Notices
Macan 2014-Current

New Macan Turbo owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019 | 02:50 PM
DrShafty
Intermediate

Default New Macan Turbo owner

Traded my Panamera Turbo on a low miles CPO MTT. Having fun with it.

After having had CTT and PTT daily drivers, the MTT seems less planted, and has a slight wander. Also the brakes are less progressive. Finally, the 'Hold' function seems at a minimum unnecessary for a sports car, and perhaps more of a problem than a help as it seems to grab at low speeds.

Anyone else have similar experience? esp about the slight wander. Not a great on center feel, as compared to the Cayenne Turbo. Quick grab on the brakes?

Otherwise it's a fun car. Definitely a sleeper.
Old 09-17-2019 | 04:17 PM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Congrats! I just picked up a Turbo myself, and noticed the same on the brakes. I'll be swapping over to a PCCB setup in the next few weeks, so hopefully this will give them a bit better feel.

I haven't noticed much wandering, but I had the dealer lower it 25mm via PIWIS and realign everything so mine feels pretty good.
Old 09-17-2019 | 05:13 PM
DrShafty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Draper
Congrats! I just picked up a Turbo myself, and noticed the same on the brakes. I'll be swapping over to a PCCB setup in the next few weeks, so hopefully this will give them a bit better feel.

I haven't noticed much wandering, but I had the dealer lower it 25mm via PIWIS and realign everything so mine feels pretty good.

Did lowering it disable the high setting function on the air suspension? Also, PCCB wow! that's a spendy upgrade aftersale..

If the air suspension function remains intact with the low setting down 25mm I think that will be in my future.
Old 09-17-2019 | 06:47 PM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrShafty
Did lowering it disable the high setting function on the air suspension? Also, PCCB wow! that's a spendy upgrade aftersale..

If the air suspension function remains intact with the low setting down 25mm I think that will be in my future.
The low, normal, and high levels all still work...each is now just 25mm lower. I originally asked them to do 10-15mm (GTS-ish height) but the alignment worked out better a slightly lower level. I'm pretty happy, and all the staff there thought it looked awesome. This is pretty much the exact height mine is now. https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ealership.html

For brakes, I found a set of take off PCCBs. Not free, but not the crazy ~$25k Porsche wants for a retrofit.
Old 09-17-2019 | 07:43 PM
DrShafty
Intermediate

The low, normal, and high levels all still work...each is now just 25mm lower. I originally asked them to do 10-15mm (GTS-ish height) but the alignment worked out better a slightly lower level. I'm pretty happy, and all the staff there thought it looked awesome. This is pretty much the exact height mine is now. https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ealership.html

For brakes, I found a set of take off PCCBs. Not free, but not the crazy ~$25k Porsche wants for a retrofit.

Well that sounds like a no brainer. I'll have it done at the next service. I should add that while the MTT handles much better than it has any right to, my CTT didn't lean as much. I anticipate lowering it will help that some.
Old 09-17-2019 | 07:54 PM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Well that sounds like a no brainer. I'll have it done at the next service. I should add that while the MTT handles much better than it has any right to, my CTT didn't lean as much. I anticipate lowering it will help that some.
You probably want to check with them first, as you want a tech who has done it before (on some Porsche car), as it’s not quite like doing an oil change. I think it was an hour of labor for the coding + an alignment for me. Maybe $500 all in?

I’m coming from an F80 M3, so I’m trying to get a few things dialed in. Cobb stage 1, intakes, upgraded diverter valves, and lowering done so far. Remus exhaust gets installed on Thurs, and PCCB hopefully around the first week of October (waiting for a new brake booster to come from Germany). I’m also considering doing a custom BGB to help cope with the altitude in Denver and smooth out some of the roughness of the Cobb.

These are great little cars, and with a few additions can be really awesome.
Old 09-17-2019 | 08:30 PM
DrShafty
Intermediate

You probably want to check with them first, as you want a tech who has done it before (on some Porsche car), as it’s not quite like doing an oil change. I think it was an hour of labor for the coding + an alignment for me. Maybe $500 all in?

