Macan S 2015 - cons / help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 05:14 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
Default Macan S 2015 - cons / help please

Greetings from the 2 door world!

My wife is interested in moving from her beloved Volvo XC70 and into a pre-owned 2015 Macan S. I don't know much about the Macan but it drives well and we do like it.

I was wondering if there were any known issues with the first model year for Macans, re-calls or gremlins of any sort.

Feel free to ad pros as well as cons though I am well aware of the benefits of Porsche (I am on my 7th).

Thank you all very much for help - it is much appreciated!
Old 07-18-2020, 05:18 PM
LILBENZ230
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you getting it CPO or just pre-owned? With the transfer case issues and the oil leak issue, I would search for CPO or make sure to pickup an extended warranty. We also just purchased a 2015.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:27 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Are you getting it CPO or just pre-owned? With the transfer case issues and the oil leak issue, I would search for CPO or make sure to pickup an extended warranty. We also just purchased a 2015.
Hi - it is not CPO (I assume, they didn't say so) and I was not aware of the xfer case issues or oil leak issues - can you elaborate? Those sound a little serious - can they be catastrophic?

I asked hte guy if there were any 1st model year issues, recalls etc., and the guy played a little dumb (though said he has worked there a long time). I would have imagined he'd have known about these and at least mentioned them - it is a P-car dealership...
Old 07-18-2020, 11:02 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

How many miles on this car, what is price and what maintenance history does dealership have? Have you looked at the Carfax? Maintenance schedule is major service every 10k miles or yearly. Spark plugs at 30k and PDK service at 40k or four years.

I”ll plug the CPO car (aka Porsche Approved). Last month I bought a CPO 2017 Macan S with 17k miles. Rhodium Silver on red full leather. Dealer gave me four new tires, new front brakes and a 20k service. CPO adds two years to remaining warranty so car is covered for close to three more years. I got a nearly new car and first owner ate three years of depreciation.

Macan is Porsche’s highest selling car, so there are many good used ones for sale.

Last edited by swingwing; 07-18-2020 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Added sentence.
The following users liked this post:
pissedpuppy (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 11:24 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by swingwing
How many miles on this car, what is price and what maintenance history does dealership have? Have you looked at the Carfax? Maintenance schedule is major service every 10k miles or yearly. Spark plugs at 30k and PDK service at 40k or four years.

I”ll plug the CPO car (aka Porsche Approved). Last month I bought a CPO 2017 Macan S with 17k miles. Rhodium Silver on red full leather. Dealer gave me four new tires, new front brakes and a 20k service. CPO adds two years to remaining warranty so car is covered for close to three more years. I got a nearly new car and first owner ate three years of depreciation.

Macan is Porsche’s highest selling car, so there are many good used ones for sale.
93K miles
$25K
They sold the car when new so I assume they have all the records. I asked about them and they said they don't give that info out as a concern for "privacy" (I plan to demand the svc records and redact the orig owner info) they also claimed to not have a paint meter but believe the car has had no paint / body work.
Claimed the CarFax is cleaned
Old 07-18-2020, 11:34 PM
swingwing
Pro

Pass. There’s no reason dealership can’t show you the service history. Look at the Carfax yourself. A reputable dealer will put that on their website for anyone to see. You’re being jacked around.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:50 AM
swingwing
Pro

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
My wife is interested in moving from her beloved Volvo XC70 and into a pre-owned 2015 Macan S. I don't know much about the Macan but it drives well and we do like it.
I was wondering if there were any known issues with the first model year for Macans, re-calls or gremlins of any sort.
Feel free to ad pros as well as cons though I am well aware of the benefits of Porsche (I am on my 7th).
If you're on your 7th car I'm guessing you may be a PCA member. If so there are several Macans for sale there that are nice. I just checked and there's a low mileage '15 in Las Cruces NM (close to El Paso) that I was hot to go on when I was searching. In fact I had planned to fly to El Paso to meet the owner and look at the car. At the time I was pretty sure I'd buy it. Went to DFW Airport and ended up missing the flight by one seat because of the Covid restrictions. Came home to regroup and by chance I came across a new arrived '17 CPO at local dealership that I ended up buying. More money than my initial plan but overall a good buy.

My point is that there are some very nice PP cars out there, especially those owned by club members.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:43 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by swingwing
If you're on your 7th car I'm guessing you may be a PCA member. If so there are several Macans for sale there that are nice. I just checked and there's a low mileage '15 in Las Cruces NM (close to El Paso) that I was hot to go on when I was searching. In fact I had planned to fly to El Paso to meet the owner and look at the car. At the time I was pretty sure I'd buy it. Went to DFW Airport and ended up missing the flight by one seat because of the Covid restrictions. Came home to regroup and by chance I came across a new arrived '17 CPO at local dealership that I ended up buying. More money than my initial plan but overall a good buy.

My point is that there are some very nice PP cars out there, especially those owned by club members.
any chance you could share a link? I am no longer a PCA member

thanks again for your input, there's a lot of negative info out there related to the transfer case issue / replacement and timing chain cover oil leak
Old 07-19-2020, 11:44 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

This is not in direct response to the OP of this thread, but got me thinking.....

I’m not sure who the moderator of this forum is currently, but perhaps we need a sticky section for threads that address common Macan related themes like this (known issues, buying tips, things to look out for, etc.). They have this on the Cayenne forums and many find it very useful and convenient. Just a thought.

Anyone else agree?
Old 07-19-2020, 12:24 PM
LILBENZ230
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

93K miles
$25K
They sold the car when new so I assume they have all the records. I asked about them and they said they don't give that info out as a concern for "privacy" (I plan to demand the svc records and redact the orig owner info) they also claimed to not have a paint meter but believe the car has had no paint / body work.
Claimed the CarFax is cleaned
Apparently 2015 CPO cars are harder and harder to come by. We just bought ours and it is a very, very good example - it was sold, serviced, traded, CPO'd, and sold again by the same dealership. It is a very early 2015 - in service date is in June 2014. Owner drove 6500 miles a year or so. It had 39,600 miles when we bought it.

Dealership showed us the service records. It had new Latitudes on, new brake pads/rotors all around.
The following users liked this post:
pissedpuppy (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 10:28 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
This is not in direct response to the OP of this thread, but got me thinking.....

I’m not sure who the moderator of this forum is currently, but perhaps we need a sticky section for threads that address common Macan related themes like this (known issues, buying tips, things to look out for, etc.). They have this on the Cayenne forums and many find it very useful and convenient. Just a thought.

Anyone else agree?
you should - we have them on the GT3 forums

Quick Reply: Macan S 2015 - cons / help please