Macan 2014-Current

When is Remote Start coming?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 11:34 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Up here, and when temps dip below 10, 100% of folks and if you have a diesel 200% of folks.

As to heated windshield, some tests run on youtube show it takes between 5 and 7 minutes to clear a windshield. Can't remember what the temps were or how much accumulated snow.

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow

PS Light snow falling as we speak, temp -3C
Old 10-25-2019, 06:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,099 Posts

I'm a SoCal Beach native. Years ago, I lived in Boston for 5 years. I don't know how I made it. after we got 3ft of snow right before easter I walked into by bosses office and said "I'm out, moving back to CA. Either I'm quitting now or you're letting me work from LA. He agreed to the latter. We were packed up and moved in 30 days.

Seasons are overrated!!!
Old 10-25-2019, 06:29 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Interesting, we moved from Hawaii 13 years ago and the wife hasn't had to parallel park since... no traffic, no taxes, no neighbors

Seasons are needed: hunting, fishing, mushing and 3 days of Fall for the leaves :0}

siberian

Old 10-25-2019, 07:40 PM
///Bruce
Pro

Received 143 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-911
Every automaker (even BMW now) offers a remote start app from your smartphone! What is with Porsche?
You haven’t been keeping up with the news: a hack device used by car thieves. You lock your car and go into a store or restaurant. Your still within range of your car. They use a signal extender.

You come out and your car is gone.... With remote start it would seem to make it much easier. No thank you.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:29 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So I assume you don't use your FOB to open or lock your car or an automatic garage door opener?

What you describe is old news and not a signal extender but a receiver, a passive device listening in on neighboring frequencies. Like a radio it can grab frequencies but if they're solidly encrypted there's little more that they can do unless they have some serious computing power. The Viper remote start systems and others, for example, now work a two factor encrypted authentication with your cell phone. So simply listening to your code (which like your garage door) is a rolling code is only half of the equation.

If Porsche wanted to do it they could and list it as an option. I'm just not sure folks would pay what they would charge for something that on most other vehicles is around $500 bucks. But if folks are shelling out over $300 bucks per year for PCM...

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 10-25-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:58 PM
Chris-911
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
You haven’t been keeping up with the news: a hack device used by car thieves. You lock your car and go into a store or restaurant. Your still within range of your car. They use a signal extender.

You come out and your car is gone.... With remote start it would seem to make it much easier. No thank you.
Remote start these days is a smartphone app with your car hooked up to cellular LTE. Thieves are intercepting the signals of the cell tower and finding just the right encrypted digital sequence for your car, among all the thousands of voice calls and downloads and texts for other cell users? Sounds doubtful.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:04 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My point exactly

siberian

Old 10-27-2019, 09:12 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

All this talk about - temperatures...brrrr.. moved to South FL from NYC 30 years ago..DO NOT MISS THE ICE, SNOW, WINDSHIELD SCRAPING, DIGGING A CAR OUT...ETC as for 90 degree temps..I'm OK with that...
Old 10-27-2019, 12:43 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

DIGGING??? Oh my things have changed in 30 years. Now the wife says "You can now go out and play, thank you" instead of "when are you going to plow/dig the **&&^ driveway". Not to mention folks throw money at you to get them out of ditches or plow their driveways.

Proud to introduce my modified Gehl turbo diesel bobcat, Olga. Camera, strobes, LED light bar front/rear, oil pan and engine block heater... coffee cup holder. Current attachment an Erskine 85" snowblower

siberian

Old 10-27-2019, 11:52 PM
wwahl
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
DIGGING??? Oh my things have changed in 30 years. Now the wife says "You can now go out and play, thank you" instead of "when are you going to plow/dig the **&&^ driveway". Not to mention folks throw money at you to get them out of ditches or plow their driveways.

Proud to introduce my modified Gehl turbo diesel bobcat, Olga. Camera, strobes, LED light bar front/rear, oil pan and engine block heater... coffee cup holder. Current attachment an Erskine 85" snowblower

siberian

How many miles do you get per chain?
Old 10-28-2019, 12:24 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well for equipment we do don't miles but hours as with marine engines. So to put it in perspective, winter is 6 months or so, and thus it's only used at most half the year on gravel or dirt roads (my driveway is about 160 yards on 3 acres) and they're now 4 years old. Some surface rust is apparent on the chains but mostly from sitting in melted snow given our current temps. My closest paved road is close to my mailbox about 2.5 miles from the house.

In all they're still in great shape (though I had to replace one tension ring). The tires are all foam filled so I'll never have a flat and are mounted outboard to give me that extra 3 inches of clearance to put the chains on. I know it doesn't quite answer your question but in 4 years I've put in 80 hours maybe (with chains). In summer I use it to haul fallen trees out. Cost for the chains is about $500.

BTW, the blue tension cords are a waste, they're expensive and don't last long. I'm slowly replacing them with bungee cords.

siberian

The best long distance runner eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 10-28-2019, 12:28 AM
wwahl
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Well for equipment we do don't miles but hours as with marine engines. So to put it in perspective, winter is 6 months or so, and thus it's only used at most half the year on gravel or dirt roads (my driveway is about 160 yards on 3 acres) and they're now 4 years old. Some surface rust is apparent on the chains but mostly from sitting in melted snow given our current temps. My closest paved road is close to my mailbox about 2.5 miles from the house.

In all they're still in great shape (though I had to replace one tension ring). The tires are all foam filled so I'll never have a flat and are mounted outboard to give me that extra 3 inches of clearance to put the chains on. I know it doesn't quite answer your question but in 4 years I've put in 80 hours maybe (with chains). In summer I use it to haul fallen trees out. Cost for the chains is about $500.

BTW, the blue tension cords are a waste, they're expensive and don't last long. I'm slowly replacing them with bungee cords.

siberian

The best long distance runner eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
You knew I was just joking with you, but I bet you don't worry about a second set of summer tires with that rig.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:36 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No it was a valid question as I don't think most folks have bobcats/graders etc. in their stable. So in case someone was interested I tried my best to answer.

You're right, I don't have a set of summer tires for Olga But I do have a set of forks, bucket and blade for her

siberian

Old 10-28-2019, 10:40 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

OLGA - While your Stockifying her. Needs some carbon fiber accents. Maybe some wrapped yellow arms.
But does olga have remote start?

https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Yellow-Carbon-Release-Technology/dp/B01LYWW6GQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=carbon+fiber+wrap+yellow&qid=1572269819&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNUU5QTFKWjZUMzJXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTk3MDE2MVlWNkdJMUNDRTVTRyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODAyODc3M1BVWFIwUUFNS1c1TSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Yellow-Carbon-Release-Technology/dp/B01LYWW6GQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=carbon+fiber+wrap+yellow&qid=1572269819&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNUU5QTFKWjZUMzJXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTk3MDE2MVlWNkdJMUNDRTVTRyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODAyODc3M1BVWFIwUUFNS1c1TSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 10-28-2019, 11:35 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Alas, no. I have to go out there, start her and let her purr for a while (depending on how cold it is below 10F). Most folks here are appalled that my RS5 is in a warm garage and Olga is outside...

siberian

PS Her "arms" are already yellow, but maybe some Porsche rims?

Quick Reply: When is Remote Start coming?