Macan 2014-Current

Major service Macan S-spark plugs,filters and PDK fluid replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 12:08 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
That is a ridiculous price! I bet you the Indy will do it for less than half!
35o at one of my indy's.
My other trusted indy, does not have the equipment to calibrate the new oils level. I guess his abacus, will not talk to the OBD2 port.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 04-04-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:47 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

That is a ridiculous price! I bet you the Indy will do it for less than half!
Great video.

$2850 is a crazy obscene price . . not only No but hell no!!

Did you notice in the vid the PDK fluid was virtually clean? Not saying it doesn't need to be done and/or filters, but Porsche is erring to the extra safe side for most normal useage if that Macan had 40,000 miles or in that range on it at the time of this vid. Just saw that one had 15,000 miles on it ..

Last edited by TexasRider; 04-04-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:42 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Great video.

$2850 is a crazy obscene price . . not only No but hell no!!

Did you notice in the vid the PDK fluid was virtually clean? Not saying it doesn't need to be done and/or filters, but Porsche is erring to the extra safe side for most normal useage if that Macan had 40,000 miles or in that range on it at the time of this vid. Just saw that one had 15,000 miles on it ..
Yes,I did notice it was clean. With 15.000 miles it's not surprising. I definitely recommend changing the fluid every 40K or so! It's cheap insurance considering how expensive these PDK units are...and to my knowledge,when one fails they replace the whole PDK at the tune of 15K $. I still haven't heard of a rebuild option from Porsche or aftermarket...
Old 04-04-2019, 10:58 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes,I did notice it was clean. With 15.000 miles it's not surprising. I definitely recommend changing the fluid every 40K or so! It's cheap insurance considering how expensive these PDK units are...and to my knowledge,when one fails they replace the whole PDK at the tune of 15K $. I still haven't heard of a rebuild option from Porsche or aftermarket...
I agree completely.

I have been looking today at one of these for Mrs TR . . so I am dialing in some on them.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:59 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
35o at one of my indy's.
My other trusted indy, does not have the equipment to calibrate the new oils level. I guess his abacus, will not talk to the OBD2 port.
350$ for everything described in this service?! Now that's dirt cheap!
Abacus? LOL!
I think there's a few aftermarket tools able to read data off the transmission control module. Not too hard,he's basically looking at one PID : and that's transmission oil temperature.
I'm not sure about a relatively new Macan,but my Autel rocks on many German brands! If your Indy is using SnapOn or similar,it might not work. Great scantool for many things,more of an abacus for imports. Chinese clones win those wars almost every time... Probably,best aftermarket tool for Porsche would be a Durametric...
Old 04-07-2019, 09:32 PM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

This is a great thread, I'm glad I found it!

I'm new to the community and have been thinking about getting a Macan S (2015) myself. I've been very interested in the car, however I've always been off-put by the potential maintenance costs.

I used to have an Audi A5 3.2 V6 and loved that car, but the maintenance was getting quite expensive. I ended up doing much of the maintenance myself and the video in this thread makes it look as if DIY maintenance on a Macan can be pretty straight forward for the spark plugs/PDK transmission service/oil change.

Are there any major issues a potential new Macan owner should be aware of? My understanding of this platform is that it is quite reliable without any blaring issues.

Great video!
Old 04-08-2019, 10:09 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

The tech in the video answered a question about cost at his dealership : he said 1350$,not including the spark plugs...
Old 04-08-2019, 04:51 PM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

Yes, I saw that. with spark plugs I'm guessing that would put it closer to 2k? I'm also nowhere near Chicago... I'd have to do some research into how much that service would cost near me.

Most of that is a moot point as I will most likely be looking at buying it Germany this Summer when I move there.

I am concerned about overall cost of components, but wasn't sure how much more expensive than my Audi it was. I would be able to afford it if it fell within the realm of the A5's maintenance costs. I was able to do my own spark plug/oil change services on that vehicle. I feel confident I could service much of that on my own.

I suppose we shall see, then! Not sure if it's better to buy a Macan here or over there. If I bought over there, it might not be "US" spec and probably could not bring it back. Much to consider.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by WolfDenShoebox
Yes, I saw that. with spark plugs I'm guessing that would put it closer to 2k? I'm also nowhere near Chicago... I'd have to do some research into how much that service would cost near me.

Most of that is a moot point as I will most likely be looking at buying it Germany this Summer when I move there.

