Macan 2014-Current

Commuting in the Macan

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 08:46 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Commuting in the Macan

Funny to be writing this almost 16 months after buying the car, but we've only managed to put 5,000 miles on our '18 Sport Edition since new. As circumstances have changed a bit with my commute, I am now driving about 100 miles a day (round trip) to lower Manhattan. I started using the Macan a bit regularly and it really is an impressive car. No need to go into a deep review, but the 14 way cooled seats and the air suspension make this car an incredible commuting machine. It handles the rough streets of NYC with ease and lacks any harshness or shock into the passenger compartment. The quiet ride and great handling keep things interesting. Then there is the power. Down low, plenty, really plenty. At higher speeds, you have to wait for it a bit to catch up, but it goes to your hearts desire. This car really shortens the ride, love it.
Edit: wanted to add that my other car is an '18 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi. Great car, comfy, but not as fun or as solid as the Macan.

Last edited by PJ Cayenne; 07-22-2020 at 09:00 AM. Reason: More info
Old 07-21-2020, 10:04 AM
tk-porsche
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Do you thing the air suspension on the Sport Edition makes enough of a difference that you can really feel it?
Old 07-21-2020, 09:15 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

I think so, it really absorbs road imperfections, almost like magic. You almost can't believe how few vibrations and how little shock makes it into the cabin. We had a Cayenne with steel springs and I think the Macan is more comfortable on bad roads. You also get the benefit of variable ride height. Lets hope it keeps working as well as it does.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:48 PM
Pat1202
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Had mine for almost 60 days - commute 35 miles roundtrip each day - love the driving experience! Coming from an E class, this is a much more enjoyable drive - fast, great handling and comfortable.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:55 PM
LILBENZ230
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat1202
Had mine for almost 60 days - commute 35 miles roundtrip each day - love the driving experience! Coming from an E class, this is a much more enjoyable drive - fast, great handling and comfortable.
We have a Macan and an E-class. Both are damn good in their own ways, but the Macan is definitely the better driver.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:03 PM
ImpliedConsent
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

My buddy has an '18 AMG C43. I know, not a "real" AMG, but that damn car is fast, loud and obnoxious -- I love it. However, whenever I ride with him, he has to approach the roads, like I approach them with my C7 Corvette: slow and observant of pot-holes, rough roads, manhole covers, etc...
Not so much in my Macan. So gnarly smooth. Eats roads hazards for lunch. I can drop my suspension, put it in the sportiest and it still eats potholes as snacks. I've had SUVs in the past - but most were truck-based and felt like trucks. This feels like a overfed sports car with power to boot that I can push that "off-road" button and my suspension is up 2" (I got rid of those Michelins). Talk about an offroad adventure!
Oh, and BTW, it can hit a 12sec 1/4 mile at 6100'.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:09 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
My buddy has an '18 AMG C43. I know, not a "real" AMG, but that damn car is fast, loud and obnoxious -- I love it. However, whenever I ride with him, he has to approach the roads, like I approach them with my C7 Corvette: slow and observant of pot-holes, rough roads, manhole covers, etc...
Not so much in my Macan. So gnarly smooth. Eats roads hazards for lunch. I can drop my suspension, put it in the sportiest and it still eats potholes as snacks. I've had SUVs in the past - but most were truck-based and felt like trucks. This feels like a overfed sports car with power to boot that I can push that "off-road" button and my suspension is up 2" (I got rid of those Michelins). Talk about an offroad adventure!
Oh, and BTW, it can hit a 12sec 1/4 mile at 6100'.
You must have a Turbo- I wish...what an amazing machine.
In my past, I had a '14 Merc E550 Cabriolet- complete torque monster, but Merc did a horrible job calibrating the 18" AMG wheels to the chassis. Completely unacceptable ride over anything remotely bumpy. I was embarrassed for them. Very happy to have dumped that car for my 911 with 20" wheels, and Porsche spent the time needed to match the wheels, tires and suspension. The 911 rides so much better than the Merc and Macan is just brilliant.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:29 PM
LILBENZ230
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
You must have a Turbo- I wish...what an amazing machine.
In my past, I had a '14 Merc E550 Cabriolet- complete torque monster, but Merc did a horrible job calibrating the 18" AMG wheels to the chassis. Completely unacceptable ride over anything remotely bumpy. I was embarrassed for them. Very happy to have dumped that car for my 911 with 20" wheels, and Porsche spent the time needed to match the wheels, tires and suspension. The 911 rides so much better than the Merc and Macan is just brilliant.
My E350 is a 2016 so same generation also wearing the 18” AMG rims. Maybe the sedans are different cause our E-class rides way better than the steel-springs Macan we bought. Not to say it’s bad, of course. I did have Benz cars in the past that were quite harsh, though.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:13 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
My E350 is a 2016 so same generation also wearing the 18” AMG rims. Maybe the sedans are different cause our E-class rides way better than the steel-springs Macan we bought. Not to say it’s bad, of course. I did have Benz cars in the past that were quite harsh, though.
Much to my surprise, the E550 Coupe and Cabriolet are based on the C-class of the day. Totally different animal. My dad had a few E-class sedans, they rode really well.

Quick Reply: Commuting in the Macan