Macan 2014-Current

Wireless Apple Carplay setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 05:05 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Sorry must have missed that but as the question centered around CarPlay...

If that's the plan, I won't be using PCM or CarPlay and just rely on my phone's hotspot and Samsung tablet when I need. Thanx

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 12-01-2019, 12:10 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Sorry must have missed that but as the question centered around CarPlay...

If that's the plan, I won't be using PCM or CarPlay and just rely on my phone's hotspot and Samsung tablet when I need. Thanx
You have a 2020, correct? If so the Porsche connect store says that wifi can be used to download updates "

Online Map Update

Online updates ensure that you have the latest maps at all times. Only changes to the maps will be downloaded to keep data consumption at a minimum. You can select individual regions or countries of maps according to your needs. You are also free to decide when you want to download updates; for example, only when you have a WiFi connection."

You could also use CarPlay, that just uses your phone and it's dataplan. The PCM is basically just a monitor and touch interface for your phone. The Apps are still running on your phone and not the PCM.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:36 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, that's correct a 2020 S (to be delivered as it's bobbing along somewhere between Ecuador and San Diego on the Glovis Star).

Well that sounds a lot better as we have very limited coverage here 140 miles from the arctic circle, so to pay for another SIM to get the same lousy coverage would be insane. Secondly after 30+ years in nets and comms in military and high energy physics environments, I'm well aware of Siri, Google and FB and the damage and infringements on your privacy they engender. Thus the reason I don't use or subscribe to anything like that. TOR and VPNs are my friends, the cloud is certainly not.

I assume to get the Porsche app, you'll get an invite when the car is delivered to you right?
Thanks Todd for taking the time to explain this

siberian

Old 12-01-2019, 08:45 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
You have a 2020, correct? If so the Porsche connect store says that wifi can be used to download updates "

Online Map Update

Online updates ensure that you have the latest maps at all times. Only changes to the maps will be downloaded to keep data consumption at a minimum. You can select individual regions or countries of maps according to your needs. You are also free to decide when you want to download updates; for example, only when you have a WiFi connection."

You could also use CarPlay, that just uses your phone and it's dataplan. The PCM is basically just a monitor and touch interface for your phone. The Apps are still running on your phone and not the PCM.
Todd B, can you post the link to where you found that? Thanks.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:52 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverK68
Todd B, can you post the link to where you found that? Thanks.
here you go, click on the description tab.

https://connect-store.porsche.com/us...nc_destsync_v1
Old 12-01-2019, 11:54 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Todd, this is a $205 bucks a year service as part of Navigation Plus and not something that is (assuming you have a WiFi network at home) you simply download to your car free. I can load a Garmin connected to my laptop for free and not have to share info with Porsche, providers etc.

Appreciate the help Todd, but this is still a lame attempt to nickle and dime you to death

siberian

Old 12-01-2019, 01:48 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
here you go, click on the description tab.

https://connect-store.porsche.com/us...nc_destsync_v1
Hmmm. The service description site I originally visited doesn’t mention the wifi update option.

Must be a Canadian thing.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:18 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No doubt as Todd pointed out, it's a new feature available on the 2020 models forward.

siberian

Old 12-01-2019, 03:54 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So before you get all wrapped up in the convenience of it all, please note the following data privacy impact of subscribing to these (bold face are my edit) from Porsche's Data Privacy Guideline. I'm not sure how this maps to Europe's data privacy laws (GDPR), but clearly here it's an open field day for data mining/harvesting.

Wireless Communications: Some Porsche Connect Services are delivered via a wireless connection, and information about your use of the Porsche Connect Services may be communicated to Porsche through the wireless network. Please note that when signals are transmitted via public telecommunication networks outside your vehicle, third parties, especially network operators, may have access to certain information and potentially determine your location. In addition to the respective network operator, virtual network operators may also have access to this information.

So one can certainly surmise as you make your way to a mall, supermarket etc. that you will (since they will provide third party service providers with your phone/email etc.) start receiving unsolicited ads, not to mention your comings and goings will start to be monitored permanently.

I've always contended that it's not the government you need to watch out for it's the corporations. Oh and yes, it's $210 bucks you can pay to give them your data. Sweet...

siberian

PS You can substitute "may" for "will"...

Quick Reply: Wireless Apple Carplay setup