I am concerned about overall cost of components, but wasn't sure how much more expensive than my Audi it was. I would be able to afford it if it fell within the realm of the A5's maintenance costs. I was able to do my own spark plug/oil change services on that vehicle. I feel confident I could service much of that on my own.

I suppose we shall see, then! Not sure if it's better to buy a Macan here or over there. If I bought over there, it might not be "US" spec and probably could not bring it back. Much to consider.
1) I would definitely consider DIY-ing the maintenance as a first option. It doesn't seem to be a particular hard car to work on...
2) My second option would be a specialized Independent shop that works on high end cars.
3) I would leave the dealer as a third option. And I would pay that kind of money only if I knew I am getting the type of service we are seeing in this video! Which unfortunately it's not the case with most dealerships...
Old 04-09-2019, 01:23 PM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Must CPO Macan Be Serviced at a Porsche Dealer?

I'm looking at a 2018 Macan with 5,000 miles, almost $47k but has a build sheet I like and it is CPO. My question: Does the CPO warranty require routine maintenance service be done at a Porsche dealer?

--Bob
Old 04-09-2019, 02:44 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

No, it does not. Just maintain detailed records and keep receipts for the supplies that you buy (oil change kit, oil, spark plugs) and keep a log of what you've done. If all the maintenance can be substantiated, then they can't legally deny you the warranty coverage (according the the Magnussen Moss act). Believe it or not a statement about that fact was included by the dealer with my paperwork when I picked up my Macan.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:58 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

350$ for everything described in this service?! Now that's dirt cheap!
Abacus? LOL!
I think there's a few aftermarket tools able to read data off the transmission control module. Not too hard,he's basically looking at one PID : and that's transmission oil temperature.
I'm not sure about a relatively new Macan,but my Autel rocks on many German brands! If your Indy is using SnapOn or similar,it might not work. Great scantool for many things,more of an abacus for imports. Chinese clones win those wars almost every time... Probably,best aftermarket tool for Porsche would be a Durametric...
Just picked up the car. All levels check out. All the computers check out. Indy filled out the invoice with more word and information that usual. $235 plus tax.
He suggested he wanted to see the car at 60k. He will do the oil and PDK service.
I will do the plugs and filters.
An air intake filter is 39 usd x 2, or 82cdn x 2. Almost twice as expensive with conversion. Waiting for a sale.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:17 PM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

I feel as if I can DIY the filters, plugs, and oil change pretty easily. With a jack stands and floor jacks; I can probably learn to do the pads and rotors as well.

I definitely feel more comfortable with the idea that the only service I would really need the dealer for would be the PDK service. All the other maintenance items appear to use traditional tools. Has anyone done rotors and pads on these things, yet? Is it complex/complicated? How about messing with the rear brakes?
Old 04-10-2019, 05:39 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

The problem with the rear brakes in these cars is the electric parking brake. If you have a competent scantool you would use that to put the electric parking brake into " Service mode ". That would allow you to push the pistons back in without damaging the parking brake motor.
I have not done it on the Macan,but I've done a few on other VAG products,particularly Audi. I have heard of DIY-ers using different methods,some might work better than the others : some said the motors had an Allen key slot where you can wind the motor back manually. Some have hooked up a power and a ground to the motor's electrical connector...what that would do is activate the motor. And if you hooked them up wrong,all you had to do is reverse polarity : it works like every DC motor-power and ground goes one way,switch polarity it goes the other. Somehow I have a feeling it might be harder to figure out the correct wires without a wiring diagram on a Macan. That's because it probably has more wires : like communication/signal wires...
Also,the electric parking brake on a Porsche is quite finicky : I've had it on my GT4 and now GT3. After pad replacement it needs to learn the contact points/distances...which obviously have gotten smaller with new pads. I'm not sure if the parking brake module can learn that by itself or it requires the assistance of a scantool...
Pretty crazy stuff for what used to be a routine brake pads change...
Old 04-10-2019, 06:02 PM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

I have always been fearful of doing the rear brakes on cars with the electronic parking brake. My A5 had an electronic brake and I took it to the shop to service the rear pad and rotors. Cost me under 600 bucks for parts and labor, so it wasn't bad. I may have to do that for the Macan as well, if I decide to get one...

Right now I'm at PDK and rear brake service being a shop-requirement. I'm still trying to figure out if it's smart for me to even get a Macan here and ship it with me to Germany, or to buy one there (Euro-spec) and try to get rid of it before I get back after 3 years! Haha

Quick Reply: Major service Macan S-spark plugs,filters and PDK fluid replacement