Sport mode vs Sport plus mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 04:16 PM
GT3SpecD
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sport mode vs Sport plus mode

Hi all
New to the Porsche brand, just purchased a CPO 2017 Macan Turbo....after a week of ownership I can see why everyone that knows loves Porsches, had a great purchasing experience and certainly loving the driving dynamic of the Macan. Question: My vehicle only has Sport mode and Sport Plus mode for chassis dynamics. Is there a way to get Sport Plus mode added?
From what I understand Sport Plus mode changes engine management plus suspension management, is there a big enough difference between both modes?
Thank you for your help
Old 11-30-2019, 05:02 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Welcome and congrats on the Turbo.

You can add Sport Plus mode.... https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU95BSPORT.html

However note that it requires a visit to the dealer for install (see the notes in the link).

If added after the fact however, you won’t have the sport chrono clock on the dash, you’ll still have your standard clock I believe. That would have to be a separate upgrade if you wanted that in order to have the complete Sport Chrono package as delivered from the factory.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:02 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA

You can add Sport Plus mode.... https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU95BSPORT.html

However note that it requires a visit to the dealer for install (see the notes in the link).

If added after the fact however, you won’t have the sport chrono clock on the dash, you’ll still have your standard clock I believe. That would have to be a separate upgrade if you wanted that in order to have the complete Sport Chrono package as delivered from the factory.
Sport Chrono shows up in the MFD after an after market addition.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:10 PM
GT3SpecD
AutoX

THAT IS AWESOME! you made my day!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2019, 09:35 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

Mind if I question your motivation to add Sport Plus? Are you into driving the twisties, canyon carving, etc. The opportunity to use Sport Plus under normal circumstances is rare unless you're really into high performance driving and the expense to purchase and install it is going to be considerable. I'm just asking....
The following users liked this post:
Draper (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 10:38 PM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

FWIW, I have factory Sport Chrono (Sport Plus) and I hardly ever use it.

If it were me, I'd put that money towards a Cobb Accessport and BGB tune.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:50 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Sport mode changes the fuel mappings and engine response. Sport plus will get you launch control and the PDK doesn't shift until red line. As others have said if you're not tracking, it not much use on the street.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:58 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,377 Posts

But you get the "manettino" for the price of a Porsche Sports Chrono package rather than the cost of a Ferrari. For everything else there's Mastercard

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
drgav2005 (11-05-2021)
Old 12-01-2019, 08:25 AM
GT3SpecD
AutoX

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Mind if I question your motivation to add Sport Plus? Are you into driving the twisties, canyon carving, etc. The opportunity to use Sport Plus under normal circumstances is rare unless you're really into high performance driving and the expense to purchase and install it is going to be considerable. I'm just asking....
absolutely:
1. Yes performance driving is my thing, plus I prefer the factory tuning where I don’t have to worry about voiding the warranty,
2. From what I understand sport plus is not just engine mapping but also stability control and PASM parameters

- Would a COBB tune change those as well or just engine performance?

3. I race shifter karts and endurance karts so am an adrenaline junkie and my gyroscope for performance handling is very sensitive
4. Unfortunately it’s a mental thing too, knowing that I have all the performance options available had I been the one to option it when it was brand new.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:27 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by wwahl
Sport Chrono shows up in the MFD after an after market addition.
Correct, but the physical clock on the center of the dash is different on the factory sport chrono cars vs those without the option. The sport chrono clock is a stopwatch type configuration.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:30 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Draper
FWIW, I have factory Sport Chrono (Sport Plus) and I hardly ever use it.

If it were me, I'd put that money towards a Cobb Accessport and BGB tune.
Just depends if the OP wants to preserve what’s left of his factory warranty and CPO. For some, the factory SC pkg is all they need/want.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:59 PM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Just depends if the OP wants to preserve what’s left of his factory warranty and CPO. For some, the factory SC pkg is all they need/want.
True, but SC doesn't make the car faster, it just adds launch control and higher shift points (LC is what Porsche uses when they quote their 0-60 numbers). You can recreate the shift points by manually shifting with the paddles, so really you're paying ~$1K for LC.

Also, a tune doesn't automatically void your warranty. All the stage 1 tunes are pretty mild, and relatively safe. My dealer even recommends and installs the COBB tunes.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:58 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by Draper
True, but SC doesn't make the car faster, it just adds launch control and higher shift points (LC is what Porsche uses when they quote their 0-60 numbers). You can recreate the shift points by manually shifting with the paddles, so really you're paying ~$1K for LC.

Also, a tune doesn't automatically void your warranty. All the stage 1 tunes are pretty mild, and relatively safe. My dealer even recommends and installs the COBB tunes.
Actually according to Porsche, the SC equipped Macans are quicker to 60 by 2/10s with Sport+ Mode enabled. Part of that is attributable to launch control, but also the power train mapping. Some independent reviews show an even more pronounced difference.

As for mild stage 1 aftermarket tunes voiding warranty, they certainly do per PCNA.....it’s the dealers that vary on their acceptance.
MM3.9GT3 (11-06-2021)
Old 12-01-2019, 06:27 PM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Actually according to Porsche, the SC equipped Macans are quicker to 60 by 2/10s with Sport+ Mode enabled. Part of that is attributable to launch control, but also the power train mapping. Some independent reviews show an even more pronounced difference.

As for mild stage 1 aftermarket tunes voiding warranty, they certainly do per PCNA.....it’s the dealers that vary on their acceptance.
I'm sure the difference is mostly due to launch control. SC will change the pedal sensitivity which can make the car feel faster, but WOT will be the same in Sport and Sport Plus. BMW does the same thing with their Sport and Sport Plus, and ironically many actually prefer the more linear throttle behavior of the less aggressive modes for track use.

Regarding tunes, what I meant was there is a low likelihood of running into a warranty denial due to a stage 1 tune. The entire warranty doesn't become null and void when installing a tune, but of course the risk is there should you run into a catastrophic failure. However, the S1 tunes are mild in nature, and most never run into issues. There are countless tuned cars that go in for unrelated warranty repairs all the time.

I guess everyone has to make their own choice based on their goals and risk tolerance, but IMHO SC is novelty that isn't worth the money to retrofit.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:39 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Sport plus

IMHO for “normal/spirited” (no track) driving, ‘Sport” with ecu tune is where I “am” 90% of the time. I paddle up to a higher gear when appropriate while in Sport. On highway, Normal. Stay on lowered suspension setting same 90%.
rasetsu (12-04-2019)

Quick Reply: Sport mode vs Sport plus mode