Macan 2014-Current

Macan Coding

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 12:46 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,356 Likes on 1,397 Posts

Hi and thanks. Does the oil pressure gauge suffer from the same anomalies of staying in this case at the same temp once operating temp is reached? Definitely the coolant unless the oil suffers from the same disease

Just out of interest, why do folks want lighting always on for speedo and tach? I ordered the red gauge combo and the white led behind makes it look pink - terrible. Shame you can't modify the wavelength...

siberian
Old 08-19-2022, 03:17 PM
VAGfan
Pro

Received 305 Likes on 199 Posts

I think only the coolant gauge was factory configured for the non-linear behavior. I don't think the oil temp or oil pressure has the non-linear behavior programmed from the factory.

I have the standard black dial faces, and the white numbers/markings are not easy to see during the day. Always-on illumination makes these easier to see.
Old 08-19-2022, 04:21 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ahh I was wondering. Well the red face with the white LED makes it a gross pink. So only the coolant would be appreciated! Thanks

siberian
Old 08-19-2022, 05:29 PM
VAGfan
Pro

To linearize the engine coolant temperature gauge, these are the steps for my Launch X-431 “Torque III”, on my 2019 Macan Base.

The X431 Porsche software version is 23.99

1)Connect your Launch scanner, start the X431 software, plug into your OBD2 diagnostic port.

2)Turn ON the ignition, but don’t start the engine. (Don’t depress brake pedal when turning the key)

3) Select “Diagnose”

4) Select “Porsche”

5) Scroll through the list of modules to find “Instrument Cluster”, then select “Enter” for it.

6) On the Instrument Cluster menu, select “Code / brush hiding”

7) Select “Rule Coding”

8) Select “Coolant Temperature Characteristic Curve”

9) You will now see a table of 8 “X” values (“X1” thru “X8”), and if you scroll further down, 8 “Y” values (“Y1” thru “Y8”). The X values are actual coolant temp, the Y values are what the gauge displays.

10) Write down each of the X values, and each of the Y values.

11) For each Y value that is different from the corresponding X value (X1 compared to Y1, X2 compared to Y2…..), select each different Y value, a data entry box will pop up, and then enter a new numerical value for it, which is equal to the corresponding X value (ie change Y3 to equal the value of X3).

12) When you are done changing the Y values to be equal to the X values, press the “Write Code” button at the bottom of the screen.

13) Then exit the Launch, and turn off the ignition key.

14) Unplug from the OBD2 port.

15) Done

Last edited by VAGfan; 08-19-2022 at 08:31 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by VAGfan:
mikegally (08-20-2022), Noah Fect (09-26-2022), Pablos007 (08-25-2022), siberian (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 05:40 PM
VAGfan
Pro

While I was "rummaging around" in there, I found another Instrument Cluster coding possibility, to correct the speedometer reading so that it displays the actual road speed. The speedometer is factory programmed to display a higher speed than your actual road speed...this is typical of most car brands, adding a few MPH.

The coding parameter to change this is labeled (in my X431 tool) as "USA Tachometer Characteristic".....this is really the speedometer curve (poor translation), like the above temperature X, Y table. I can see that the factory set Y values (km/h) are all 3% higher than the corresponding X values.

I will try making them equal to make my speedometer display actual road speeds.

Last edited by VAGfan; 08-19-2022 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:51 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanx @VAGfan . I assume point 12 and 14 are the same. I don't have the latest Launch as I have a 431x Pro Mini but I'll see if I have that menu available. As to speedo, you are correct, on average on my 992, mph are off by 3 between laser detector and actual displayed.

Thanks again

siberian
Old 08-19-2022, 10:48 PM
mvmojo
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Thanx @VAGfan . I assume point 12 and 14 are the same. I don't have the latest Launch as I have a 431x Pro Mini but I'll see if I have that menu available. As to speedo, you are correct, on average on my 992, mph are off by 3 between laser detector and actual displayed.

Thanks again

siberian
The speedometer in my 2018 Macan GTS shows 2 mph higher than the actual radar measured speed. I've seen this time and time again as I pass the "Your Speed Is" radar signs. I read somewhere that this is because even a few mph over the posted speed is a serious offense in Germany but don't know if that's true or not. Like the engine coolant temp, it would be nice if the displayed information was accurate vs. what Porsche wants us to see! Fake News!!!
Old 08-19-2022, 11:06 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Actually no, having that margin is a safety net as not everyone watches their speedo like a hawk.

So giving you a few mph or kph under will (couple with the 10% margin radar operators give you) means the difference between a ticket or a pass.

siberian
Old 08-24-2022, 03:34 PM
frankfurtnyc
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently purchased a X431 Mini ProS.
Had a major headache when deciding which model to purchase where from which seller.
After receiving it, I got to change a few things to my liking but I am not really impressed by the device. From my point of view, it seems to be very tacky and not reassuring that it would perform well flawlessly in the next coming years. Alone the fact that it would cost a few hundred dollars to extend the update period is a huge disadvantage.
After reading some comments, especially the one comparing the X431 and PIWIS, I think the latter on is the way to go, as I do not have the need to code different brand cars.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:29 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

The Pro Mini is the better of the smaller tablets, and the ProS is a step or two down. It’s all a bit confusing. Last time I looked into these the Pro Mini was basically a smaller version of the V+…
I’ve had mine for maybe 3 years now and it has absolutely paid for itself. The updates have expired, but I’ve got functionality up through ‘22 model year with the updates I got in Dec. This should last me several more years, and probably won’t need to be replaced unless I have to buy a car that is newer that 2022.

Originally Posted by frankfurtnyc
Recently purchased a X431 Mini ProS.
Had a major headache when deciding which model to purchase where from which seller.
After receiving it, I got to change a few things to my liking but I am not really impressed by the device. From my point of view, it seems to be very tacky and not reassuring that it would perform well flawlessly in the next coming years. Alone the fact that it would cost a few hundred dollars to extend the update period is a huge disadvantage.
After reading some comments, especially the one comparing the X431 and PIWIS, I think the latter on is the way to go, as I do not have the need to code different brand cars.
The following users liked this post:
frankfurtnyc (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 04:32 PM
frankfurtnyc
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dollarlongnecks
The Pro Mini is the better of the smaller tablets, and the ProS is a step or two down. It’s all a bit confusing. Last time I looked into these the Pro Mini was basically a smaller version of the V+…
I’ve had mine for maybe 3 years now and it has absolutely paid for itself. The updates have expired, but I’ve got functionality up through ‘22 model year with the updates I got in Dec. This should last me several more years, and probably won’t need to be replaced unless I have to buy a car that is newer that 2022.
Thanks for the info! I assumed that the Mini ProS is a superior version to the Mini Pro. Yes, it's too confusing to actually find the right one...
Old 09-11-2022, 03:17 PM
Beneil
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there a new spreadsheet for 2022 Macan models? Looking at the existing cheat code, lot of info is not matching with my car...
Old 09-11-2022, 04:18 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You need to also check against what Launch version you're using.

siberian
Old 09-11-2022, 04:24 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

The nomenclature is very confusing. Which models do what? I have a "x431 Pros Mini 3.0" which doesn't appear to lack any functionality at all.
Old 09-11-2022, 04:29 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No, I meant what PORSCHE software version are you running?

I don't think that model x would have different software ability than the pro mini or other. What may be true is that the more expensive models "may" receive software updates faster than cheaper models.

So you need to check what PORSCHE software version you're running and then see whether (in the release notes) whatever you're trying to do is supported. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

siberian

Quick Reply: Macan Coding