Macan 2014-Current

When is Remote Start coming?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 06:25 AM
Chris-911
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts
Default When is Remote Start coming?

Every automaker (even BMW now) offers a remote start app from your smartphone! What is with Porsche?
Old 10-22-2019, 10:53 AM
Dr99
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn’t agree more. I let Porsche Connect lapse and just got their fold out, pop up, “please come back” marketing material. Sorry guys, no remote start? No value in the service whatsoever.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:20 AM
jll1011
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

The Connect app is worthless. A major disappointment.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:54 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,297 Likes on 1,364 Posts

I tried to install one years ago in my Touaregs, given where I live it would not have been a "nice to have" and gave up.

If it ever did, you would probably be looking at over 3 grand for what is around 700 bucks (VAR) on other vehicles. But then again they're not Porsches. I remember being asked once why I had two Touaregs, my reply?

Because I enjoy the pain...

siberian

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow
Old 10-23-2019, 12:25 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr99
I let Porsche Connect lapse and just got their fold out, pop up, “please come back” marketing material.
I just received the same thing. My subscription expires in Dec. I'm set for automatic renewal on my Porsche account, but debating if I'm gonna continue it or not. I don't find myself using the services/features it provides much at all, mainly because there's not much that's really useful or 'must have'. Most of what I need is available for free elsewhere via apps on my iPhone and using CarPlay.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:37 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Remote start? I had it on my Suburban. It was great in the snow time. Click, vroom, warm truck.
Macan - remote start. Don't really miss it. Heated seats warm up quickly. Heated steering wheel is neat too.
I sure Mrs Smoke thinks the car has remote start already, as it is always warm when she get out to it.
Not noticing the snowy foot prints or the ice on my dressing gown.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:21 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not sure where you live but obviously nowhere close to -40s... No it wasn't -60F, that's just how low the gauge went... It was a six dog night

siberian

Old 10-24-2019, 10:39 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

-5c I stop washing the cars outside.
Temperature is relative.
For me sweatshirt, -10c
coat below that.
My 8o yer old mom, escapes to florida after Canadian thanksgiving.
At the same time. I could not live in Arizona. +110F . That is crazy too.
remote start, for cooling would be a great idea.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:24 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Why so many things are not standard or available in one brand whilst offered in others is a mystery (to have to pay for dimmable mirrors in 2019 is an insult to humanity).

Remote start in exotic vehicles is one of them. Fear of electronic breach etc. or the assumption most buyers will store their vehicles in warm garages makes this an unlikely add on. I know a few people nine or ten years ago that installed their own remote start (sacrificing one of their keys) on their Touaregs. However, (like the stock market etc.) if I don't understand something totally I don't go for it. Electronics, alas, is not one of them plus being 400+ miles from at the time an incompetent dealer and 140 miles from the arctic circle requires that I understand all my mods and repairs. If I don't, then I don't

siberian

Old 10-24-2019, 03:20 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

I had a remote start in my 95 tahoe diesel.
As you mentioned, siberian, it played havoc and did not integrate well with the other systems in the vehicle.
i took it out.

At the same time. I bet some manufacturer are terrified of liability implications.
Some idiot it going to accidentally start their car in the garage and die of CO2.
Manufacturers can't seem to figure out semi-autonomous driving.
Drivers seem to even be able to fool the semi-autonomous systems, to make it fully autonomous, and the manufacturer still gets blamed.

I had friends install remote start in their standard transmission cars. Thus they had the no start, unless the clutch is pressed, feature taken out.
Thus, it could start in gear? 3-4 new sets of headlights later, he took the remote start out.

As 93% of new cars are automatic now. Less of a problem.
If people are walking away from their cars now while leaving them running, because of keyless FOB's. Imagine another way to poison oneself.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/14/aut...ide/index.html
Old 10-24-2019, 07:10 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Actually it did integrate (in the Touaregs) but it was very convoluted, impacted the Kessy module, SKC, sacrificed a key etc. and at one point I no longer followed what the electronics did (coming out of Russia) and decided to shelve it.

As to accidents/mishaps, let's mention the obvious "not all will be saved" and some folks will fall by the wayside from ignorance or stupidity or... and then of course there are the genuine accidents that do happen and not only from remote starts.

Where I live, after leaving your vehicle outside by -40 or below for 8 hours, being able to start it 10 minutes prior to leaving is really not bling. Adding nitrogen to your tires? Bling. Yes, by -40 or below your tires are square and you thump thump for the first mile or so until they warm up, but most of us here have workshops and compressors. What we don't have are tanks of nitrogen. Once you have them filled with that at a tire shop etc and add air, you've just defeated the whole issue.

But back to remote starts. Yes, I'm one of the very few who live in these latitudes though there are plenty of Porsche buyers in Russia, and Northern Europe and reason why Porsche comes up to Deadhorse, Alaska to test in winter and VDub/Audi/Bentley have a test center here where I drove for them one season. They are and can be made as idiot proof as possible and are useful but as someone once said: "You can't make something 100% idiot proof because idiots are so ingenious".

Some CA shops do modify Ferraris and Porsches and fit Viper or other Auto Starts. I couldn't care less about the warranty if I could do it for my wife, I would. But no such shops here and I'm not buying a kit from China with instructions written in ancient aramaic. But IMHO remote starts, for where I live, are extremely useful. Would I pay Porsche 3k+ for the option? No

siberian

Old 10-24-2019, 08:55 PM
Tim7139
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, maybe the long and short of why Porsche does not offer it is that from a purely technical perspective, it is not particularly good for engines, pure and simple.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:22 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not sure I follow that Tim. Can you expand? I know from running construction equipment (like my bobcat) the surest way to blow transmission lines, seals etc. is to start it and take off without warming them up by cold temps, especially diesels. When temps dip below 0F, I plug my bobcat in for at least 3 hours and then idle it for 15 minutes before engaging drive or hydraulics.

siberian

Old 10-25-2019, 09:34 AM
Chris-911
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 67 Posts

Selling an AWD family hauler with heated windshield, heated seats and heated steering wheel, a car made for the winter... but no remote start... is asinine. BMW got a clue and looks like Porsche is the odd man out.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:19 AM
Tim7139
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Not sure I follow that Tim. Can you expand? I know from running construction equipment (like my bobcat) the surest way to blow transmission lines, seals etc. is to start it and take off without warming them up by cold temps, especially diesels. When temps dip below 0F, I plug my bobcat in for at least 3 hours and then idle it for 15 minutes before engaging drive or hydraulics.

siberian

Sure. High output engines in general and Porsche, in particular.
It actually used to be an item in the manual advising against sitting at idle. For years the manual stated that correct procedure was to drive off slowly ,within one minute, and keep revs moderate until temps came up.
Now, obviously in full on winter conditions with our current crop of SUV's that is not going to be easy but how many spouses, in particular, let these things sit there 20-30 minutes until they get nice and "toasty" without needing to scrape a windshield.

Quick Reply: When is Remote Start coming?