Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Traded in our Macan Turbo w/PP

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020 | 11:50 PM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim137a
- the “Rapid “ CPO inspection in this case raises a few concerns for me especially since the car is equipped with PCCB - did they even have enough time to do the density check on the rotors.
Rotor density is not part of the CPO process...just a visual inspection.

Aside from that, it's a Macan...are you really concerned it has seen extensive time at the track?
Old 01-03-2020 | 12:42 AM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Draper
Rotor density is not part of the CPO process...just a visual inspection.

Aside from that, it's a Macan...are you really concerned it has seen extensive time at the track?
I guess one of my concerns is the condition of the PCCB rotors - are there chips, nicks or any other surface defects that would be costly to replace down the road.

As stated by the OP;

They listed it so fast, they don't even have photos yet... could they have just rubber-stamp CPO'ed it? They got it around 7pm Sunday night and I find it hard to believe they really inspected it thoroughly Monday when the listing went up, but who knows. “

This and the other factors I listed are causing me to step away from pursuing this car. I’m a cautious buyer and there’s too many red flags for me to feel comfortable pursuing this car.

I currently own a Macan S and Cayman GTS that are CPO from my local dealer that has treated me exceptionally well so I’ll just wait for them find me a nice CPO 2018 Macan Turbo.
Old 01-03-2020 | 02:31 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

This is (was) in fact the only Porsche I've ever owned that didn't ever have squealy brakes, and as far as I know the PCCBs are in excellent shape, but no one can blame you for working with a dealer you know.

Sorry to cast doubt on the dealer with my idle speculation about CPO - they said they intended to CPO it before I even signed the papers just based on their initial inspection. I assume they have to go through an inspection checklist and signoff before CPO is approved (which would be honored at any other dealer). The fees they want to tack on are real though, there's even some fine print on the bottom of the listing that mentions a random $150 for a "documentary service fee". I hate that kind of crap.

Old 01-03-2020 | 03:39 PM
Draper
Rennlist Member

I imagine this is a scenario where the dealer made the decision to list the car as a CPO before the actual CPO process was complete. Dealers also do this with cars they have in transit that haven't actually arrived yet. For this year and mileage, the main aspects of the CPO process would be the inspection, plus maybe a pair of rear tires, an oil change, and a wash. Porsche mainly just wants to confirm the car has a good baseline before adding an extra two years of warranty.

IMHO, finding a Turbo (let alone a PP) with the right mix of options is a challenge, so if this car checks all the boxes for you I wouldn't let a few minor dealer annoyances get in the way.
Old 01-05-2020 | 05:27 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

I imagine this is a scenario where the dealer made the decision to list the car as a CPO before the actual CPO process was complete. Dealers also do this with cars they have in transit that haven't actually arrived yet. For this year and mileage, the main aspects of the CPO process would be the inspection, plus maybe a pair of rear tires, an oil change, and a wash. Porsche mainly just wants to confirm the car has a good baseline before adding an extra two years of warranty.

IMHO, finding a Turbo (let alone a PP) with the right mix of options is a challenge, so if this car checks all the boxes for you I wouldn't let a few minor dealer annoyances get in the way.
I hear you on the availability of CPO Turbos with the PP - I believe there’s 3 or 4 on the Porsche Car locator and none of them are equipped as nicely as this one and I hate to pass on it but I’m all about partaking in quick, easy and painless car buying experiences. This car is over priced IMO, the dealer had mediocre reviews and hidden fees - not for me.

I’ve purchased 3 cars from my dealer in the past ~ 3 years and traded in 3 cars all without any issues. I find a car in my dealers inventory, I call my SA and set up an appointment. I view the car and if I like it I make a reasonable offer - he’s always accepted my offer, he then asks what I think my trade is worth, I tell him - he agrees, we shake hands and I get my new car.

Also, my SA said he has a few nice 2018 turbos coming in on trade once the 2020’s are released so I’m going to stick with him.

Again, I hate to pass on this car because it’s specced so nicely and it would give me the opportunity to visit Seattle and do an extended cross country trip but I’m not feeling this deal.
Old 01-05-2020 | 07:02 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Well, they finally got some photos added to their listing. All that stuff in the back is the gear I put in there, i.e. the cargo mat, the cargo kit, and the all weather floor mats - I put the original floor mats back in. It's a shame to see it sitting out in the rain (because Seattle) instead of in my garage.

I hope someone on Rennlist gets it.
Old 01-05-2020 | 07:27 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

It was really helpful that you supplied all that info on the transaction.
Old 01-06-2020 | 02:47 PM
GratedWasabi
Racer

Originally Posted by digits
Well, they finally got some photos added to their listing. All that stuff in the back is the gear I put in there, i.e. the cargo mat, the cargo kit, and the all weather floor mats - I put the original floor mats back in. It's a shame to see it sitting out in the rain (because Seattle) instead of in my garage.

I hope someone on Rennlist gets it.
If I end up deciding I need the utility of the Macan over the 911 on order, I'll definitely be checking your old car out. Bummer that they have it listed at such a high price, though, and generally I've found the Tacoma dealership a pain to deal with. As for concerns about the quick CPO process, it's listed as a CPO on the Porsche site and that's all that matters. I highly recommend having any used car, CPO or not, checked out independently. The CPO process is done as quickly and with as little work as possible by dealerships and does not guarantee any better condition than a regular used car. The CPO is just for the added warranty.

The fact that this car is a CPO and the original owner is known is exemplary and should alleviate any concerns. I'd still have it checked out, mainly to gain leverage over the dealership, but I bet the car is in like new condition.

Beautiful build and someone will be very happy if they can get the price down a bit.
Old 01-07-2020 | 11:16 AM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

They dropped the price to $97,500.

https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/...allic+33910559
Old 01-07-2020 | 12:17 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim137a
Good - but that's STILL too high.

It's only been a week, but if they've already dropped it a bit then they do want to sell it - I suspect someone making a reasonable offer (low 90's at best, I'd say) who has the discipline to walk away when they pretend to refuse to budge will be the one who drives it home.
Old 01-08-2020 | 01:33 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

They traded for $80k, you should be able to get it for somewhere between $84-90k. That's my guess.
Old 01-08-2020 | 01:53 PM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
They traded for $80k, you should be able to get it for somewhere between $84-90k. That's my guess.
IIRC, CPO costs $3-4K, so $90k is probably their bottom line.
Old 01-09-2020 | 12:28 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

IIRC, CPO costs $3-4K, so $90k is probably their bottom line.
Agreed CPO is probably around $3k. That said, the longer the car sits there, the more likely you will get it for less. I think you could get it for less than $90k if it sits long enough.
Old 01-28-2020 | 12:06 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Price dropped to $95,900. Still a bit steep, but moving in the right direction.
Old 01-28-2020 | 05:52 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Having recently traded a 2015 Macan S for a 2018 Macan Turbo. I recommend that interested parties swallow hard and if you can afford it, go for it.

The 3.6 Turbo is another thing altogether from the S. This car looks to be a gem and I would bet the smiles per mile will rapidly justify a premium.

Quick Reply: Traded in our Macan Turbo w/PP