Notices
Macan 2014-Current

How long can a Macan sit w/o a battery tender?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 12:36 PM
wbferran
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Most would think the same as you. Unless they have enough experience to know otherwise. I've had 12 Porsches and most say in the garage all week. So I learned. If you leave it sit for days most every week, you'll be lucky to get 3 years out of your batteries. The battery in my 944 died in 2 years of weekend use.
Since I started using a battery maintainer, my Porsche batteries have lasted more than 6 years, and I sold or traded b4 having to replace them. The battery in my 2017 991.2 911 Turbo is over 5 years old and still going strong. Sulfation is a common problem, if you care to research it. It's not much work to plug in my CTEK maintainer, so why wouldn't I? .
which CTEK do you use? Thx
Old 03-07-2022, 02:17 PM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Most would think the same as you. Unless they have enough experience to know otherwise. I've had 12 Porsches and most say in the garage all week. So I learned. If you leave it sit for days most every week, you'll be lucky to get 3 years out of your batteries. The battery in my 944 died in 2 years of weekend use.
Since I started using a battery maintainer, my Porsche batteries have lasted more than 6 years, and I sold or traded b4 having to replace them. The battery in my 2017 991.2 911 Turbo is over 5 years old and still going strong. Sulfation is a common problem, if you care to research it. It's not much work to plug in my CTEK maintainer, so why wouldn't I? .
Alright, alright... Makes sense, you talked me into it. It will be four days between drives and I will go out to the garage now and hook up my tender. I have another reason to leave the hood up as well...

This will be the second time I've had to replace the insulation under my hood. I am open to suggestions as I've tried several rodent deterrents but can't keep these mother f#(ers out of my 1940's dirt floor garage.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:40 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 932 Likes on 563 Posts

I have gone 2-3 weeks on both Porsches, but now that I see how much a Macan battery replacement costs, I might start using the Porsche tender I bought a couple years ago.
The following users liked this post:
MrMarco (03-07-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 04:02 PM
wbferran
Instructor

Can you hook it up under the hood, or does it need to be hooked up to the battery in the back?
Old 03-10-2022, 07:21 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by wbferran
Can you hook it up under the hood, or does it need to be hooked up to the battery in the back?
I use the cigarette lighter as it is convenient. You need to get it hooked up while the power is still flowing in the car after you park it. Yes, you can use the under hood battery connectors. Their benefit is if the power source goes out and starts again, so will your charger. This is not true if you use the cigarette lighter. The drawback is the inconvenience of the access. You can go to the battery itself for charging, but access to it is nearly impossible.
The following users liked this post:
MrMarco (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 10:05 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Connect here:

You can see the negative post with the (-) symbol on the top and the positive post is above the seal on the cowl under a protective cover (the cover is opened up in this picture.)

Last edited by MrMarco; 03-11-2022 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:40 PM
wbferran
Instructor

Originally Posted by wwahl
I use the cigarette lighter as it is convenient. You need to get it hooked up while the power is still flowing in the car after you park it. Yes, you can use the under hood battery connectors. Their benefit is if the power source goes out and starts again, so will your charger. This is not true if you use the cigarette lighter. The drawback is the inconvenience of the access. You can go to the battery itself for charging, but access to it is nearly impossible.
thats very interesting. So you can access the battery via the cigarette lighter, but you must do so before you turn the car off? Good to know. Thx
Old 03-11-2022, 07:08 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts

thats very interesting. So you can access the battery via the cigarette lighter, but you must do so before you turn the car off? Good to know. Thx
You can turn the car off first. The electronics keep flowing for awhile so you have time to get out of the car and collect your charger and plug it into the c. lighter and then the power source.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:34 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

My Audi sits at the airport for 4-5 weeks at a time. It always starts right up. I believe the systems go into some sort of hibernation, because my radio has to restart itself. No settings are lost though. Also the battery is the original 2014 factory supplied. Amazing
Old 03-12-2022, 09:42 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Originally Posted by mrhebert
My Audi sits at the airport for 4-5 weeks at a time. It always starts right up. I believe the systems go into some sort of hibernation, because my radio has to restart itself. No settings are lost though. Also the battery is the original 2014 factory supplied. Amazing
Your vehicle sits outside at DEN in the winter? Wow, that battery must have been tested with some cold winter nights...
Old 03-12-2022, 06:25 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Will see in a few weeks what happens after 5 months of the battery being on a CTEK tender, hooked up to the front battery terminals, doors locked and alarm on, and inside a garage that can get quite cold. Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: How long can a Macan sit w/o a battery tender?