Macan 2014-Current

Macan Engine Feedback Requested

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 08:36 PM
patrickkirby
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Macan Engine Feedback Requested

Considering an '18 vs '19 and was wondering if there is any feedback on the Porsche engines <'18 vs the Audi engines '19>. Also it appears the Transfer Case clutches were upgraded in March 2018. Anyone with a build after March 2018 experience Transfer Case issues ?
Old 06-30-2020, 09:46 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

No such issues at present on a 2019 base model at around 10k miles. Was not aware there was any transfer case clutch upgrade - do you have a source for that?
Old 06-30-2020, 10:05 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by tk-porsche
No such issues at present on a 2019 base model at around 10k miles. Was not aware there was any transfer case clutch upgrade - do you have a source for that?
There's a service bulletin for the issue in models up to 2018. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...38301-9999.pdf

You're fine with a 2019.
The following users liked this post:
tk-porsche (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 11:14 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Like buying a Ferrari and getting one with a FIAT engine. BUT, the oil canister is on top!

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 07-02-2020, 12:13 PM
blepski
Instructor

Received 147 Likes on 60 Posts

I am currently shopping for and debating what I think is the exact same thing ( Macan S) so I'll share my thoughts for what it's worth. I should be upfront and tell you that reaching the point of even buying a crossover Macan was a huge step for me. Therefore, I am heavily scrutinizing these as I remain skeptical despite my recent fondness of them for what they are ( a small, sporty, comfortable, good looking vehicle for someone who wants a little bit more than a regular sedan). I currently have a 991.1 which I love so I am wanting to add another Porsche to the lineup

I also will be attempting to keep this vehicle long term (5+ years) so long term quality, reliability and serviceability will play a major factor for me.

Debating the S V6 engines is tough as they both have strong and weak points:

What I can add is that the <18 Porsche twin turbo engines are a conventional and proven twin turbo V6 layout. They do seem to have issues with timing cover leaks that need to be closely monitored while under warranty to avoid a very expensive repair. It's also believed that they can suffer from bore scoring issues in what seems to be rare instances. They also require extensive front end disassembly to access the front of the engine e.g. replace the ACC drive belt. Overall, it appears that engine has a track record of being decently reliable.

The 19+ Audi engines are the more modern "hot V" single turbo engine with the entire camshaft drive system moved to the rear of the engine. I do not have much info on their reliability due to how new they are but with a new cylinder coating technique may have addressed the bore scoring issue. The "hot V" engine layout is also a mess of wires, hoses and plumbing under the acoustic cover so I wonder how that will all hold up long term. The engine seems more compact so the front of the engine appears easier to access for services like the ACC drive belt.

Performance and sound wise the Audi V6 feels a bit more refined but less sporty. Compared to my 991 I don't find the Macan to be that overly sporty or exciting in the first place so I really don't find the difference to mean much overall.

Lastly, if this sort of thing bothers you: The Macan was clearly designed or rather adapted from the Audi Q5 around the <18 Porsche V6 engine. This is immediately obvious when you open to hood and see the hood cutouts matching the twin air intakes and the turbo plumbing from the intercoolers coming together at the central throttle body. It's the typical elegant Porsche packaging layout.

Popping the hood on a 19+ Macans reveals an engine that was clearly not designed for this chassis and the adaptation of the new engine to me reeks of cost cutting on a vehicle that is already massively profitable for Porsche. The single air intake means a plastic cap over the left side hood inlet and the diverted intercooler plumbing ( away from where the central throttle body was in the <18 engines) is comical.

Now, I realize none of that means much beyond principal but if your already keenly aware of the Macan being little more than a nicely redone Audi Q5 then the addition of the Audi engine cheaply thrown under the hood of a $70+k vehicle might annoy you as much as it does to me.

As far as the transfer case issue is concerned, it does appear to have been fully resolved by 2019 but I can't find much reliable data on how many were affected in the earlier models despite many threads on this. I don't believe the <18 models are all ticking time bombs for this issue however.

Hope these thoughts were helpful.

The following 5 users liked this post by blepski:
dragos.porsche (07-05-2020), ImpliedConsent (07-10-2020), patrickkirby (07-04-2020), pissedpuppy (07-19-2020), TurboS_GG (07-06-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 11:06 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Our 18S going on 2 1/2 years and has never been to the dealer (except for the free oil change). Still feels like driving in a vault, fully stock except for Ceramic Pro/Suntek PPF. Wife loves it and recently found the “Sport” button....says it feels like a rocket when she pulls on to the freeway. Now she wants a V1 permanently installed (I have a mirror mount hardwired in). She drives the girlfriends everywhere and they all say how comfy it is.

