Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Macan Engine Feedback Requested

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 09:54 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

142,000 miles well out of warranty. I keep most of my cars forever. The only way out of my house is a tree.

So my experience so far.

Wheel bearing $800

Serpentine belt. $1200

Some turbo seal $400

Seat sensor went bad. Dealer wants $2600 to fix

Just developed timing cover leak (I think). Cost to repair $9-12,000. Extended warranties won't cover leaks.

Take it FWIW.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:41 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
142,000 miles well out of warranty. I keep most of my cars forever. The only way out of my house is a tree.

So my experience so far.

Wheel bearing $800

Serpentine belt. $1200

Some turbo seal $400

Seat sensor went bad. Dealer wants $2600 to fix

Just developed timing cover leak (I think). Cost to repair $9-12,000. Extended warranties won't cover leaks.

Take it FWIW.
Just to clarify, this is on a Macan, or some other Porsche model you own?
Old 07-20-2020, 12:53 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Sorry. 2016 Macan S purchased new in sept 2015

Reflecting on my journey so far my conclusion is these cars are cost prohibitive to own out of factory warranty.

And I do most of my own work. I removed the front carrier to replace the leaking tensioner and belt. And I plan to disassemble the entire front end to do the timing chain cover. But I don't see many people going through the trouble to do this.

Last edited by dgjks6; 07-20-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:32 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

My philosophy over the last few years is that the time to buy a car is as a CPO and the time to get rid of a car is as a CPO. You save a bundle can can get Porsche's great CPO warranty as opposed to buying new and losing thousands just driving off the lot. By the same token, once the warranty has expired look out. I've seen on BMWs that it seems there's a timer and a tie-in to the odometer to "know" when you're past your warranty and all hell breaks loose with things failing left and right. In particular, if a vehicle is a daily driver, you want to have some assurance that you won't be stranded somewhere and without a reasonably quick response to help you out and get things repaired. Some do claim as a DIY person, you can make an old higher-end vehicle last a long time without breaking the bank, but I suspect these cases may be few and far between. Above all, given the complexity of modern automotive technology, some tasks are beyond the capabilities of even seasoned home mechanics, if nothing else because you need all sorts of special equipment to pull it off.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:42 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,356 Likes on 1,397 Posts

You buy or make the tools you need. Some people take their high end vehicles in to change the oil in the rear view mirror or the cabin air filter. Others like me don't.

The V6 2008 Touareg I just sold had 106,000 miles driven summer and winter at the edge of the arctic. I did all the work myself including re-routing the oil lines to the filter housing which was an idiotic design (sorry VDub but it was) and reverse engineering the oil drain system, was one of the first to swap-out the halogen headlights for HIDs (debugging resistor issues and light fault warnings back in 2008). I then replaced all the exterior lights with LEDs, chipped it, replaced brakes (rotors and pads at least 4 times - wife likes to rest her foot on the pedal as she goes down hill) etc.. So the car was pristine when sold to a friend in order to get my wife the Macan S.

I've owned 356SC, 911T, BMW728, VW Westphalia (which I used to swap the Porsche 2.2L engine into when we went camping as the 1.6L VDub putput was a nightmare) among many others and did all my own work as most of them were used as I couldn't afford them new, thus out of warranty.

In summary, and once it's out of warranty, I'd like to just have one person to blame when things are done wrong, and that's me. The day I can't do this anymore I'll call for a Uber.

If you're constantly worried about the price of repairs to decide when to buy or sell a car, and you don't do your own work, buy a Subaru or something less worrisome when it's out of warranty. And no, my 2020 Macan S does not have any extended warranty I'm 400 miles from a dealer and I've already had 2 electrical gremlins. I love the cars and I'm not worried about repairs, I've worked to pay for them. More mods due this weekend if I can get the lift at my friend's place. A new design in the works

siberian
Old 07-20-2020, 02:44 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Sorry. 2016 Macan S purchased new in sept 2015

Reflecting on my journey so far my conclusion is these cars are cost prohibitive to own out of factory warranty.

And I do most of my own work. I removed the front carrier to replace the leaking tensioner and belt. And I plan to disassemble the entire front end to do the timing chain cover. But I don't see many people going through the trouble to do this.
Thanks for clarifying.

I tend to agree that it’s generally cost prohibitive owning these post warranty. In fact with my two previous Cayenne Turbos,I traded them right around the time the warranty was expiring.

During the time I owned my 958.1 gen CTT, warranty covered about $20k in warranty work! My 957 CTT was far more robust. So far, so good with my ‘17 Macan GTS (knock on wood, fingers crossed, and all that).
The following users liked this post:
tk-porsche (07-21-2020)

Quick Reply: Macan Engine Feedback Requested