Notices
Macan 2014-Current

How long can a Macan sit w/o a battery tender?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 06:54 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

I just drove the '19 Macan today after exactly 28 days of not driving it at all. I left it unlocked in the garage (hence, no alarm was active), and with no battery tender. It fired up right away and showed no signs whatsoever of having a weak battery. Hence, I can vouch for four weeks of no usage being not at all a problem with a relatively new battery (a bit over one year old). Same held true for a '14 BMW X1 with an older battery.
The following users liked this post:
Need4S (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 10:08 AM
fsts2k
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

'18 Macan sat in the garage for three weeks, struggled to start and ran rough until car warmed up and I presume generate enough electricity to charge battery. Drove for a while and all is well.

For what it is worth, this is the second time my car has sat for three weeks and was near low on battery. I wouldn't suggest it is every Macan but 3 weeks is the limit for my GTS
Old 08-11-2020, 04:09 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Originally Posted by fsts2k
'18 Macan sat in the garage for three weeks, struggled to start and ran rough until car warmed up and I presume generate enough electricity to charge battery. Drove for a while and all is well.

For what it is worth, this is the second time my car has sat for three weeks and was near low on battery. I wouldn't suggest it is every Macan but 3 weeks is the limit for my GTS
I am curious whether or not you had it locked? My suspicion is with the car locked and the alarm system running, it may be drawing quite a bit more current. I am guessing the battery age may also play somewhat of a role, mostly because of the highest crank power it's able to hold deteriorating over time.
Then again, the S is undoubted different from the base model in ways few of us will likely ever fully comprehend!
SD00 (03-13-2022)
Old 08-11-2020, 05:43 PM
fsts2k
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tk-porsche
I am curious whether or not you had it locked? My suspicion is with the car locked and the alarm system running, it may be drawing quite a bit more current. I am guessing the battery age may also play somewhat of a role, mostly because of the highest crank power it's able to hold deteriorating over time.
Then again, the S is undoubted different from the base model in ways few of us will likely ever fully comprehend!
Thanks, not locked. No idea why it is drawing down so much. Could be battery age? It is the battery that was delivered with the car.

Maybe it just likes to be driven and gets depressed if it isn't started?
Old 08-11-2020, 11:44 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tk-porsche
I’ve been informed that locking the car actually causes less loss, as the car knows it’s not going to be driven so shuts down more systems. Notice how the fuel pump energizes the minute you open the driver’s door? All to make for less delay in getting in, sitting down and starting. The systems run in background longer when the car is not locked.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:48 AM
tk-porsche
Racer

Originally Posted by Need4S
I’ve been informed that locking the car actually causes less loss, as the car knows it’s not going to be driven so shuts down more systems. Notice how the fuel pump energizes the minute you open the driver’s door? All to make for less delay in getting in, sitting down and starting. The systems run in background longer when the car is not locked.
Well, that's really an interesting piece of news. I'd have guessed the alarm sensors would be more of a power drain, but evidently not! Thanks for sharing that piece of information.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:06 AM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Our Mac started normally after sitting locked for a month. The 991 was on trickle charger overnight and did the same.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:10 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

My personal rule is 3 days. If I think it will suit 3 days, or it has sat for 3 days, I put the tender on it.
This prevents sulfation. Sulfations over time kill batteries.
MrMarco (03-06-2022)
Old 08-16-2020, 02:33 AM
tk-porsche
Racer

Funny, the battery I had that lasted the longest (around 12 years) was in a car I drove only a few times a month and went a month or so at times undriven without any special care. I would think a lot would depend on how accessories drain the battery; in old cars, there was next to nothing that would draw current from the battery, excepting maybe maybe a clock.
Old 03-05-2022, 10:24 PM
gonracin'
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hopefully someone can help me with jump start issue. AAA sent someone to jump my 997.2 Turbo. Afterwards check engine light would not go off nor could it be cleared by dealer. Dealer sales person told me never to jump my 997.2. So does my indie tech. Luckily the indie shop saved me replacing the ECU. Since I can't imagine push starting even a manual is the only option to flatbed it to nearest AC plug and charge the batt.
I replaced the AC Delco that was new with an Optimus and since then all is good but I stilll worry about dead batt.
ANd of course the yahoo who placed the jumpers scratched the fender with his belt buckle.
Can someone explain why the 997 should not be jumped.

Thanks much
Old 03-06-2022, 11:43 AM
MrMarco
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
My personal rule is 3 days. If I think it will suit 3 days, or it has sat for 3 days, I put the tender on it.
This prevents sulfation. Sulfations over time kill batteries.
I would think three days is overkill, three or two weeks. Now my daily routinely sits for three days but I had a spare vehicle that would sit for a couple weeks maybe a month with no issues or early battery death. The last time I discovered a dead battery was in my Silverado after I left the dashcam plugged in over a cold night on an old battery...
Old 03-06-2022, 02:10 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gonracin'
Hopefully someone can help me with jump start issue. AAA sent someone to jump my 997.2 Turbo. Afterwards check engine light would not go off nor could it be cleared by dealer. Dealer sales person told me never to jump my 997.2. So does my indie tech. Luckily the indie shop saved me replacing the ECU. Since I can't imagine push starting even a manual is the only option to flatbed it to nearest AC plug and charge the batt.
I replaced the AC Delco that was new with an Optimus and since then all is good but I stilll worry about dead batt.
ANd of course the yahoo who placed the jumpers scratched the fender with his belt buckle.
Can someone explain why the 997 should not be jumped.

Thanks much
I seem to recall info in the Owner's Manual that addresses this - I don't remember any prohibition of using jumper cables. Look in your manual index under "emergency starting with jumper cables".and see if there's any info there.
Old 03-06-2022, 03:33 PM
wbferran
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Which CTEK model is recommended? Thx
Old 03-06-2022, 08:19 PM
tk-porsche
Racer

Originally Posted by wbferran
Which CTEK model is recommended? Thx
I ended up getting this CTEK, which works great:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by tk-porsche; 03-07-2022 at 01:16 PM.
97c2s993 (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 09:16 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMarco
I would think three days is overkill, three or two weeks. Now my daily routinely sits for three days but I had a spare vehicle that would sit for a couple weeks maybe a month with no issues or early battery death. The last time I discovered a dead battery was in my Silverado after I left the dashcam plugged in over a cold night on an old battery...
Most would think the same as you. Unless they have enough experience to know otherwise. I've had 12 Porsches and most say in the garage all week. So I learned. If you leave it sit for days most every week, you'll be lucky to get 3 years out of your batteries. The battery in my 944 died in 2 years of weekend use.
Since I started using a battery maintainer, my Porsche batteries have lasted more than 6 years, and I sold or traded b4 having to replace them. The battery in my 2017 991.2 911 Turbo is over 5 years old and still going strong. Sulfation is a common problem, if you care to research it. It's not much work to plug in my CTEK maintainer, so why wouldn't I? .
MrMarco (03-07-2022)

Quick Reply: How long can a Macan sit w/o a battery tender?