I’m coming from an F80 M3, so I’m trying to get a few things dialed in. Cobb stage 1, intakes, upgraded diverter valves, and lowering done so far. Remus exhaust gets installed on Thurs, and PCCB hopefully around the first week of October (waiting for a new brake booster to come from Germany). I’m also considering doing a custom BGB to help cope with the altitude in Denver and smooth out some of the roughness of the Cobb.

These are great little cars, and with a few additions can be really awesome.

Is your car still under warranty? I ask per the Cobb tune.

I had GIAC tune on my panny, with Innotech valvetronic exhaust. Prolly wait to tune it until it's out of warranty.
Old 09-17-2019 | 09:09 PM
Draper
Rennlist Member

Is your car still under warranty? I ask per the Cobb tune.

I had GIAC tune on my panny, with Innotech valvetronic exhaust. Prolly wait to tune it until it's out of warranty.
Still 2 years left of warranty. Stage 1 is pretty tame. My dealer even installs them.
Old 09-18-2019 | 01:02 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Your CTT must have had PDCC which does make them corner amazingly flat for a 5,000 lb vehicle.

Draper, sounds like you have an awesome dealer.
Old 09-19-2019 | 10:40 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Traded my Panamera Turbo on a low miles CPO MTT. Having fun with it.

After having had CTT and PTT daily drivers, the MTT seems less planted, and has a slight wander. Also the brakes are less progressive. Finally, the 'Hold' function seems at a minimum unnecessary for a sports car, and perhaps more of a problem than a help as it seems to grab at low speeds.

Anyone else have similar experience? esp about the slight wander. Not a great on center feel, as compared to the Cayenne Turbo. Quick grab on the brakes?

Otherwise it's a fun car. Definitely a sleeper.
Congrats on the new (to you) MTT.

I too had 2 CTTs prior to getting a Macan. My last CTT had the optional PDCC which made it corner very flat, virtually no body roll. However my M GTS corners comparably. Did your CTT have PDCC?

Also the slight wander you mention doesn't sound normal. I never experienced this with any Macan, including two long term loaners I had during CTT service visits and now the one I own. I'd certainly mention that to the dealer and have them check it out.
Old 09-19-2019 | 04:18 PM
DrShafty
Intermediate

My CTT did indeed have PDCC; from time to time I would drive it in the canyon at 9/10ths always completely amazed at how unruffled and planted it was.

My Macan has an odd little wander, as if it were being buffeted by gusts. I'm having the car lowered next week and will have it aligned at that time, hopefully it will result in a more stable on center feel.
Old 09-19-2019 | 08:30 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

My CTT did indeed have PDCC; from time to time I would drive it in the canyon at 9/10ths always completely amazed at how unruffled and planted it was.

My Macan has an odd little wander, as if it were being buffeted by gusts. I'm having the car lowered next week and will have it aligned at that time, hopefully it will result in a more stable on center feel.
I would think there is something off creating that wander. My 2018 Turbo PP doesn't wander and is really planted with no lowering, just the lowest setting on the suspension selected and sport plus suspension setting. I am shocked at how planted a over 2 ton SUV is.
Old 09-19-2019 | 09:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Check your front wheel bearings and wheel carriers. A worn bearing will allow for enough angular movement to create a random steering wander.
Old 09-20-2019 | 12:00 PM
anselmw
Racer

agree our Macan turbo has no wander. As to brakes, the Macan has rear sliding caliper so it does not feel the same as cars with multi piston calipers on front and back. Also found the stock pad compound is not that aggressive.

We we just ordered a 2020 with the PCCB but I believe the rear caliper is still the same type.
Old 09-21-2019 | 02:34 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

A little bit of "wander" is what made me look into proper tire pressure (I have another thread about that) - when the front tires are low (seasons change and it gets cooler) our Macan seems to want to follow the ruts in the road a bit more. Check the tire pressure?

Another possibility is Lane Keep Assist (LKA) if you have it, it moves the car around a bit to keep you in the lane and if the lane markings are unclear it can get confused. You'll feel that in the steering wheel though, not really similar to wind gust (and if you are coming from a Panamera or Cayenne it's possible you've had that option and know what it feels like already).

Quick Reply: New Macan Turbo owner