Notices
Macan 2014-Current

Why Only Chrome/Silver Trim Interiors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 10:01 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Why Only Chrome/Silver Trim Interiors?

OK, here's one of my pet peeves about Porsche. So you can take the Porsche Configurator and start with the *base* Macan at $50k, and add in more than $70k in options to get the thing over $120k -- all sorts of interior and exterior "stuff", much of which is just incredibly ostentacious. You can put in all kinds of leather, carbon, aluminum, etc., etc. But you CANNOT remove the silver/chrome outlines present throughout the dash, doors, and steering wheel, and I want to know why not! I dislike chrome anywhere inside or outside my car; inside, it looks tacky and cheap. My 2001 Volvo wagon has all black trim outlines on everything, and it's far superior in looks. Chrome/silver outlined trim not only looks tacky, but it reflects a lot of sunlight needlessly into the driver's eyes. Does anybody have any idea why, with Porsche allowing you to add in well over a base-car's price in options, you cannot have the option to get rid of chrome/silver trim??? I'd definitely pay to have the trim in dark wood, dark leather, dark matte metal (non-reflective), dark matte (non-reflective) plastic, dark paint -- anything other than chrome/silver!

Am I the only person who feels this way?

Last edited by cometguy; 11-30-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:56 AM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Talk to Porsche Exclusive via your dealer. Just about anything can be done for a price.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:36 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip Goughary
Talk to Porsche Exclusive via your dealer. Just about anything can be done for a price.
Bingo!! Was going to say the same.

As for the steering wheel trim, you can address that with a $300 OEM part from the GT-series 911s.... https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUSWTBLK.html
Old 11-30-2018, 01:08 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

My dealer rep says that nothing can be done to all that trim, which he says is aluminum, not chrome (I don't care what it's called) -- except for the GT steering wheel option. Sigh...
Well, I hope that Porsche listens to its customers, and I'm still interested in hearing from other Rennlist followers if they feel the same way as I do about shiny, flashy trim.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:32 PM
ozziegt
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Design is art, and art is in the eye of the beholder. I think some contrast and accents are nice from a design perspective, otherwise it just feels cheap. And I agree it's brushed aluminum trim, which looks very different than shiny chrome would. These accents feel like metal (not sure if they are? Maybe some composite?) which IMO makes the interior feel more solid. I'm sure you could find someone who will gladly take those interior bits off and refinish them.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:55 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by cometguy
My dealer rep says that nothing can be done to all that trim, which he says is aluminum, not chrome (I don't care what it's called) -- except for the GT steering wheel option. Sigh...
Well, I hope that Porsche listens to its customers, and I'm still interested in hearing from other Rennlist followers if they feel the same way as I do about shiny, flashy trim.
I don't mind the 'aluminum' finish trim myself. I think it's of a high enough quality befitting a Porsche and looks to be in harmony with most interiors. I had the same in my two Cayenne Turbos.

That said however, I can also see the appeal of a more subdued style, be it something like black anodized brushed aluminum, carbon fiber, or painted trim.

With your current interior, you could have those components covered in a high quality vinyl wrap (3M or Avery) by a reputable shop in whatever color you desired...they even offer very realistic CF vinyls. It would look OEM if done by an experienced professional installer, at a greater savings than OEM replacement components (if they even existed in another finish), and certainly way less than ordering a new Macan with a bunch of Exclusive (CXX) options!

Of course Porsche could also offer a 'monochrome blackout' interior package (or something similar) for the Macan as a regular option at a much more attractive price than going the Exclusive route....I think that's what you're ultimately suggesting? I could agree with that.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:53 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

I guess I was thinking that so many people like zero chrome on the outside of their Porsches, with lots of people going for blacking out PORSCHE on the back side, getting rid of model badging, having black-rimmed wheels, black exhaust pipes... I figured then that it would be only natural to get rid of the chrome appearance internally also. I've lived with chrome in my Porsches with no problem (except for solar reflection glare, which can be a real pain). It's just an observation: why doesn't Porsche give us the option to "black out" or "darken" the shiny trim in the interior, especially with so many other options (many of them rather bizarre)? I suspect that many would use the option if offered. That's all.

Last edited by cometguy; 11-30-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:02 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Originally Posted by cometguy
I guess I was thinking that so many people like zero chrome on the outside of their Porsches, with lots of people going for blacking out PORSCHE on the back side, getting rid of model badging, having black-rimmed wheels, black exhaust pipes... I figured then that it would be only natural to get rid of the chrome appearance internally also. I've lived with chrome in my Porsches with no problem. It's just an observation: why doesn't Porsche give us the option to "black out" or "darken" the shiny trim in the interior? I suspect that many would use the option if offered. That's all.
Yep, understand completely. Agree that would be a nice option to have, and might be quite popular too.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:28 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 857 Likes on 526 Posts

Looks like there are a few different "metal finish" choices for the 992. I guess the higher up the model chain you go, the more you can spec.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:21 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,445 Likes on 4,107 Posts

A finished metal piece wears much better than a coating on a piece. Where some of your arrows point, like door handles, shift lever, steering wheel near the multi-function controls, etc those are probably metal to keep them looking good over time, and then if just those pieces were metal it would look odd, so they spread the same finish around to keep it cohesive.

If you need an example, look at the painted door handles of the 997 where the paint gets scratched up from wedding rings.

Now, maybe an anodized aluminum would hold up OK and carbon fiber with the clear coat is pretty good, though the OEM Porsche stuff isn't as good as the MA Carbon stuff with respect to delamination and discoloring.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:54 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Bingo!! Was going to say the same.

As for the steering wheel trim, you can address that with a $300 OEM part from the GT-series 911s.... https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUSWTBLK.html
Thanks - I didn't know you could do that. But damn, I know it's Porsche, but $315??
Old 12-05-2018, 12:16 AM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

yep, got tired being blinded by the interior.. so took what I could and powder coated, or sent off to make molds for carbon replacements..
Old 12-05-2018, 12:22 AM
LandCruiser
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one thing I hate is the trim around the shifter, it catches sunlight and blinds me.

This is the first car I've had with chrome/brushed aluminium interior trim and I'm not a fan. Black plastic would have been fine.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:27 AM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bojali
yep, got tired being blinded by the interior.. so took what I could and powder coated, or sent off to make molds for carbon replacements..
Please provide some details as to what you mean, regarding what you did... This looks really good, and it's exactly what Porsche SHOULD be doing...
Old 12-05-2018, 03:40 PM
bojali
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I used a interior trim tool and pulled off the trim. Around the shift area (picture) its quite easy to remove. Other places not so much. So pulled this offending part, sand, paint, clear coat. and reinstalled. . I would assume any good paint guy can do this.

Quick Reply: Why Only Chrome/Silver Trim Interiors?