrier. It just takes a bit of wiggling. No need to buy the 4 bolts.
If all goes well, all I need in the next few years will be a few oil changes and PDK service at 80K.
Hope this helps as these services are coming due for our 5 year old cars.
The following 6 users liked this post by missmy993:
Llarry (08-28-2020), Mark in Baltimore (08-26-2020), Need4S (09-05-2020), OliverK68 (08-27-2020), pop.tremuloides (12-05-2020), T3X4S (08-25-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-03-2020, 06:43 PM
Fiat88
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I am curious on the difference between the two tires you mentioned: "Tires- had Pirelli Scorpion Verde (N rated) all around at 30K miles. At 60K the tires had 5/32 tread depth but the road noise was awful. For a bit I thought I had a bad front wheel bearing. I replaced all 4 tires with Pirelli Scorpion A/S Plus " .

My new MY20 Macan that I ordered has 20in Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires, I has hoping that teh factory would have .have put on Michelin's. I am not a big fan of Pirelli' as I have them on my 2010 MBZ E350 and I am my 2nd set already the car only has 49k miles in total.. so about 25k per set . Keep me poste dif you can on how you like the "Plus" series as I suspect my OEM tires wont last long
Old 09-03-2020, 11:08 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,355 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Here's a little trick to retract the parking brake when doing the rears, no scanner or computer needed.

Disconnect the wiring plug to the brake, it will have two prongs inside. Grab a spare 12v battery (I use a motorcycle one) and two jumper wires. Simply place the positive and negative jumper wires in the two prongs and the motor will run the emergency brake pads. If they go forward instead of retract, just reverse the wires. Simple, cheap and effective.
The following users liked this post:
Need4S (09-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Tires, Battery and Brakes