So she rarely mentions her beloved MBZ that I literally had to pry out of her hands. Looks like a keeper (the wife and Macan).
Old 07-10-2020, 12:42 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

What is the percentage of people that keep these new vehicles out of warranty? Seems scary.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:48 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

We keep all the cars we buy for years. My Touareg is a 2008 V8, bought in 2010, my 2015 RS5 bought new, my recent Macan S is current year and my hopeful 992C4 will be kept until I pass. The day I can't work on my car I'll call for an Uber. Never visit dealers passed warranty expiration, never have never will

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 07-19-2020, 10:36 AM
JohnC4S
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 96 Posts

My 2009 997.2 C4S is 11 years old with 109K miles and currently 2018 Macan Turbo PP at 43k miles. Like @siberian I keep my car for a long time. Maintaining any German cars is not cheap however it is still cheaper than dropping another $140K for a 911. My Macan with a Porsche V6 twin turbo engine is a keeper too.

John
Old 07-19-2020, 11:37 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
What is the percentage of people that keep these new vehicles out of warranty? Seems scary.
Who really knows, that varies with ANY vehicle. It appears from your sig that you have a ‘95 Porsche out of warranty, is it “scary”?
Old 07-19-2020, 12:19 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Who really knows, that varies with ANY vehicle. It appears from your sig that you have a ‘95 Porsche out of warranty, is it “scary”?
that's quite a bit different....

my first 911 had 178K miles on it when I sold (1980 911 SC) - a lot different than a new(er) model Macan
Old 07-19-2020, 03:16 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
that's quite a bit different....

my first 911 had 178K miles on it when I sold (1980 911 SC) - a lot different than a new(er) model Macan
A vehicle out of warranty is a vehicle out of warranty, and whatever risk that may or may not entail.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:26 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 711 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski
I am currently shopping for and debating what I think is the exact same thing ( Macan S) so I'll share my thoughts for what it's worth. I should be upfront and tell you that reaching the point of even buying a crossover Macan was a huge step for me. Therefore, I am heavily scrutinizing these as I remain skeptical despite my recent fondness of them for what they are ( a small, sporty, comfortable, good looking vehicle for someone who wants a little bit more than a regular sedan). I currently have a 991.1 which I love so I am wanting to add another Porsche to the lineup

I also will be attempting to keep this vehicle long term (5+ years) so long term quality, reliability and serviceability will play a major factor for me.

What I can add is that the <18 Porsche twin turbo engines are a conventional and proven twin turbo V6 layout. They do seem to have issues with timing cover leaks that need to be closely monitored while under warranty to avoid a very expensive repair. It's also believed that they can suffer from bore scoring issues in what seems to be rare instances. They also require extensive front end disassembly to access the front of the engine e.g. replace the ACC drive belt. Overall, it appears that engine has a track record of being decently reliable.

The 19+ Audi engines are the more modern "hot V" single turbo engine with the entire camshaft drive system moved to the rear of the engine. I do not have much info on their reliability due to how new they are but with a new cylinder coating technique may have addressed the bore scoring issue. The "hot V" engine layout is also a mess of wires, hoses and plumbing under the acoustic cover so I wonder how that will all hold up long term. The engine seems more compact so the front of the engine appears easier to access for services like the ACC drive belt.

Performance and sound wise the Audi V6 feels a bit more refined but less sporty. Compared to my 991 I don't find the Macan to be that overly sporty or exciting in the first place so I really don't find the difference to mean much overall.

Lastly, if this sort of thing bothers you: The Macan was clearly designed or rather adapted from the Audi Q5 around the <18 Porsche V6 engine. This is immediately obvious when you open to hood and see the hood cutouts matching the twin air intakes and the turbo plumbing from the intercoolers coming together at the central throttle body. It's the typical elegant Porsche packaging layout.

Popping the hood on a 19+ Macans reveals an engine that was clearly not designed for this chassis and the adaptation of the new engine to me reeks of cost cutting on a vehicle that is already massively profitable for Porsche. The single air intake means a plastic cap over the left side hood inlet and the diverted intercooler plumbing ( away from where the central throttle body was in the <18 engines) is comical.

Now, I realize none of that means much beyond principal but if your already keenly aware of the Macan being little more than a nicely redone Audi Q5 then the addition of the Audi engine cheaply thrown under the hood of a $70+k vehicle might annoy you as much as it does to me.

As far as the transfer case issue is concerned, it does appear to have been fully resolved by 2019 but I can't find much reliable data on how many were affected in the earlier models despite many threads on this. I don't believe the <18 models are all ticking time bombs for this issue however.

Just get a 2020 Macan GTS. Its got more power than the S and comes standard with air suspension. With standard 20" wheels, I'd say this crossover SUVs ride and handling is as good as it gets - unless you want to put up with the ride and tire noise of a 911. As to the repairs, unless you are sitting at a Porsche dealer and looking at all of their service repairs, I don't see how you can say what repairs (bore scoring - extreme case) are coming. out of the tens of thousands sold world wide every year, only a few people join here and post their complaints. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:37 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by kayjh
As to the repairs, unless you are sitting at a Porsche dealer and looking at all of their service repairs, I don't see how you can say what repairs (bore scoring - extreme case) are coming. out of the tens of thousands sold world wide every year, only a few people join here and post their complaints. Good luck.
Yup, exactly
Old 07-19-2020, 08:51 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by blepski

If you call kvetching helpful, then maybe. Go buy one and then report back please.

Quick Reply: Macan Engine Feedback Requested